Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Eagle One Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Eagle One Vertical Antenna
Eagle One Vertical Antenna Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$95; whole tripod mounting kit i
Description: The Eagle One is a portable/home base antenna manufcatured by two hams in Proctorville, Ohio; W8AFX and W8GMS. The antenna itself consists of a series of fiberglass tubes telescoping to 31' with an interior radiating element of HD wire which is toped with a metal loop for either adding additional length or suspending the antenna from a fixed point. Also available is a large metal tripod which holds a 4' pole against which to strap the antenna. The antenna fits into itself and makes a tube 2" x 44". It also is available with two connectors to install it on an (RV) ladder, but not for mobile use.
More info: http://w8afx.com

You can write your own review of the Eagle One Vertical Antenna.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2017 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Over 2 years use and now with 800 Watts.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just updating my review. My Eagle One is doing great for my restricted space / HOA setup, and I have now added an Ameritron AL80B running 800 Watts SSB on 75 / 40m. Works just fine running thru a Ten - Tec 238 C manual tuner. No arcs / sparks. Electrical Tape wound at joints keeps things solid.

My last Review:
Updating my earlier review. It's been a year and a half since I installed my Eagle One (ground mounted) in a HOA situation. I have a 33' top wire attached which runs down diagonally to the o corner of my fence. W8AFX does not recommend this, but I have reinforced the metal tip ring and used 14 guage coated wire for the extension. I also have two 33ft. ground radials running down the fenceline on the ground. Everything has a little flexible droop in it and in high winds everything moves without any snapping back of the antenna tip. I have a reliable 400-500 mile contact radius on 75m where I am resonant, and using a tuner on 40m & 20m with moderate to strong stations and a few mobile contacts. I have worked Japan and Czech republic on 40 & 20m. My rig is a 200 watt Kenwood TS480HX. For what everything is at my very limited location I am tickled pink with the results. Great Job W8AFX! I will be buying another one soon for a backup. These make great HOA antennas.

Todd - KT0DD

WG2W Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2017 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Problems from start  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this last year at Orlando after seeing other Hams using one. Nothing but trouble. I guess I'm the only one that can't get the shaft to fold down because of the internal wire restricting. I would tell anyone to drill holes for screws to stop the sections from getting jammed the 1st time you deploy or you will end up with greater than a 6' pole. I was not impressed with signal strength.

KD9CLR Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2016 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a vertical antenna to use at the camp ground due to limited space and restrictions. Well, by the time I purchased this antenna I was just closing the camp site up for the season. Anyway, set the antenna up at home and am now using it for my base antenna. I am hearing stations and talking to stations that I wasn't able to do on my dipoles' at home. This antenna took all of 10 to 15 minutes to put up and the performance of the Eagle One is by far more than I expected. Steve (W8AFX) engineered a vertical antenna that works as advertised! I use a LDG YT-100 antenna tuner with a Yaesu FT-857D radio and the SWR is pretty much flat on all bands.
Great antenna Steve, Thank you.
Larry,
KD9CLR

AB7DP Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2016 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I enjoy RV camping and operating ham radio from a campsite. Over the years I have tried many different portable and mobile antennas, and each have their strengths and weaknesses in what was best for my style.

I was looking for something that was easy to setup, as efficient as possible, able to change bands, and listen to AM broadcast radio stations when not on the air.

This antenna was shipped promptly, via USPS Priority mail. I ordered the antenna with the RV ladder mount which mounted easily, all the parts appear very well made for years of use.

What I like about the antenna is the length, about 31', not a short inefficient whip. It also has a metal ring on the top of the antenna where the internal wire connects, you could clip a wire here and make the antenna even longer or an NVIS antenna. While camping, I put a wind sock on the antenna to blend in with the other beach campers.

Since this is a non-resonant antenna, I used an Icom AH-4 antenna tuner, mounted on the RV ladder below the antenna. I found I could tune all the bands except 160 meters.

While camping for about 4 days, I tuned and worked stations on 80, 40, 20, and 17 meters. I know it is anecdotal, but I seemed to have more success that when I was using short whip antennas. Could I work everyone I could hear, no, but I still had a lot of fun trying and working other stations.

The only hard part, was lowering the antenna. The internal wire comes out the bottom of the antenna through a hole. I needed a fellow camper to pull the wire out while I lowered the antenna, otherwise the wire jammed up inside.

Overall, I would recommend the antenna and think that others may enjoy using it while RV camping.

WA3CAS Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2016 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Vertical Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've seen this antenna at local hamfests for years, and was always impressed with how the co-designer of this antenna described and demonstrated his creation.

This year I finally bought the Eagle One to replace my GAP Eagle DX vertical. As recommended I bought an Icom AH-4 tuner and mounted the tuner at the base of the antenna.

I'll keep the rest of this review short and simply say I am very pleased with the performance of the Eagle One when used with the AH-4.

AB2EW Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Vertical Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first thing you notice about this antenna is the quality of construction and workmanship. The antenna is a telescoping fiberglass pole inside of which is a wire which forms the radiating/receiving element. The pole is surprising strong and rigid after extension, which is a very easy process. The tripod is strong and is secured to the ground with three four-foot ground rods. The mounting is sturdy and quite confidence-inducing. I mounted my Eagle next to a long chain-link fence which I used as my ground system (in addition to the ground rods). I'm using the antenna in a permanent setup at my QTH, but it takes only 15-20 minutes to erect, so it would do well in portable situations. The antenna tunes to a low SWR over 80-10 with my MFJ tuner in the shack. However, I decided to put a matching network at the base of the antenna, and I was able to design a three-element pi-network that matches the 30-foot Eagle One on both 40 and 30 meters. So now no further tuning is necessary on these bands. So far I've used the Eagle on 40m mainly and have found that it compares favorably to my 40m dipole erected at a height of 35-40 feet. With some DX stations at night, the vertical performs better than the dipole by 1/2 - 1 S unit, probably because of the lower angle of radiation with the vertical over the dipole. Other times the dipole is better by about an S-unit. I am very happy with these results, and I would recommend the Eagle One to anyone who wants a simple and effective portable or fixed 30-foot vertical antenna.

K8LEN Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the antenna on a WEDNESDAY night and it was here SATURDAY, great service.
It took about 15 minutes or less to assemble, and I hooked up a 50 foot counter poise on it, it was a flat swr on 40.
I have only used it on ARMY MARS frequencies, outside the amateur band and it performed as suppose to.
I wonder what if anyone used some water proof sealant around the antenna connection?
73/pat/k8len

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Stealth Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just moved to an HOA-antenna-restricted neighborhood early this year when I saw the Eagle One people displaying their wares at the Orlando Hamfest. I immediately noticed how stealthy the antenna was - very slim and almost an invisible black in color, so I decided to buy one to try at my new QTH. The Eagle One antenna is well-hidden behind my back fence, against some trees, and so far no neighbor has complained. I bought the whole package including tripod and ground rods. The assembly and erection was easy although I had to drill out holes in the tripod feet for a better fit of the ground rods. Also, I had to spray-paint the tripod black. Nevertheless I was very surprised at how well it worked with just the ground rods - no radials! I have 150 feet of RG-213 coax feeding it and use an Icom 7600 with internal auto tuner. It tuned easily on all bands, 40-10 meters. In 4 days I worked over 50 countries running only 50-100 watts. My new QTH is on a hill, so I'm sure that helps, nevertheless the Eagle One's performance is sufficient as to make me not miss too much my former QTH nearby which had a 6-element Log Periodic antenna.

W6CD Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2014 00:17 Send this review to a friend
works well, easy uo/down  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Eagle One antenna mounted to the rear ladder of my 38' motorhome. Radio is a Kenwood 480 with LDG KT100 tuner. Grounded to motorhome chassis. Radio unit and tuner are located in a storage compartment near the antenna - control head inside the motorhome using a long separation cable.

Antenna takes just a couple three minutes to extend / retract - quick easy setup was primary goal. Antenna performance is very good on 10-40m bands. As expected, not good on 80m.

NN3RP Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2013 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Super!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Back in September I bought this antenna at a Hamfest. At that time, I saw a pile of people around this big pole with a flag on top. I've seen this ant being sold before but always walked away from it. Well, I was in for a surprise.

At first, I had troubles in getting it to work. Only after I placed several double radials 32', 16', 8' long, I was able to make this vertical to work properly.

The ant sits on its own tripod and it is supported by its three small ground rods. I added a 10' copper ground rod from Homedepot and connected it with a silver braided ground cable to the antenna ground.

On 40M and 6M this antenna has a flat SWR (no tuner required). On other bands the SWR is low but the Tokyo tuner brings it down with ease. I created a spreadsheet of the sweat points so I can easily point my tuner to.

This ant resonates in all directions of the world NSEW as tested during several contests since September. I ran my station at 1Kw during contests and this ant can withstand it.

Comparing it to Carolina Windom (80M) and Force 12 (my other two ant) is practically impossible. The reception seems to be of equal effect.

One caveat found was that the last two sections did not stay in place. I noticed that the SWR changed in one ocassion on 40M. In visually checking the ant, it was noticed that the last two sections had come down. We'd had several days of heavy wind in the area. To prevent this from happening, I placed several rounds of color tape ABOVE the juncture of each section. Tested SWR again and I was back in business. The tape has kept it there for good and I always can see the color tape there.

Overall, this is an easy to setup antenna. Radials are a must have for it to work efficiently. For us with limited space in our yards, it is a great ant to be owned.

I am very happy with it and I can recommend to anyone.