Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor
Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: Model 715 RF Speech Processor is a high performance true RF-type speech processor designed to operate with most modern HF Amateur Radio transceivers. RF speech processing is a superior system to the traditional AF clipping, AF compression, or RF compression found in a typical HF transceiver for achieving the highest ratio of average-to-peak power from an SSB transmitter.
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/accessories/715

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 715 RF Speech Processor.

K1OYQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2009 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Cheap Power!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa brought one of these to the shack this year. Got it up and running in no time and tested it out with several other stations. This little box works as advertised. On one test I lowered the power out to the minimum possible and the other station could not hear me with the 715 out of the circuit. When I turned it back on he was reading me at S5 on the meter. Tested it on a couple of DX stations and they came right back to me with good signal reports. You sacrifice a little audio fidelity (you should expect this) but all stations reported that it was very easy to listen to and not to sharp or raspy. I'm very pleased and it makes my FT-1000MP MK V really rock on SSB Great piece of gear and I highly recommend it. I may not every have to use my amp again hi hi. The only down side is that you need a Ten-Tec or Yaesu mic for it or you have to rewire a mic per the manual. On the plus side I can use my MD-100 mic on my Kenwood TS-2000 and FT-817 now (purchased extra cables).

WA6IPD Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is quite an extraordinary device, it does everything stated, I recommend it highly.

My only negative comment is their reference to a 110 volt power source in their literature. I contacted the sales department to inquire if they did indeed provide a wall-wart rated at 110 volts but they did not reply. The problem is this, we have not used 110 volts in this country since the 1940s, the standard voltage is 120 volts with some utilities serving 125 volts. So obviously a 110 volt wall-wart running on 120-125 volts would be needlessly stressed. The good news is that the unit provided is rated at 120 volts. I find it surprising that electronic engineers lack even the basics of electrical engineering. The ARRL was in this position until the early 1990s when I told them that in QST and the Handbook they were referencing a voltage not in use along with obsolete receptacles and plugs. That letter was like nuking Newington, they were stunned to say the least.

KG4OHE Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2009 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Much Happier Now  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After talking to several others and working thru the adjustments on the air, I think I've hit the "magic" combination that lets the 715 work with my station set up. I'm anxious to give this little box a shot in it's intended conditions to see if it improves my signal in pileups and where the signal strength is low but the audio boost provided raises me up out of the "grass". It looks promising!

W0IW Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2009 13:54 Send this review to a friend
TEN TEC means made in America !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This Ten Tec Unit Looks, and works Great. I have two of these units, and as advertised they increase ones talk power, and what I call use radio war paint to make sure folks know your on the frequency..From These little black boxes comes some mighty big audio, and I can tell you that stations will not ignore you! Set this unit at about pass band.. at 1pm and Proc gain 7pm and it works great!!

K1KLA Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 19:26 Send this review to a friend
A++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Highly recommended
Had it running in less than ten minutes
All good audio reports Another job well done by Ten Tec

W4PGM Rating: 2/5 Oct 1, 2009 17:43 Send this review to a friend
RF issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lots of issue getting the box to work with my FT-950. I have a second floor shack so RF is sometimes an issue. The cable that leads from the processor to the radio is VERY susceptible to RF. The processor works great when it is on, but in pass through the audio is almost unintelligible. (unplugging the mic from the processor and plugging it directly into the radio returns perfect audio) I have completed a few shielding tests on the cable and have determined that the cable to the radio is inadequate for my operations. I will make a new shielded cable and see if that solves the problems. Larry Worth at Ten-Tec has been a life saver in tracking down the issues. Scott in the shop has not! If you are having issues Ask for Larry!

KD8DHH Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of equipment!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the 715 and all I can say is WOW!..... This thing really works. Another fine creation from Ten-Tec. It does everything they said it would. I am very pleased! I have been getting great audio reports. The DX stations hear me on the first call. Keep up the good work Ten-Tec!

K4TAX Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2009 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Good results, works as expected and advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having had the unit for a couple of weeks now, using it on several bands from "rag chew" QSO's to busting DX pileups, it does a very good and effective job. The external station watt meter clearly confirms that it raises the average SSB power and on-air reports state that it gives "punch" to the audio. With the easy to read and understand manual, it is easy to adjust and get operational in just a few minutes using the Tentec supplied cables. Once done, the operator can switch the processor IN and OUT without need to make any adjustments on the radio. IN/OUT switching is done by relay. No issues with RFI have been observed while operating with near legal limit power on any HF band. It is a nice addition to any station and well worth the money. Cosmetically it is typical of the high quality cabinet and silkscreen finish of Tentec equipment.

N3LCW Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2009 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Works great, better than anticipated.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
TenTec has done an excellent job with this processor. Using this with my Yaesu FT-847 it did indeed boost average power at least 6db. On air reports have been nothing but positive. It has made all the difference in being able to cut through high background noise levels. Very easy to adjust using rigs' built in monitor and then final adjustments made with on-air reports. Reports have favored the TT-715 over the built in processor. Being able to adjust audio bandwidth really helps tailor to the individual's voice characteristics. Very highly recommended.

N6QPU Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Poor mans amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The 715 gets me through when I can't make it with my 100 watts. Making contacts with the 715 a 708 mike on my Omni VI make a huge difference. I recommend this unit to anyone who wants more power with out using an amplifier. Best $250 I have spent in ham radio. Great job Ten-Tec.