Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | MA/Com Orion Help

Reviews Summary for MA/Com Orion
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: VHF lo, hi, UHF, 800, 900 mobile radio. Single or dual band

You can write your own review of the MA/Com Orion.

WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2016 20:50 Send this review to a friend
excellent, models in 10, 6, 2, 220 and 440 bands.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have various Ge and MaCom branded orions for 10M, 6M, 2M, 220 MHz and 440 MHz and these are simply excellent radios.

I performed and documented the first 220 mod to these radios and it is simply one of the best 220 radios I ever used.

It comes in head to head comparison with my 220 MHz GE RANGR with it's hamflashed S990 control head but I still prefer the Orion 220 MHz model.

Similarly I have 10 meter, 6 meter 2 meter and 440 MHz orions and the sister GE RANGR models in the same band splits but all RANGR's have hamflashed S990 heads but I still prefer my nice compact reliable Orions.

After 9 years of almost daily use with my orion radio stacks I have never had an issue with anyone of these great radios.

K6ZRX Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2009 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Commercial radio, dual band option  Time owned: more than 12 months
The VHF and UHF radios are readily moved into the ham band. 6 meters takes some work on the low pass filter. These radios can be configured as dual band, just choose the two radio decks you want and get the cable. Much better radio than the Kenwood dual band commercial radios. Single band base station configuration also available. We are still working on the getting the radios onto 900MHz ham. There are many bandsplits, so research before you buy to be sure you get what you want. Still a fairly current model, so parts and accessories are available.