Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | S9 Antennas S9v Help

Reviews Summary for S9 Antennas S9v
S9 Antennas S9v Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Multiband Vertical.
More info: http://S9Antennas.com

You can write your own review of the S9 Antennas S9v.

AC7A Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2014 20:44 Send this review to a friend
A good, practical vertical antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Several years ago I purchased two of the 31' S9v antennas from the original product founder. I find that the antenna serves nicely as a convenient, portable antenna.

It is easy to handle and set up by one person due to its light weight. It can be lashed to most anything solid and you don't need to worry about guys. I often use mine as ground plane with three, 32-foot return wires about 6 to 7 feet above ground. I feed it with 300 Ohm twinlead, a 4:1 current balun and use the radio's internal tuner for 40 through 10 meters. Yes, that's probably not the most pristine implementation. But I have no problem matching the antenna with a tuner, or making lots of contacts with 5 Watts of power.

We do find here in AZ that the fiberglass breaks down in a couple of years and splinters due to the intense UV. That happened to my friend's S9v and is why I don't use one here as a permanent antenna. Also, I accidentally dropped one of mine while it was fully extended against the edge of the house. One of the fiberglass mast sections fractured. That sounds the death knell for that section. Fortunately, LDG was selling replacement sections at the time and I was able to repair the antenna.

I am pleased to find that Alpha Antenna is picking up the S9v product line. It is a nice, affordable, multi-band antenna solution (with an added tuner)that can be installed by an individual.

KC6NRE Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2014 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Self supporting 6-40 Meter dipole, how cool is that?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using two of the S9 Antennas v31 as a Resonant 6 through 40 meter dipole base and portable antenna for years. I put yellow electrical tape where each wire has to be wound back to for resonance on each band. Never had to worry having the wrong SWR after doing that! It is so very light that it makes a perfect portable antenna on my Steel Tripod. It's also easily supported by my Radio Shack roof mount tripod, where I use a 4:1 Balun with my tuner. What can I say, it's a free floating dipole, and a dipole is a great antenna!

K3WR Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Nice multiband vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This vertical utilizes multiple tapered telescoping fiberglass tubes to construct the 31 foot antenna. Easy assembly and installation. Very light weight, about 6 lbs.. I used a TV antenna tripod with a 1 1/4 diameter pipe to support the vertical on the ground as this is a part-time use station. I installed 30 radials about 26'9" in length and connected the antenna and ground radials to an Icom AH-4 antenna tuner at the base of the antenna. The radials were made from 17g. electric fence wire purchased from Tractor Supply supplied in a spool (1,320 foot spool). Plenty left over for more radials in the future.

The antenna loads in seconds on 80 through 6 meters with low SWR across all of the bands. The AH-4 tuner provides the tuning "magic" to this simple vertical, which works great.

My rig is an Icom 706 MkII G pushing 100 watts and in less than 10 hours of operation have worked DX to15 countries, some which had big pile ups (YL on Martinique) and about 10 states.

With few exceptions, using my modest 100 watt station, if I can hear 'em, I can work 'em!

This antenna is a good solution for amateurs looking for a multiband vertical at an affordable price point.

A nice feature of this antenna is the ability to quickly stow it in the event of high winds. I merely lift it from the pipe, disconnect the coax feed and lay it on the ground. Takes about 30 seconds to quickly remove this antenna from harm's way!

I am using this antenna at my part-time home in Florida, but have been so impressed that I plan to install the same antenna at my home QTH.

I will post some photos of the antenna, tuner and base mount on my QRZ.COM web page, which may be helpful.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Great also for stationary mobile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I mount mine on the rear of the wagon,a 1988 Country Squire so I have a lot of GP also.
While I was in the hospital the County removed the AF2Q tree so that ended my horizontal part of the wire.
No big deal but that was a zero no QRM spot and at a high point.
I used the older MFJ 160-10-S that tunes coax,radom wire and ladder wire.
The tuner is at the base and held down with a bungee cord on what used to be a part of the hitch.
Using the FT 857-D at only 50 watts because I don't want to kill the battery in the Queen Mary,I still get into Europe with no problem with Sri-Lanka being my best DX.
Almost seems like I have a beam.
Can't be beat and it lets me run the wire any way I want.
BOB LECH AF2Q

N8ZH Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using my S9V31 since the fall of 2012 and can now give a review based on experience.

My installation is ground mounted with 18 buried radials each 27 feet long and connected to the S9RP radial plate. I also opted for the LDG RU-4:1 Unun at the base and feed it with 50 feet of RG8X coax. An LDG AT-100ProII autotuner in the shack brings the SWR down to 1.5 or lower across all bands from 40M to 6M.

I chose this setup because my community has antenna restrictions and the S9V hides in plain sight. Mine is in a fairly open space between my house and a golf course and nobody notices it because it blends into the background so well. I also chose the S9V for the low price and multi-band capabilities. I wanted something simple. I didn't want to mess with guy wires, etc.

Does it work? DEFINITELY. In just over a year and running only 100 watts with a Ten-Tec Omni VII, I've made DXCC and WAS using only LoTW confirmed contacts. If I can hear them, I can work them. It's amazing how many pileups I've been able to break - even FT5ZM on Amsterdam Island (11,484 miles from my QTH). And it doesn't matter what mode or band. I'm active on 10M, 12M, 15M, 17M, 20M, 30M, and 40M using SSB and CW.

Weather has not been an issue either. To play it safe, I lower the antenna if wind gusts over 45 mph are predicted. It takes about a minute. Remove one wire nut, pick up the 2-1/2 pound antenna, and lay it down.

My only complaint with the S9V is that the antenna sections tend to collapse into each other. The supplied plastic clips don't prevent this. The remedy is to simply use a sheet metal screw at each junction. A quick, one-time fix.

73, Jon

N5GZH Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2014 18:39 Send this review to a friend
A great value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After using the S9v31 for almost 6 months, I can say it is a good value and a pretty slick piece of work. I'm using it ground mounted in a very partial radial field, fed at the base with an MFJ external auto tuner. It's electrically a straightforward 1/4 wave vertical on 40 meters that will multi-band with a little ingenuity. It does get out. At less than $100.00, it's a winner.

The weight--or lack of--is remarkable. A great feature for those of us who can't lift much. When bad weather threatens, I simply disconnect it, lift it easily and lay it next to the fence.

The plastic snap rings to lock sections are a bit finicky and should probably be augmented for long term use. One of my sections collapsed--a situation easily fixed with a drill motor and a sheet metal screw. I would advise pinning each section at least half way up for starters.

KA7NIQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 20:25 Send this review to a friend
It Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cheap Ham was blowing out the old style S9 31 ft "multi band" Verticals for 65.00 ea!
All these things are is a fiberglass tube 31 ft long, that acts as a support for a 31 ft 12 gage wire.
I have my coax center connector hooked to this wire, and the outside braid of the coax hooked to the top rail of my chain link fence with a compression clamp.
The fiberglass tube is mounted elevated on a chain link fence pole.

It has only been up for 3 days now, and already on 40 I have worked IW3IBK in Italy, EA3JE in Spain, and EA8DAO in the Canary Islands.
I do have a small Ameritron AL 80A hooked up right now.
SWR on 40 is under 2 to 1, and I am using only 25 feet of coax to get to the antenna.

I got 57 to 59 reports from the Italian and Spanish Station, and a 55 out of the Canary Islands.
These reports were comparable to what most other US Stations were getting, except the guy with the beams, or really high dipoles.
The 31 ft S9 Vertical works pretty good, on 40 meters, with only a chain link fence for a counterpoise.

The real surprises have been on both 20 and 17 meters!
The Tuner in my Yaesu FT 1000 D tunes it on both 20 and 17, and even w/o using my amplifier, I am getting outstanding signal reports on 20 meters, and very good reports on 17 as well.

I haven't tried it on 12 or 15 yet, but it sucks on 10, compared to an Antron 99.

I notice no extra "noise" from the chain link fence.

LOL, on 40 meters, it turn the computer off when I transmit.

I don't even have a ground rod on the antenna, or a balun either.

I do have both, just being lazy ......

KL2TC Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 00:51 Send this review to a friend
After 3 years, still great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna works better every time I use it. I have a nice Yagi at the top of a fifty foot tower, and it hears better. I use the S9V to figure out which way to turn the Yagi. No matter what the band up to and beyond 40 meters for listening, this antenna is my go-to-guy. This is the best money I ever spent, except for maybe all that copper wire for 75.

Highly recommended.

KB5YN Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2013 10:40 Send this review to a friend
OK, but a compromise antenna.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The S9 vertical is a good antenna to get you on the air or for restricted areas. It is light and easy to put up as a ground mounted or elevated vertical. As a multiband antenna you must use a 4:1 at the antenna and a tuner in the shack. You have to realize that it is a compromise antenna and will work with losses because it is not a 1/4 antenna except it is close on 40m. Use good quality low loss coax to minimize your losses due to high SWR at the antenna.

K2OWK Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Followup review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I still give this antenna 5, but there is one minor problem I ran into. During a strong wind sometimes some of the sections will collapse. The plastic straps that hold the sections from collapsing need to be super tight. If they are not the sections will collapse. The antenna is light and is easy to remove for repair. I have tightened all the straps so they do not move and are as tight as I can get them. This has worked so far and the antenna has stayed up. It is still a fantastic antenna vertical, and works all bands for me. If I have this problem again, I will pin the sections with sheet metal screws, as I noticed the holes are predrilled in the fiberglass, as if it was done in the past this way.