Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor
Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: Model 715 RF Speech Processor is a high performance true RF-type speech processor designed to operate with most modern HF Amateur Radio transceivers. RF speech processing is a superior system to the traditional AF clipping, AF compression, or RF compression found in a typical HF transceiver for achieving the highest ratio of average-to-peak power from an SSB transmitter.
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/accessories/715

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor.

AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2014 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best speech processor on the market. Not only will it boost my signal, everyone says my clarity of my voice improves as well. And you can't beat the price. I was shocked to see how well it preformed. I highly recommend this item, and I use it on the omni 7. FIVE STARS!

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2012 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Stuff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hooked it up to my TS-50S and the standard dynamic mic, and after adjusting the clipping level etc it really delivered the goods.
The supplied power unit is of no use here in the UK with 240 volt mains, so I hooked it up to the PSU, here you need to leave the ground lead disconnected otherwise you will create a ground loop with howl around feedback. Things become more complicated when using rigs with built in mic EQ capability, and here it's possible to produce some terrible sounding audio. All the EQ settings and Speech Processor need to be disabled or bypassed, then the TenTec 715 will come into it's own. As has been said in previous posts, certain mics do not work at all well with the 715. I would suggest using the rigs own dynamic mic as I find they work best. IMHO using a studio mic is pointless given that it's feeding an RF Clipper and most certainly studio audio quality will not be produced as this is DX/Contest equipment designed to improve readability under adverse conditions, and this it does with great effect with a simple dynamic fist mic. I would recommend the 715 for DX/Contest use.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Helpful  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Ten-Tec 715 speech processor can be a helpful tool in giving your speech a bit more punch. It is not a cure for a very weak signal or an inefficient antenna, but it gives your voice signal substantially more punch. You can easily overdo it. One must use it carefully and and sparingly, or it will spoil the signal and cause significant distortion, but it is effective at giving your signal more power.

// James - K8JHR //

WB6ZRP Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2011 06:33 Send this review to a friend
It's microphone dependent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is definitly microphone dependent. It will not work on broad mics like a Heil Pro as stated elseware here. It does what it says on a stock hand mic. or a Heil Dx type. A Watt meter or a scope tells the story. It gives about a 6 Db increase in your average power output. If you want to punch through a pile up or noise with a narrow mic it will do the job. Not to be used in a rag chew session. Poor audio.

KI4PMW Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2010 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Great peice of equipment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got won this little toy at the Huntsville Hamfest in 09 and the guys in the TenTech booth was VERY helpful!!! I brought it home that night hooked it up thru the Rig Blaster Plus using an ICOM stock mike and no joy AT ALL!!!. Reading the reviews I read the with ICOM mikes DONT BOTHER!!!! The TenTech person at the hamfest said the same thing. I hooked up a stock mike from a Kenwood TS-430S and wala it work fine. Once you get the passband and proc gain down and the tentech guy made it clear to only have the meter get to 6 and not all the way up it worked great on my IC-718 and with a rig blaster the any mic to any radio is the best!!!. I just was given a IC746 and pluged the tentech to it and wala perfect audio,

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 12:21 Send this review to a friend
The Best DX Chaser !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used this gem since Nov w/o issues on my
IC-7700 & ALPHA 87A .

The reason I'm writing now is to relay a comment by
JY4C indicating how easily I cut through the pile
up !! He was very interested in my equipment !!

One caviot it DOES NOT WORK WELL WITH BROAD MICS (
Heil Goldline on wide ect .) !!

Tnx Ray KCIMR

K0EX Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2010 07:19 Send this review to a friend
follow-up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i've also had the "freeze-up" problem with my audio. it was resolved by simply turning the "PASS BAND" adjustment. contacting TenTec with this concern, i was told it was a software problem that's being worked-on. second, i initially used the 715 with my Kenwood TS-570DG (as reported in my 1st review). when i changed cables and tried it with my Yaesu FT-950, audio was horrible. this was user error, as i assumed that the adjustments on the 715 suitable for the TS-570DG would be a good starting point for the FT-950... wrong! the Yaesu requires so little drive that the "PROC LEVEL" (on the back of the 715) has to be dialed waaaaaay down. in fact, b-a-r-e-l-y setting it above minimum is plenty! in this range of the potentiometer, however, adjustment is pretty touchy. that was disappointing.

so, in summary, it has worked well with my TS-570DG. it's "OK" with my FT-950. i'm yet to try it with my IC-7200.

i'd have 2nd thoughts about buying it, had i known what i now know.

K5ML Rating: 2/5 May 4, 2010 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Compatibility Problems with Icom  Time owned: months
Hearing great things about the Ten-Tec 715, I ordered one with the hope that it might improve the average output on my Icom 756 Pro III. Unfortunately, it didnít work out. Using the Icom SM-20 desk microphone, the Ten-Tec Processor wasnít as clean as the internal processor in the Pro III and did not boost the average power output as much as the internal processor. To make bad matters worse, the Ten-Tec processor would freeze up intermittently, resulting in no audio whatsoever. Thinking it might be RF getting into the processor, I turned the RF output on the Pro III all the way down. The processor still froze.

I called Ten-Tec's Service Department and spoke with Larry Worth who was extremely helpful. He gave me several things to try in order to solve the problem. When those ideas didnít work, he sent me a second processor to see if that would solve the problem. The second processor froze immediately and I couldnít even get it on the air. I returned both processors.

This was my first purchase of Ten-Tec equipment. Although this particular piece of equipment didnít work in my particular situation, I was very favorably impressed with their level of service, patience, helpfulness and willingness to go the extra mile to take care of the customer. They are an excellent company.

W7CPA Rating: 2/5 Jan 28, 2010 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Beware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't be fooled by the BANDWIDTH control. I hoped that for once, I could select DX plus strong, good audio. It does not allow enough lows to be dialed in - screaming DX'r sound, all the time, very little useful bandwidth control capability. No reason to even have the knob.

I returned it. It sounds worse that my DX engineering RF processor on my KWM-2A. Mind you, it is a traditional RF processor that does brings up your average talk power as claimed.

K1OYQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2009 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Cheap Power!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa brought one of these to the shack this year. Got it up and running in no time and tested it out with several other stations. This little box works as advertised. On one test I lowered the power out to the minimum possible and the other station could not hear me with the 715 out of the circuit. When I turned it back on he was reading me at S5 on the meter. Tested it on a couple of DX stations and they came right back to me with good signal reports. You sacrifice a little audio fidelity (you should expect this) but all stations reported that it was very easy to listen to and not to sharp or raspy. I'm very pleased and it makes my FT-1000MP MK V really rock on SSB Great piece of gear and I highly recommend it. I may not every have to use my amp again hi hi. The only down side is that you need a Ten-Tec or Yaesu mic for it or you have to rewire a mic per the manual. On the plus side I can use my MD-100 mic on my Kenwood TS-2000 and FT-817 now (purchased extra cables).