Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor
Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: Model 715 RF Speech Processor is a high performance true RF-type speech processor designed to operate with most modern HF Amateur Radio transceivers. RF speech processing is a superior system to the traditional AF clipping, AF compression, or RF compression found in a typical HF transceiver for achieving the highest ratio of average-to-peak power from an SSB transmitter.

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor.

NO9E Rating: 3/5 Mar 6, 2018 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Greatly improves KX3 but design failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used it with KX3 and Heil HC5 microphone. After A/B with the built-in processor, the reports stated that that with TT715 the signal was so much louder and nicer. Unfortunately, two TT715 that I have cut out output after 5-30 min. Have been troubleshooting and asked for assistance, without a success.
N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2018 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Addition!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to set up, works great, much improved signal reports. Don't overdrive it and you will love it.
AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2014 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best speech processor on the market. Not only will it boost my signal, everyone says my clarity of my voice improves as well. And you can't beat the price. I was shocked to see how well it preformed. I highly recommend this item, and I use it on the omni 7. FIVE STARS!
N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2013 19:18 Send this review to a friend
my mini "amplifier"  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the 715 for about 3 years. Used it previously with my Omni7. Recently added it to my TenTec Eagle set up and get consistent reports between on/off of about 2 S units difference in signal boost. Use it with an Icom SM-30 microphone - bought the TenTec/Icom eight pin adapter. Took time to set it up with a number of QSO's to help adjust. A rather cheap way to add some punch to ones signal. Of course the little TenTec Eagle is no slouch either !
K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2013 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Works Well   Time owned: more than 12 months
This works well - provided you use it correctly and do not expect more than it can deliver. This is one of those little gems that can add a lot of punch to your sideband transmit audio - but a little goes a long way and if you overdo it, you will ruin your signal, causing distortion and diminish speech intelligibility. It is an RF-based speech processor, which is more effective and it can add significant additional punch to your transmit audio, but, again, used in excess, will cause distortion and splatter.

I not accept the claim it is like adding a 500 watt amp to your shack, but it does give you substantially greater punch in a pile up and can mean the difference between being heard or not when you are a weak signal to another operator. And this is sometimes just all you need to rise above the noise and make the contact. It has made the difference between success and failure to me on multiple occasions.

This is not something you need to run all the time. It is sorta like using a DSP filter - you only need it when you need it, and you would not run one during a routine contact when you have a good clear signal. As with DSP filters, there is a bit of a distortion trade-off by which I mean you can give your signal more punch, but it comes at the expense of added distortion. I use DSP audio filters on my receive audio - both on the rig and via outboard audio filter units - and they introduce some digital artifact and distortion if set to high - but sometimes this is an acceptable trade off if it means I can make out what the other op is saying. Similarly, there is a bit of audio distortion from this RF speech processor - when used at a reasonable level, the added punch offsets the added distortion, but if you set it too high, it will have a deleterious effect on the entire output, making it worse than not having it at all.

Am I clear on all this? YES, this is a helpful tool, and has made a difference in my ability to make many contacts. But be sure to have someone who is honest and who has a good ear help you set it up on the air, so you get the most bang, but the least noise and distortion out of it. It is well worth the price when used correctly.

That is just MY take... your mileage may differ...

Happy trails. // K8JHR //
GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2012 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Good Stuff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hooked it up to my TS-50S and the standard dynamic mic, and after adjusting the clipping level etc it really delivered the goods.
The supplied power unit is of no use here in the UK with 240 volt mains, so I hooked it up to the PSU, here you need to leave the ground lead disconnected otherwise you will create a ground loop with howl around feedback. Things become more complicated when using rigs with built in mic EQ capability, and here it's possible to produce some terrible sounding audio. All the EQ settings and Speech Processor need to be disabled or bypassed, then the TenTec 715 will come into it's own. As has been said in previous posts, certain mics do not work at all well with the 715. I would suggest using the rigs own dynamic mic as I find they work best. IMHO using a studio mic is pointless given that it's feeding an RF Clipper and most certainly studio audio quality will not be produced as this is DX/Contest equipment designed to improve readability under adverse conditions, and this it does with great effect with a simple dynamic fist mic. I would recommend the 715 for DX/Contest use.
WB6ZRP Rating: 3/5 Mar 31, 2011 06:33 Send this review to a friend
It's microphone dependent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is definitly microphone dependent. It will not work on broad mics like a Heil Pro as stated elseware here. It does what it says on a stock hand mic. or a Heil Dx type. A Watt meter or a scope tells the story. It gives about a 6 Db increase in your average power output. If you want to punch through a pile up or noise with a narrow mic it will do the job. Not to be used in a rag chew session. Poor audio.
KI4PMW Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2010 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Great peice of equipment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got won this little toy at the Huntsville Hamfest in 09 and the guys in the TenTech booth was VERY helpful!!! I brought it home that night hooked it up thru the Rig Blaster Plus using an ICOM stock mike and no joy AT ALL!!!. Reading the reviews I read the with ICOM mikes DONT BOTHER!!!! The TenTech person at the hamfest said the same thing. I hooked up a stock mike from a Kenwood TS-430S and wala it work fine. Once you get the passband and proc gain down and the tentech guy made it clear to only have the meter get to 6 and not all the way up it worked great on my IC-718 and with a rig blaster the any mic to any radio is the best!!!. I just was given a IC746 and pluged the tentech to it and wala perfect audio,
KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 12:21 Send this review to a friend
The Best DX Chaser !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used this gem since Nov w/o issues on my
IC-7700 & ALPHA 87A .

The reason I'm writing now is to relay a comment by
JY4C indicating how easily I cut through the pile
up !! He was very interested in my equipment !!

Heil Goldline on wide ect .) !!

K0EX Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2010 07:19 Send this review to a friend
follow-up  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i've also had the "freeze-up" problem with my audio. it was resolved by simply turning the "PASS BAND" adjustment. contacting TenTec with this concern, i was told it was a software problem that's being worked-on. second, i initially used the 715 with my Kenwood TS-570DG (as reported in my 1st review). when i changed cables and tried it with my Yaesu FT-950, audio was horrible. this was user error, as i assumed that the adjustments on the 715 suitable for the TS-570DG would be a good starting point for the FT-950... wrong! the Yaesu requires so little drive that the "PROC LEVEL" (on the back of the 715) has to be dialed waaaaaay down. in fact, b-a-r-e-l-y setting it above minimum is plenty! in this range of the potentiometer, however, adjustment is pretty touchy. that was disappointing.

so, in summary, it has worked well with my TS-570DG. it's "OK" with my FT-950. i'm yet to try it with my IC-7200.

i'd have 2nd thoughts about buying it, had i known what i now know.