Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Heathkit HD-1410, circa 1975 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HD-1410, circa 1975
Heathkit HD-1410, circa 1975 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Iambic Paddle Keyer
More info: http://www.theheathkitshop.com/theheathkithd-14.html

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HD-1410, circa 1975.

W6QE Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2006 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Old, but reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Originally, I bought and built one in the late 70's. Just bought another at a locaL swapmeet, built a power cord and it works. Not state of the art compared to my Kent, but some nostalgia and a fun thing to just play with. Grab a piece of history if you have the chance.
Milt.
W6QE

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2006 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built one of these around '75 or '76 to go with my them new TS520. Used it for years and always enjoyed it. Recently bought another one from eBay to go with the TS520SE I also bought off eBay. Good pair.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2006 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent device!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my 1st experience in using a keyer...It was a joy in building & adjusting...Received my Novice-ticket, in 1969; was WN8CXC...

KB5DRJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2006 12:44 Send this review to a friend
I love these keyers  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I got my first license (KA9LBM) back in 78 during high school, the club station had one of these fine keyers. I made hundreds of contacts using the keyer during my 4 years in high school. When I got out of the Navy and set up another station I bought another one and still use it today.

This is a good solid and reliable keyer that is fun and easy to use.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2006 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Once I realized how good these keyers are, I bought several more. One was non-working (and almost free), but as another reviewer noted, they are easy to fix.
One thing I noticed is that the speed is 'adjustable' during construction. One unit was set up for 'high speed'. This makes adjusting the speed at my comfort level, touchy. The manual describes how to set them up. I much prefer the 'slow' versions, but it's not enough of a problem to go into the fast one to change it.

I also enjoy my Heath SA-5010 with Bencher paddles.

ron

N4UE

AB7JK Rating: 3/5 Feb 16, 2006 14:29 Send this review to a friend
ok  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the keyer used and it has two issues.

1) The two paddles seem to have different spacings from the contacts - feels weird and I don't have time to rig something to cure it.
2) Keyer has a memory that anticipates the next character to be sent. Supposed to be easier but so far I haven't gotten used to it so I usually put the keyer aside and use CW Type instead.

KD5DFM Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2005 02:02 Send this review to a friend
Great keyer/ paddles  Time owned: more than 12 months
i got mine at a ham fest for 20.00 and I'm so glad i did . i really enjoy this device . if you see one be sure to pick it up cause i know you sure will like it ;-)

WA0DTH Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2004 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Versatile Keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having trained from the master of Squeeze Keyers, W0EPV Ed brown, I have always used Iambic or straight keyers. He taught me how to use them as a beginner in 1961. I built my 1410 in the mid seventies from a kit and I still use it today.
I taught three code classes with it.
I did install external paddle connection so I can use my Bencher Iambic paddles with it. There are no external adjustment for weight and the speed adjustment is a little course. But no problem with that. The neon bulb went out in mine so I replaced it with an LED supported with a rubber grommet. I had to install a 316 ohm resistor in series with the LED to drop the 5 volt down so the current through the LED was 16ma or so.

KQ6Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2004 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Still keying!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 1410 at the Santa Maria hamfest for $20 in 1980. Wired around a diode so it would key a TenTec Argosy, added a stereo phone jack on the back so I could use the paddles with a capacitive touch keyer (also Heath), and now that I have an IC-746Pro, and still using the paddles with the memory keyer in the 746Pro. I changed the tune switch so that it only keys the rig if it is pulled out, so you can practice with it off the air, even with the TX on. Also put series and parallel resistors on the speed control to make it more useable in my speed range (25wpm max instead of the original 50+). Also replaced the neon pilot light with a red LED, so running it on the station 12V supply, I have an indication that it's powered on. A classic station accessory!

N4QA Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2001 09:08 Send this review to a friend
FB timing & adaptability  Time owned: more than 12 months
Stepped up from the HD-10 to the HD-1410 in 1975.
Iambic mode B just seemed to fit, somehow.
Have always liked HD-1410's timing characteristics.
Now own three of them...one still in original configuration and other two using external paddles.
One, I converted to key the cathode of 807, 6L6 etc (added external high-voltage transistor).
Five rating given for electrical design, good looks and for ease of modification.
Currently keying HW-7/-8/-9, Meissner Signal Shifter, TS-440S etc with HD-1410s.