Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | S9 Antennas S9v Help

Reviews Summary for S9 Antennas S9v
S9 Antennas S9v Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 31-Foot Multiband Vertical for 40 - 10 meters. Requires an antenna tuner and 1:1 balun or 4:1 unun.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the S9 Antennas S9v.

KB7WHC Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2012 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a well made antenna, easy to deploy, and works well. Unfortunately, a gust of wind during a recent thunderstorm snapped one of the bottom sections. On a Saturday afternoon, I inquired via the LDG website as to the cost of a replacement section. Within two hours I had a reply with a link on which to order the section. The next day, on a Sunday, I received an email from LDG asking for my address and stating that they had made a mistake and that the damage was covered under the warranty. They shipped out a new section at no cost. There aren't too many companies that stand behind their product like that and send replies over a weekend. I would not hesitate to purchase another S9 antenna or any product from LDG. Their customer service is outstanding!!

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Going to have to get one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven;t ordered mine yet but I took my QRP rig to my friends home and he has ground rods driven in around the base.
I hooked up my HB1A and I heard stations that I was not able to heat on a sloped 65 foot wire.
CW was just pouring in.
But my friend did a super installing job and that counts a lot
BOB
AF2Q

KA2Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was skeptical about all the 5 ratings on this antenna. Im now pleasantly surprised.
I wanted to set this up for 40 meter monoband.
While waiting for the antenna to arrive I put in the mount, set up the S9 radial plate with around 20 radials. I also made the 1:1 "Ugly balun" from the link at the LDG page. I had that hooked up and coax run. When the antenna arrived the instructions were clear and simple. It went up with no problems. The swr is flat across the whole band-- no tuner needed. I was afraid it might be too noisy in my urban environment, but its no noisier than my G5RV. It works great and I love the low profile green paint on it. I like to keep a low profile here.
This product is a strong 5 rating because its easy to put up, it works great, and the price is very friendly. I can find no negatives with this product. Highly recommended!

N9APD Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2011 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Easy to install solid performet  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a follow up review. I installed the S9-31' vertical a few months ago. It was out of frustration that decided to try this antenna. My various attempts at dipoles in my small city lot were not very good. I have no trees or other supports to get above the average tree canopy or roof lines of nearby homes. My antennas always ended up with an NVIS pattern - not what I was looking for. Out of frustration I purchased the S9, hoping that the 31' straight up would put some signal at the horizon. The install took about 2 hours including running the coax. I mounted along the center of a 100' long chain link fence, with the ground radial connected to both the antenna and the fence. I mounted the bottom of the antenna into a metal military camo support pole - a perfect fit it turns out, just like it was made for it. A couple of heavy duty hose clamps secure the metal camo pole to a support pole on the fence. It is a clean install that is hard to see from the street (nice). I run a Yaesu FT-817ND (5 Watts) into a small MFJ Tuner, and mostly run PSK-31. Before the S9 my dipoles seemed to favor North South (no matter how I oriented them). Now the coverage is truly Omni directional, allowing my first Japan contact. Lots more contacts into Europe & Russia than before, and still have the same great signal into South America. Probably the best testimony I have is that this summer my area (Northern Illinois) was twice his with 90+ MPH straight line winds that tore up my roof and downed trees all over the area. My S9 stood tall and undamaged. Perhaps the only thing that would have changed that was flying debris, but I was lucky and none hit it. I plan to buy a second S9 for my field day set-up.

WA5DA Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Works amazingly well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On 7/29/2011 I got the antenna up in the air and 20 radials in the back yard, got on the air, and on the first night I worked Russia, Czech Republic, Spain, Quebec, and Italy! What a nice surprise for my introduction into HF. I'm using LDG's 4:1 Unun, and outputting 100 watts from my FT-857D.

As of 10/1/2011, I have worked 53 DX entities, and 47 states. I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibilities of getting DXCC and WAS by year's end (only thing that may hold me up with QSL delivery times). The antenna may be built for 40M, but I've worked the majority of my contacts on higher frequencies. It works very well on 30M, 20M, 17M, 15M, and 10M. I've made two contacts on 6M during Sporadic-E openings, so even though this isn't a good choice of 6M it does work. I can even get it to tune up on 80M in narrow band segments but have only worked the digital modes on that band. The thing won't tune up 160M (no surprise there).

I think it goes without saying that a good ground radial system is important for vertical antennas. I spent more money on the radials and radial plate than the antenna itself. I plan on putting more radials down in the ground later for improved performance. I mowed the lawn with the mower at its lowest setting, and bought a couple of bags of "landscaping staples" from Lowe's to push the 14# wires tight into the ground. My yard slopes and is curved so I needed a lot of staples. I tried the biodegradable staples from DX Engineering, but they didn't work too well for me, almost half of them snapped due to the compacted soil in most of my yard.

Anyhow, I'm really happy with the setup and wanted to give an example of how well it works for chasing DX.

73!

KE2GN Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2011 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Lives to specs, great value, good perfoprmer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live on a city lot. The neighborhood is full of trees but none on my lot. For the last couple of years, I have uses short wire antennas coming from the roof to the branches of neighboring trees with limited results. I never felt I had the space for radials since most of the bigger verticals want 60+ foot lengths. Then I discoverd the S9V 31. It takes care of all these problems.

I give it top marks for the following reasons. First, it does everything it claims to do. Second, it is priced very well. Third, it works.

I have about 16 radials, a few of which are very short since the S9V is located near the corner of the lot. Where I can run 30 foot radials, I will be running as many as I can. Once I received the UNUN, it tuned well on all bands. It has great performance and I feel like I have been given back the entire world again. (I used to have ten acres for antennas).

The first weekend I had it up, we were visited by Hurricane Irene. It took only ten seconds to lift the pole off the pipe and lay ot on the ground. No worries at all.

It is virtually invisible against a background of green shrubbery and the two neighbor's trees. I recoommend it wholeheartedly.

W5CYF Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2011 11:09 Send this review to a friend
So good I bought a second one  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially installed my first 31’ S9 as a replacement for a HyGain 18HV because I wanted an antenna I could use across bands without going outside and changing coil positions.

I put down about 30 radials of various wire sizes ranging from 22 gauge phone hook-up wire to 14 gauge electrical wire. I used whatever I had on hand and cut them to whatever length would fit the space. Nothing scientific about my layout at all and it works well.

I’ve used a 4:1 Balun, 4:1 Unun and coax choke and all seemed to work equally well.

Unfortunately my first S9 took a *direct* lightning hit and virtually exploded taking out several of my rigs at the same time. (Results can be seen on my YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suaMa1h8u2Q )

After the dust settled, the first thing I reordered was another S9 31 and installed it exactly the same as the first one. 15 minutes after the package arrived I was on the air!

The only thing different…now is I lower the S9 even if just a ‘bad cloud’ blows over!

John/W5CYF

N9APD Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2011 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Good problem solver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a typical city lot, small and any trees, power lines, etc are all in the wrong places. The S9v31 is a great way to get 31 feet of vertical wire in the air when trees and structures won't cooperate. This replaces a 40M Windom, and a home made dipole before that. Both previous fine antennas, but not performing due to less than ideal installation conditions. By lashing my S9 to a chain link fence that goes around my property I got an easy to install vertical up in the air. Easy for me to install by myself! It's up, and I think the fence is helping me out with some of the ground radials though I added some where I could. The S9 is performing very well. Yes, if I had a tree or something I could use I could have down this with just wire and an UNUN, but I did not so the fiberglass got it into the air and overcame my challenges.

N8ZEE Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2011 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have both an 43' and 31'and think they are the greatest. The 43' is used at home, and the 31' is used now with my RV when traveling.
I never had any contact with the previous owner John, but he could not be any better than LDG.
Have 5 of thier tuners and find them Fantistic.
I do not feel you can go wrong with this S9 Antenna, after my experence with them.
Will answer any questions that I can about this product.
Will have more testing in a few more months.

Bill
N8ZEE

N2LRB Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2011 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had both the 18 foot and 31 foot versions of this antenna and have been using them since January 2011. I can not recommend them enough. I live in New York City and am lucky enough to have a landlord who allows me to put one antenna on the roof.

I have made contact all over the place, the continental U.S., Europe and Western Africa with the 31 footer. I am only using 10 radials as it is not my roof and I am lucky to have what I have as it is. I use the 18 footer for portable operations in Central Park. The antenna comes with a4:1 Unun, use it if you are going to work more than one band. I also recommend using an external antenna tuner. I don't need it for either antenna above 20 meters, but do need it for 20 and 40 meter operation. You can not go wrong purchasing this antenna.