Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Diamond CP-5HS Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CP-5HS
Diamond CP-5HS Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $389
Description: 5 Band HF Vertical Antenna
More info: http://www.diamond-ant.jp/eng_ama_2.asp

You can write your own review of the Diamond CP-5HS.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2017 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Meets my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a new vertical for a very small backyard.
I narrowed my options to Cushcraft, Comet and Diamond. I choose the CP-5HS on the reputation of their antennas quality. I ordered mine from WiMo in Germany (BTW great price and great service). I was shocked by the fit and finish of the antenna when I've receive it. This thing is years ahead in terms of craftmanship and materials compared to Cushcraft.
It when up in around 1 hour on a 10' pole. The factory settings were right on the spot for most bands. So far the performance is good even on 40m, surprising for such a compromise antenna. Way better than a MFJ-1788 loop on the very same location. Already have many European contacts in the log including 40m. I am very happy with my purchase.

KE5LNG Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was a bit scared purchasing a vertical trap, but living in base housing means space restricted. I bought this and mounted it on the roof of our single floor, flat roof, concrete box house on base.
Tuned it with a Rig Expert AA-54, and was on the air in less than an hour after I began setting it up. 1st afternoon up I contacted 15 stations in areas 2,3,4,5,7, and 9 and 4 international - Sweden, Russia, Italy, and Argentina. I was VERY pleased. 10,15, and 20m. A bit later I discovered it worked fine on 17m too, reaching The Canary Islands, Austria, Belgium, Saudi Arabia, France and Lithuania. Overall I am extremely impressed at this antennas performance in Puerto Rico.

G8YTZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 15, 2012 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Review update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I should give an update on this antenna, as my views have changed for the better. The early quality control issues were put to bed and the antenna was taken down in April 2010 and has remained in its box until it was pressed into action for a Bromley and District Amateur Radio Society Foundation Course operating practice and demonstration.

I placed the antenna on a 20' pole with some gaffer tape around a rainwater down-pipe to hold the whole thing firm. I assembled the antenna, just as it was taken down leaving all the radials as they were and a quick tune around showed no difference to the tune from 2.5 years earlier! So nice and stable and it did a great job for the day, lots of band activity and little band noise due to a good location away from electrical noise sources, ADSL etc.

I would still mention the drift when the antenna gets wet, but as a portable antenna that is easy to set up with repeatable performance it is pretty ideal.

Justin G8YTZ

KJ6SBW Rating: 2/5 May 21, 2012 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Lot of Work to Get Tuned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update to my recent review. My "Elmer" and I managed to get the CP-5HS tuned with the help of his antenna analyzer.

Following that effort and over this past weekend, I did manage to make a couple of contacts. Nothing great but it does prove that the antenna works. Whether the price agrees with the performance remains to be seen.

One contact was in Galveston Island, Tx and another back East in Virginia. Both signal reports were just above the noise level, so performance isn't spectacular, especially since I'm only running 100 watts.

If I had this to do over again, I would definitely try a Dipole first.

PY2ONU Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2011 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Diamond CP-5HS is a good antenna to the little size. I worked all continents with diamond CP-5H in 6, 10, 15 and 20 meters phone end cw (in this bands the range is good). 40 meters is only 40 khz range (ROE 1:1) and 100 khz (1.5:1) but no problem with antenna tunner. In this band the antenns is surprising in local ou regional qso's. Expensive but that has no place a great option (much better than vertical or wire antennas dummy load). 73

W1BKZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2009 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Compact 40-6 trap vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this antenna for a week, but it certainly performs as advertised. 40 Meter performance is not great, but what do you want for 11 feet and a couple of coils? New Zealand on 20 and 15 during Field Day and Alaska on 6 meters (FM) from Ohio....need I keep going?
Ease of setup and operation speaks for itself. All in all, I am not unhappy with my purchase, although it would be nice if it were a bit less expensive. Keep up the good work, Diamond.