Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | workman cx-3 Help

Reviews Summary for workman cx-3
workman cx-3 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 1.6/5 MSRP: $approx.20.00
Description: coaxial antenna switch

You can write your own review of the workman cx-3.

KP4MD Rating: 1/5 Aug 6, 2016 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Do not use this above 10 MHz  Time owned: more than 12 months
A vendor at an amateur radio convention sold these for $10, labelled as a 3-position coaxial antenna switch with a 1000 watt capacity. These switches are listed on the web under various brand names such as Opek and Workman, in the price range from $12 to $25.
The two sections of a two pole three position switch are wired in parallel, apparently to increase the current capacity. The stray capacitance and inductive coupling between the unshielded hook up wires adversely affects the impedance and isolation between the ports.
The random reactance of the wiring results in greater than 3 dB insertion loss between 18 and 32 MHz when switched to Output 1 and between 14 and 43 MHz on Output 2, with a maximum insertion loss of 11.5 dB at 25 MHz.
The worse case Output 1 to Output 2 isolation is 42 dB at 3.5 MHz and 24 dB at 28 MHz. A 100 watt signal on port 1 may couple nearly 1/2 watt of RF power to port 2 at 28 MHz.
Photos and data with captions are posted at https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/114032640816757126398/albums/6315817914950482001

KM5WD Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2015 06:55 Send this review to a friend
WORKMAN/OPEK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You get what you pay for. Problem with this proverb it is worth a whole lot LESS than the $25 I paid. Maybe for the (4) SO239's and the knob...and the box....$6.

*output power dropped significantly
*on some freq's there was no antenna seperation. Couldn't compare receive signals.

Maybe I will rebuild it as suggested but I shouldn't have to.

K1DUN Rating: 0/5 Sep 12, 2014 09:19 Send this review to a friend
JUNK!! Don't waste $$!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this unit so I could switch between an omni and a beam on 2 meters. However, this switch reflected power back to the radio and degraded my signal. When I switched to the beam, my SWR was 3.5 and power output was only 10 watts from a 60-watt radio. When I eliminated the switch and went directly into the antenna, I got a 1.3 SWR with 60 watts out. Same results with the omni. Horrible quality switch. Unusable - unless you need a paper weight. Save your money to spend on a higher quality switch!

RX3ANF Rating: 3/5 Aug 12, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
For receiver's antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this switch two years for receiver antenna and HF transceiver to 100 watts and VHF transceiver to 80 watts. For receiver - very good. For transceivers - interference induction between adjacent channels.

N2FSU Rating: 0/5 Dec 3, 2012 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Piece of JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this switch on Ebay to use for 2 meters. When I hooked it up and used it the first time my radio showed a high SWR. When I took the switch apart I saw why. It uses regular electrical 18 gauge wire between connections. This is the type of junk you would see at a CB Shop. The switch says it can handle 1000 watts. Judging the poor quality of this switch there is no way it can handle any kind of power like that. Do yourself a favor and buy a good quality switch. Because this switch is a piece of crap.

AA5VU Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2012 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Good for $10  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read all of the negative comments and decided to try one anyway for $10. It works fine, handles the power and is better that the one it replaced. If it starts giving me trouble, I will replace the wiring per the K2OWK tip.

I needed the way the Workman was arranged for my setup (input on one side and three outputs).

Only time will tell if it is a keeper but for $10 it is Good.

K8JHR Rating: 3/5 May 23, 2012 02:10 Send this review to a friend
Just OK -- and only at low power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these coax switches only with receivers. Isolation is poor. Construction and materials are of just average quality. I would not transmit more than 100 watts with one of these, and probably only use it to switch atennas to one rig - I would NEVER trust its isolation to protect a second rig from damage to its receiver front end when transmitting ANY amount of power through this switch.

For the money, about $12 street price, it is just a fair to good receive-only switch, but the below-average quality construction and materials prevents me from using it on transmit, and if I did, only to select one of up to three antennas, and never to isolate a second receiver/transceiver.

Just MY take. // James - K8JHR //

KB0VOY Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2012 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This switch has served me well. I have 3 of the Opek model CX-3 switches. They are not a Delta by no means. They are far better than MFJ. I have repaired and thrown out 4 MFJ switches. That is throwing money away. 1KW? I would only try that with my Delta 4. Have not had to open any of the switches so I don't know if it is full of cheese or what. The switch has screws not pop rivets so it looks like no big deal to get in side. If ain't broke don't fix it. It is a good product.

K2OWK Rating: 3/5 Mar 8, 2011 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Fair switch if modified  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am giving this antenna switch another review. I have been using mine for a few months now. I have had no problems with it. I use a 100 watt transmitter. I do not think it would handle 1 KW, but I have not tested it for this. While the wiring is standard stranded wire it is a very short run and within the switch, and should make no difference in power transfer. It makes no difference in VSWR. In the way back days we used a knife switch to transfer antennas without problems. The only thing I did was to modify position three with RG8X coax to allow me to use this position for 6 meter operation. The switch is OK and I have had no mechanical problems with this switch.

K8HRO Rating: 1/5 Feb 3, 2011 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Not worth even $10  Time owned: more than 12 months
One look inside will tell you this switch is not meant for transmitting. Isolation is non-existent. Plain hookup wire is used for the connections and the wires are too long and poorly dressed. The switch would probably be fine for a receive only setup which is the only reason I gave it a 1 rating instead of a zero. I don't trust it for transmitting. It's rated at 1000 watts! Give me a break!