Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | workman cx-3 Help

Reviews Summary for workman cx-3
workman cx-3 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 1.9/5 MSRP: $approx.20.00
Description: coaxial antenna switch

You can write your own review of the workman cx-3.

RX3ANF Rating: 3/5 Aug 12, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
For receiver's antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this switch two years for receiver antenna and HF transceiver to 100 watts and VHF transceiver to 80 watts. For receiver - very good. For transceivers - interference induction between adjacent channels.

N2FSU Rating: 0/5 Dec 3, 2012 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Piece of JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this switch on Ebay to use for 2 meters. When I hooked it up and used it the first time my radio showed a high SWR. When I took the switch apart I saw why. It uses regular electrical 18 gauge wire between connections. This is the type of junk you would see at a CB Shop. The switch says it can handle 1000 watts. Judging the poor quality of this switch there is no way it can handle any kind of power like that. Do yourself a favor and buy a good quality switch. Because this switch is a piece of crap.

AA5VU Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2012 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Good for $10  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read all of the negative comments and decided to try one anyway for $10. It works fine, handles the power and is better that the one it replaced. If it starts giving me trouble, I will replace the wiring per the K2OWK tip.

I needed the way the Workman was arranged for my setup (input on one side and three outputs).

Only time will tell if it is a keeper but for $10 it is Good.

K8JHR Rating: 3/5 May 23, 2012 02:10 Send this review to a friend
Just OK -- and only at low power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these coax switches only with receivers. Isolation is poor. Construction and materials are of just average quality. I would not transmit more than 100 watts with one of these, and probably only use it to switch atennas to one rig - I would NEVER trust its isolation to protect a second rig from damage to its receiver front end when transmitting ANY amount of power through this switch.

For the money, about $12 street price, it is just a fair to good receive-only switch, but the below-average quality construction and materials prevents me from using it on transmit, and if I did, only to select one of up to three antennas, and never to isolate a second receiver/transceiver.

Just MY take. // James - K8JHR //

KB0VOY Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2012 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
This switch has served me well. I have 3 of the Opek model CX-3 switches. They are not a Delta by no means. They are far better than MFJ. I have repaired and thrown out 4 MFJ switches. That is throwing money away. 1KW? I would only try that with my Delta 4. Have not had to open any of the switches so I don't know if it is full of cheese or what. The switch has screws not pop rivets so it looks like no big deal to get in side. If ain't broke don't fix it. It is a good product.

K2OWK Rating: 3/5 Mar 8, 2011 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Fair switch if modified  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am giving this antenna switch another review. I have been using mine for a few months now. I have had no problems with it. I use a 100 watt transmitter. I do not think it would handle 1 KW, but I have not tested it for this. While the wiring is standard stranded wire it is a very short run and within the switch, and should make no difference in power transfer. It makes no difference in VSWR. In the way back days we used a knife switch to transfer antennas without problems. The only thing I did was to modify position three with RG8X coax to allow me to use this position for 6 meter operation. The switch is OK and I have had no mechanical problems with this switch.

K8HRO Rating: 1/5 Feb 3, 2011 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Not worth even $10  Time owned: more than 12 months
One look inside will tell you this switch is not meant for transmitting. Isolation is non-existent. Plain hookup wire is used for the connections and the wires are too long and poorly dressed. The switch would probably be fine for a receive only setup which is the only reason I gave it a 1 rating instead of a zero. I don't trust it for transmitting. It's rated at 1000 watts! Give me a break!

K2OWK Rating: 2/5 Dec 8, 2010 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Needs rewire to be good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just bought one of these before reading the reviews on it. I opened the case after reading the reviews, and they are correct. The internal wiring is just insulated stranded wire, but for $10.00 you get 4 UHF connectors a nice switch and a good case. With some rework you can have a good inexpesive antenna switch. Replace the wire with RG-8X coax using the center conductor to the center of each connector throught the switch. Connect the shield to the connector ground of each UHF connector do not connect the other side of the shield and bring the unconnected shield as close to the center attchment as possible without shorting it. The switch will now have good isolation and handle about 300 watts. and will work to 100 MHZ or so.

N5VEG Rating: 1/5 Aug 25, 2010 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A local ham friend of mine got me a new Opek model CX-3 1000Watt coax switch at a recent hamfest. I hooked up the switch to my 10,20 and 80 meter antennas with my Yaesu 857D running at 75 watts. Well, it didn't tune up correctly on 80 meters exhibiting a very high SWR which the tuner could not lower. I tried it on 10 meters and it's tuned with a 1.8 SWR but power was reduced significantly according to my Siltronics watt meter. A look inside shows small gauge wire and hasty routing and soldering of same. This leads me to believe that in spite of the switch setting, RF is leaking to the other two antennas. It is labeled at 1000watts but it can't handle 75! It would probably glow in the dark at 1000 or just go "POOF"!

I am disappointed in this product and my friend is embarrassed!

Avoid at any price!

KA8OCN Rating: 1/5 Jan 7, 2010 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Gave mine away  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I should have known better.
This switch shows "You only get what you pay for"

I broke down, spend the money and purchased Alpha Delta switches. Good investment and I am sure they will outlast me!