Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | workman cx-3 Help

Reviews Summary for workman cx-3
workman cx-3 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 1.8/5 MSRP: $approx.20.00
Description: coaxial antenna switch

You can write your own review of the workman cx-3.

KA8OCN Rating: 1/5 Jan 7, 2010 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Gave mine away  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I should have known better.
This switch shows "You only get what you pay for"

I broke down, spend the money and purchased Alpha Delta switches. Good investment and I am sure they will outlast me!

KC2SSB Rating: 0/5 Jan 7, 2010 19:46 Send this review to a friend
STAY AWAY!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this switch off of Ebay, only looking at the price tag. I intended to use it to switch between my FT-857D and a CB. When I tried using my FT-857D on 52.525 through this switch, the power was reduced to 50w. Extended keying down on this frequency also appeared to heat up the switch. I've scraped this POS and went with an MFJ 4 pos switch (MFJ-1704). I should really know by now that cheap price isn't always good.

KG4CYX Rating: 0/5 Jun 10, 2009 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Fail.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna switch violates nearly every possible law of RF design. Losses and crosstalk will be incredible above VHF. The unit will likely flash over LONG before you approach its supposed 1000 watt rating!

The wiring inside the switch is excessively long and sloppy lengths of 18 gauge PVC insulated wire with really melty, burnt insulation, like you'd find in a bad Chinese lamp. In places, it runs right together, ensuring nice capacitive coupling to unused ports!

The switch itself is a rather awful little rotary switch that is not designed for RF use. The contacts are diagonal strips of metal that sit very close and parallel to each other - that's right, more capacitive coupling. A proper antenna switch has a lot more separation!

What would this switch be good for? Switching between different signal sources to an HF *reciever*. What is this switch not good for? ANYTHING ELSE. This thing's likely to flashover and take our your transmitter, or feed signal from a transmitter right into a receiver and blast it to bits.

VE7REN Rating: 3/5 Feb 1, 2009 10:23 Send this review to a friend
ummm well??  Time owned: more than 12 months
i agree these are not the greates switches.i own 2. both are for 2 meter rigs,and work ok. the little ball bearing inside falls out the race sometimes,so i took it apart and greased it with dielectric grease.,and now it works ok,but it does bleed over into other postions. if i have it in the off position,you can still hear signals easily. for 10$ ok. spend extra and get a good switch