Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Wellbrook ALA1530S+ Help

Reviews Summary for Wellbrook ALA1530S+
Wellbrook ALA1530S+ Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $320.00
Description: Active Receive Loop Antenna

You can write your own review of the Wellbrook ALA1530S+.

K2PMC Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2015 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the ALA1530S+ for 3 days now and in a word "OUTSTANDING". It is mounted on a 6' tower with a rotor. Overall height is 15'. I have a Flex 5000 SDR which has 2 receivers, both of the same quality. Dual pan adapters allow me to also see the signals for a visual comparison. My main antenna is a Phased Array consisting of 2 full sized 80M dipoles fed in phase which works very well from 80 - 10 meters.

Typical setup is Phased Array into the left ear piece, Wellbrook Loop into the right. This provides true diversity reception. Thus far I have listened on 160 thru 17 meters. On 160 and 80 there is no comparison. The Loop is 15-25db quieter, depending upon band conditions. Under severe QRN conditions it might even be better. But the bands have been unusually quiet the past few days. Signals not even audible on the Phased Array are 100% copy on the Loop. Some were as low as S3 and solid. It is directional on these bands with deep nulls off the side. As I write this I am listening to AM on the BC band. The loop is 35db quieter. Many stations that I can't even hear or see on the Phased Array are Q5 on the Loop.

On 40 and 30 the results are a little different. First, the Loop is not as directional. The Loop is usually as strong or stronger than the Phased Array. The Loop has consistently been 10-15 db quieter resulting in better readability. Last night I had a 40M QSO with a station in FL running a KX3 at 10W. He was a Q3-4 on the Phased Array and solid Q5 on the loop.

On 20 and 17 the Loop is also not as directional. These bands are generally quieter than the lower bands. However, the loop has been about 10db quieter here also. I just switched to 20. At this time the Loop is 5db quieter. So far signals are about the same in strength but I have noticed situations where one antenna is stronger than the other. Just switched to 17 and the Loop is almost 10db quieter with signals the same.

My Phased Array is 340' of wire in a horizontal U configuration, up at least 40'. The Loop is 1 meter in diameter at 15'. This is one amazing antenna. A keeper for me. I am not the type to buy antennas. This is only the second one I have bought in my life but it sure was worth it to me.
WB4RTP Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 01:02 Send this review to a friend
More signal, less noise.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the ALA 330S version which has lower gain for LF-MW since I primarily wanted to improve HF reception. I mounted it on a 10-foot mast on the far corner of my carport to get it further away from potential noise sources in the house, so it is about 20 feet above ground level. I followed the advice in the manual about adding additional support for windy locations, and this took several hours of effort putting together a mount using PVC pipe and adapters. The mount that comes with the ALA 330S is not compatible with common 1.25" TV mast hardware, so that took some extra thought and effort, but I think I have a fairly robust mount.

I am pleased with the performance. Compared to reception on my S9 31v (mounted as a ground plane on the roof of my house), the ALA 330S typically has lower noise and stronger signal. This is most dramatic on 20m, less so on other bands. I haven't spent time assessing the depth of the pattern null that is supposed to be there. I mounted it on an NTE U-105 rotator with the NTE TB-105 thrust bearing. The TB-105 really makes the U-105 considerably more robust (and still inexpensive), and may be overkill for the ALA 330S (at least I hope so, my location can get some stiff winds).
W9JY Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance and Great Customer Service from Wellbrook  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first loop antenna. This one got me hooked on using magnetic loops for small spaces. I live in a townhouse in the city. This antenna works well even inside of my townhouse on the first floor. Get it upstairs or outside and it works even better. I've used it for things like pulling in weak low power AM stations and monitoring the HF bands. This loop is receive only. Hearing lots of HF stations is what convinced me to look into transmitting loops for HF. I still have the Wellbrook and love it!

Wellbrook's customer service is also outstanding. The first loop got lost in the mail. It was not Wellbrook's fault. The post office is notoriously bad in my neighborhood. I contacted Wellbrook. They immediately sent me another loop. I was very impressed with the way they treated me. I highly recommend them.
AKREIDER Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Rejects Noise  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently moved and hooked up my Drake R8 to a random wire in the backyard. I was overwhelmed with power line noise, other RFI, and considered giving up on radio. Instead I read the reviews and got this antenna. My impression is that a Pixel Pro loop would perform similarly.

I installed the Wellbrook on a ten foot pole in my backyard with a rotor. Currently it is ten feet from the noisy power lines, but it does a good job of rejecting the noise (10-25 db). The rotor lets me null out noise (or local AM stations) by 10-40 db. A 25 db null is typical for local AM stations.

For my purposes, noise rejection is more important than signal. This antenna gets more than enough signal on any frequency that I use (0-30 mhz) and rejects noise. I use the passive interface causes a local AM station to overload my QS1R.

It was easy to install and is lightweight.
K4FMH Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Best Rx Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this loop for about five years, using it with a Japan Radio NRD-545 and a Perseus SDR. It's been installed on a fiberglass pole about 5 feet above the roof line with a light-weight rotator. The low-noise preamp at the Rx was powered by the Stancor wall-wart from Wellsbrook in the UK. Andy Ikin of Wellsbrook and the associated Yahoo Group on the 1530+ give terrific support on this loop!

Over 50 years of SWLing, the combination of the 1530+ and the Perseus SDR is the most effective combination of Rx and antenna I've ever used. The noise level is fairly low, even during static crashes in the South. The nulls are not as sharp as, say, as a ferrite-core loop (Quantum Pro+) but they do work effectively. When all other antennas fail to dig out a weak signal, the 1530+ seems to work. Their ordering system has been improved---using credit cards---since I made my purchase so it's easier to order.
KH6OO Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2009 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Great receive only antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was impressed with the construction,,,,,and now I have the perfect solution for my situation,,,,I live in a condo on the29th floor so my antenna configurations have been a challenge for sure ,,,,,I have just finished my second tunable magnetic loop and it out performs my last by about
30%,,,,,,I went from 7/8" diameter Aluminum to 2" Copper,,,,but it takes about 2 minutes to tune from one end to the other and I am a bit impatient and sometime reluctant to tune to find
signals,,,,soooooooo this antenna is the answer,,,,,,the signal to noise is about what I expected,,,,,I see about 2 S-units over the
tuned loop,,,,NOT a problem at all,,,,,I can now quickly listen anywhere I want in seconds rather than minutes and I have a clear idea if there is a band opening,,,,,I monitor the beacons all the
time,,,,,,,I admit not many will want to spend the dollars I did to achieve these goals but for me it was worth it twice over.