Reviews Categories | Ham Repeaters | GE/Ericsson MASTR II Help

Reviews Summary for GE/Ericsson MASTR II
GE/Ericsson MASTR II Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: VHF lo, hi, UHF, and 800MHz repeater, base and receivers. station.

You can write your own review of the GE/Ericsson MASTR II.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2017 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Built before palnned obsolescence   Time owned: more than 12 months
We have one MASTR II in service as of now, with two more in storage waiting to be converted to amateur use. Our current unit has a build date of 1981 and was in public safety use before we picked it up. It's survived a direct lightning hit, (that blew the duplexer clear across the room I might add), countless long winded QSO's and it still keeps on ticking. The PA is the continuous duty version and rarely gets warm to the touch.

These machines were built to last and I often say if GE knew how long they would last, they'd never have built them this good. Easy to work with & parts are everywhere. Anyone getting rid of a MASTR II for a modern unit will be sorry in the long run. Contact me and I'll take that clunky old GE off your hands.

AD4U Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2009 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Best IMO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 GE Mastr II repeaters. One on 53 MHz, one on 146 MHz, and one on 444 MHz. Each is the 100 watt version. They have been on the air non-stop since 1989. The only problem I had with any of them in 20 years is the PA failed on the 146 MHz machine in 1997 probably due to a lot of use. When I repaired it, I installed two fans on it and it has been running ever since. Many times the more modern repeaters sharing the sites with me are knocked off the air by lightning, but the GE Mastr II's just keep right on ticking.

K6ZRX Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2009 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Best band for you ham repeater buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are old stations these days, but are very good. The MASTR II stations I had in commercial service had fewer problems than our Micors. Lots of variations and special configuration stations out there. All stations will go onto the ham band near the commercial band they were designed for with little or no modification, normally no mods. Some guys make the VHF work on 220, and the 800 on 902/927. Power ranges from 20 to 330 watts. Yes, they made 1/3kW Mastr II stations. I have one on a 6 meter repeater with voting and it is great. These stations have been around long enough the problem areas are known and problems easily avoided such as whiskers in the VHF front end (no trips to the mountain to kick the radio and bring the RX back). Readily available, cheap, easy to work on, easy to add external controllers to. Keep spare boards and modules for quick repairs. Easy all the way around. Get a MASTR II, and spend your money on a proper antenna (low gain is good sometimes), good duplexer, and an isolator (be a good neighbor). Whatever you do, be sure you get the manual for the station you have, and for any options or cards you want to add. There are a lot of jumpers to be sure are setup right to make the stations happy.