Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radiowavz SATURN Series Fan Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for Radiowavz SATURN Series Fan Dipole
Radiowavz SATURN Series Fan Dipole Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$350.00 - $150.00
Description: Description: The SATURN Series antennas are designed as lightweight multi-element inverted V or flat top dipole antenna that can be transported easily in the trunk of a small car. The elements are full dipoles with an optional 1:1 BALUN
More info: http://www.radiowavz.com/html/saturn.htm

You can write your own review of the Radiowavz SATURN Series Fan Dipole.

VE3BW Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2014 03:37 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Put up the Radiowavz 160-80-40 dipole in Oct 2013. Thought it was going to be a chore to unravel but surprisingly after following the instructions it was a breeze. It survived a very bad ice storm in Jan 2014. My other wire antennas were not so lucky. Bandwidth is acceptable and the antenna allows flexibility.

AB5IE Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2013 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In my 22 years in the Amateur Radio Service, the Radiowavz Saturn antenna is my very first, factory made, HF antenna purchase. I've constructed many wire antennas, including mono-band dipoles, fanned dipoles, delta loops, wire beams, lazy-H, curtains, end fed zepps, etc. Ö itís my belief that beginning Hams should do the same. But there comes a time when some of us lose interest in repeating antenna projects and are willing to outsource construction.
I operate mostly portable nowadays and wanted to pack an efficient, multi-band antenna, with little fuss and possibly without the use of a transmatch. I donít operate QRP normally, and I like having the extra power that is available with a full-size radio. My radio of choice, for various reasons, is the Alinco DX-SR8. It is inexpensive, well-constructed, sounds good on SSB (with an external speaker and better microphone) and has rugged finals. If it had tighter filters in the IF for CW, the radio would leave little for the Ham on a tight budget to desire. My power source is a lead-acid lawnmower battery, or when near an AC outlet, a regulated supply. I canít trickle charge the battery as I operate because the circuits in the charger radiate S9+20dB on most bands.
I sent an email on a Sunday night to Radiowavz, inquiring of a special Saturn antenna cut for 40, 30, 20 and 17 meters. At about 1000 the following morning, I received a phone call from Rochelle at Radiowavz, placed my order and paid via PayPal. The antenna was supposed to ship in one week. To my surprise, I actually received the antenna the following Monday, which meant the antenna was constructed and shipped before Friday!
Opening the 12-inch square shipping box, I looked at the tangle of wires, insulators, separators and balun. My immediate response was ďOMG! What a mess! Iíll never get this thing untangled! Set up in 15 minutes? RIGHT!Ē My reaction turned out to be wrong. Despite the apparent birdís nest of wires in the box, the Saturn antenna neatly unfurled and set up with very little fuss.
The quality is good, the design is clever, durable, lightweight and has little tendency to twist in the wind. The plastic rings used to separate each dipole section are stronger and more compact than normal straight spreaders used in other designs. The antenna is intentionally cut slightly ďlongĒ so some pruning is required. The Saturn performs as real resonant dipoles should, and if tuned to your favorite portion of each bands, should allow you to bypass your transmatch, or at worst case the very slight mismatch at band edges can easily be handled by the internal tuners in most radios. A bonus feature is the 40 meter section resonance on 15 meters, giving coverage of 5 bands. In addition, the Saturn antenna is fairly stealthy, and is barely visible against a backdrop of vegetation. When the antenna is actually seen, it looks COOL!
As a portable test, I erected my 16 foot painterís pole in my yard with the Saturn, configured as an inverted-V, atop. The guy ropes were attached at the 7.5 foot point. The antenna ends were about 6 feet above ground. After tuning the antenna, I made a few contacts and then left it all in place overnight during a moderately severe Arkansas summer storm. I watched it carefully as the gusty wind had its way. The wind load seemed very manageable with this configuration and the electrical load presented to my radio didn't change appreciably.

At $159.00, the Radiowavz Saturn antenna is not really cheap, but is a good value and IMHO, worth more than itís selling price. You could replicate a similar product at home, but the special parts, tools and time required is not cost-effective. Just give the folks at Radiowavz a call and enjoy!

K7LA Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 00:37 Send this review to a friend
Field Day Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was invited to operate Field Day with a group in Southern California. The station was solar powered into a deep cycle battery to a Ten Tec Eagle 599 transceiver 100 watt output into the Radiowavz Saturn antenna. The antenna was strung as a flat top on a hilltop 1,000 feet elevation near the Pacific Ocean and had a clear exposure to the horizon.

On 20 meters I was getting picked up on the first call all day and received numerous unsolicited great signal reports. My relief operator had similar experiences on 15M. The antenna played very well under field conditions and is worthy of your consideration.

N3UJJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2009 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Radiowavz SATURN 5-80  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In reality this is a parallel dipole, and they use a construction technique similar to a cage. They were a pleasure to deal with and worked with me on some shipping issues. My experience with the company was very positive. The antenna did take some time to tune (but this is to be expected with any parallel dipole), and owning an antenna analyzer made the job much easier. The antenna was well built, and performs as advertised. Bandwidth seems to be a little wider than that of a single wire dipole (most likely due to cage design). eMail support was a little slow, but phone support was EXCELLENT.