Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Eagle One Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Eagle One Vertical Antenna
Eagle One Vertical Antenna Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$95; whole tripod mounting kit i
Description: The Eagle One is a portable/home base antenna manufcatured by two hams in Proctorville, Ohio; W8AFX and W8GMS. The antenna itself consists of a series of fiberglass tubes telescoping to 31' with an interior radiating element of HD wire which is toped with a metal loop for either adding additional length or suspending the antenna from a fixed point. Also available is a large metal tripod which holds a 4' pole against which to strap the antenna. The antenna fits into itself and makes a tube 2" x 44". It also is available with two connectors to install it on an (RV) ladder, but not for mobile use.
More info: http://w8afx.com

You can write your own review of the Eagle One Vertical Antenna.

W8DCB Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
So far so good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna on a friday afternoon and it was on my door step on Saturday afternoon. NOT BAD!
Anyway. I errected it as the instructions suggested. It took me about 15 minutes to drive the support pole into my hard clay back yard, but the antenna itself was mounted and deployed in about 10 minutes. I connected my coax to the SO-239, connected the other end to my LDG auto tuner and was on the air. My first contact was Guatemalla. Recieved a 5-7 report! Next I went to 40m and made several contacts in North America on PSK. Then worked a VE, EA, GW and several other DX stations on PSK. That is with no grounding, no radials.
I then cut radials for 10, 15, 17, 20 and 40 meters. Grounded the antenna attached the radials using a home made radial plate. I then spent the rest of the day working DX stations on Phone and digital modes.
Bottom line? Glad a spent the money. It was not wasted. BTW. You can purchase different accesories for this antenna from the web site.

KD8ELY Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2012 01:32 Send this review to a friend
So Simple  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I attended the Butler PA ham fest in the summer of 2011 when I had come across this antenna. All set up and being demonstrated i was surprised how little there was to it and how well it worked. I took it home, set it up and was instantly on the air. I was making contacts all over the lower 48, and was even surprised to have a few DX stations. For field day i worked a texas station QRP SSB <10watts. My first QRP contact! I have since however slightly modified the antenna with a heavy gauge ground wire (automotive battery cable)run from the coax connection to a ground rod/support included with the antenna. I had no noticable change in performance, but feel it's a better ground. I Highly reccomend this antenna for field day, emcomm, and other portable operations.

KC8AON Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2011 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Eagle One for some time now and reading the reviews where folks say it doesn't work well has me wondering what they are doing wrong ? I can work anyone I hear on it even though I run about 2 watts QRP ! I have one setup at home permanently and one I use portable for QRP field ops. The one at home has the Icom AH-4 auto tuner at the feedpoint and uses the metal roof of my mobile home as a ground plane. The one I use portable is setup using a spiked ground mount that is stuck in the ground and then the Eagle One is mounted on that. Its fed direct with 20' of 50 ohm coax and a homebrew Zmatch tuner that I built and will tune it just fine 10 thru 80 meters for use with my Yaesu FT-817. So far I get good signal reports running only 2 watts CW, but I do use four 16' wire radials laid out like spokes of a wheel when portable - no 30' radials needed ! Thing works like gangbusters for me at 2 watts, so I just don't understand why it doesn't do the same for someone else ?

W9DAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Quality antenna, bargain price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Eagle One over a year ago. At that time I intended it to be a "temporary" replacement for a wire dipole that had come down in an ice storm. I chose the Eagle one because a friend had one and it seemed to work well for him. That and the price was right.
I enjoyed talking to Steve Sheers at Eagle One Antennas on the phone and my new antenna arrived within 2 days of my order.
My Eagle One is mounted to one of posts of our chain link fence. It was extremely easy to install.
I did not run a radial system, just a single 34 foot counterpoise that is laid out on top of the ground. The counterpoise is attached to the bolt that is located just below the SO-239 connector.
By now my Eagle One has made it through a rough Northern Indiana winter, including ice and high winds, and it continues to work better than ever.
Running a Yaesu FT-450 at 100 watts and an LDG YT-450 tuner I have made contacts all over the US with excellent signal reports. I also get through pile-ups to make DX contacts on such a routine basis that I don't even find it remarkable anymore.
In my experience I've found the Eagle One antenna to be a quality piece of kit. Well designed, and well made, it sells for an absolute bargain price.
Furthermore it's sold by people who care about their product and treat you like customers should be treated.
Can you find a better HF antenna than the Eagle one? I'm sure that you can.
But you won't find one that is as simple, rugged, easy to use, and works this well for the price.
That makes the Eagle One a 5/5 in my book.

You can read my full review of the Eagle One on my website here: http://w9daz.blogspot.com/2010/03/eagle-one-antenna.html

NC4DK Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna almost two years ago but never put it up until December, 2010. After reading various recommendations on ground radials I asked Steve, W8AFX for his advice. Steve advised to install it with a ground rod through each tripod leg and use a 4:1 balun. As strange as it sounded, I gave it a try, running it through an LDG 4:1 balun and an LDG IT-100 tuner. WOW!! Through 172 contacts from my QTH in North Carolina I have worked 32 states (including HI), 42 countries, and 5 continents. I have received great signal reports, including many who express disbelief when I describe my setup. Is it comparable to a multi-element Yagi on a 65-foot tower? No. But I can disassemble the whole setup if I want to take it on vacation. In my humble opinion, there is not a better value on the market for an HF vertical than the Eagle One.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2011 02:45 Send this review to a friend
Works Good on RV  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed the Eagle One on the ladder of my motor home. I use a IC-706MKIIG with a AH-4 antenna tuner. I have no problems making contacts. I've tried a screwdriver antenna, ham sticks and CHA-250 and the Eagle One out performs them all. What a GREAT addition to my motor home. I am well pleased.

Mike WM4RB Cleveland, TN

KB3JLW Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2011 18:12 Send this review to a friend
KB3JLW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the Eagle One at the Orlando Hamcation February 2011, took it home and had it set up in 15 minutes. Now, I think I could do it in 5 - 10 minutes. I had several good reports so far and it performs quite well. I have it mounted on the tripod and grounded well. So far it performs well.

WW8O Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2009 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the Eagle One up for about three months.

I have gotten a great report with mine. I have it set up in the backyard, I have 5 radial 33 feet long, and two radial 66 feet long. I have worked 75 through 10 meter. My rig is a FT-897d running 50 watts with a AT-897 tuner, ninety feet of coax running from the shack to the antenna. I have worked the IARU contest, made just 75 contacts. I have worked about six countries and got good reports, they was on 40 & 20 meters.

I have worked VK and JA on 75 meters with just 50 watts and the Eagle One. I like the antenna and some on the contacts that I work cannot believe I am on a vertical, on the ground, and only 50 watts. So I say I would like to buy another one and cophase them, and will try this full.

Good antenna -- Steve W8AFX

There is a user group on Yahoo.com
eagleoneantenna@yahoo.com

WW8O Gary.

NX6R Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2009 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Very good performer - with this modification  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up an Eagle One package at a recent hamfest. We had good success with it this past Field Day in a local park, with a twist. The antenna was set up in an open field. An ICOM AH-2 automatic antenna tuner was strapped to the tripod. A lead weight balanced the tripod. 10-inch nail pegs (tent-stakes) from Wal-Mart secured the tripod legs. We added a "counterpoise"/single radial of quarter-wave insulated wires cut for each band (80/75/40/20/10 - 30/15 are third harmonics of 80/40) bound together and laid on the grass, connected to the ground terminal of the tuner. A few turns of the RG-8X feedline and of the tuner control cable formed current chokes at the tuner. The feed and control lines were routed perpendicular to the antenna and counterpoise. We attached 35.5-feet of 30-gauge magnet wire to the top of the antenna using the lug provided for such, and ran it and monofilament line to a 10-foot PVC conduit strapped to a fence post, keeping the wire well above runners in the park. A plastic button served as an insulator. We mounted a small pulley and three 1-oz lead sinker weights on the conduit. The counterweight kept gentle tension on the magnet wire, while permitting some wind motion. The magnet wire stayed up throughout and only flexed the top of the Eagle One an inch or two. The setup was mechanically stable without guying.

The result of all this was a base-fed half-wave inverted-L (nearly 50% vertical+50% horizontal) cut for 7-MHz. This configuration was recommended by antenna guru L. B. Cebik W4RNL(SK) in his article “Straightening Out the Inverted-L”. It is voltage-fed (high impedance) on 40-meters and its harmonics, with lower impedance elsewhere. According to Cebik, this is a good general-purpose multiband performer, if you match the voltage feed. The antenna loaded fine on all HF bands 160-10 meters even without counterpoise wires cut for 160/60/17/12, although such should be added if better performance on those bands is desired.

The inverted-L voltage feed relaxed the need for an extensive radial system. In addition, the maximum current/effective radiation point (effective height) was elevated for 40 M and up, and even a bit on 80 and 160. The antenna is 1/4-wave on 80 and 1/8-wave on 160, making radials more important there, although we had good luck on 80/75 with just the counterpoise. We had good coverage in all directions, confirming Cebik’s pattern analysis.

The internal wire and magnet wire extension provide better than 80% power efficiency (less than 1 dB copper loss). Counterpoise plus copper loss is about 4 dB (2/3 S-unit) on 80-meters. The voltage feed reduces this to about 1 dB on 40/20/15/10. Site-dependent ground loss will be the biggest factor. Raising the effective height helps with that. Adding radials would also help. The automatic tuner alleviates the issue of narrow bandwidth due to the magnet wire. The AH-2's 5000-ohm matching range had no problem handling the voltage feed. Other tuners may require extending the magnet wire a few feet to reduce the feed point impedance, at the cost of slightly increased power transfer to the counterpoise, assumed to be loss.

Both theory and experience dictate that to get the most out of an antenna, one should increase the radiation resistance/effective aperture, raise the effective height, and keep the antenna clear of other objects. Charles Rauch W8JI gives a good tutorial at http://www.w8ji.com/radiation_resistance.htm. This full-size configuration met these objectives in a portable setup. We had no trouble making contacts coast-to-coast (including AK and HI) under contest conditions, even breaking through a few pile-ups. Many stations came back to us on the first call. Bottom line: we had a respectable signal on the air, all bands, all directions, fast one-button automatic tuning, easy set-up, reasonable cost.

The quality of the Eagle One hardware, while not terrible, could be better. It is adequate for our purpose, however, and the price is right. I would have rated this antenna 5-stars, except for the slight quality issue.

Rick Blasco NX6R
ARRL Emergency Coordinator, Claiborne County TN

K4DJL Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2009 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Better than R7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I attached the antenna to my chain link fence post and raised to 33'. I could not tell it apart from my Alpha Delta DXCC at 35' inverted "V". 10-60 meters with no problems and handles my ALS-600 without issue. I will be moving the Eable One to a 10' pole, connecting a ground rod, and use the fence as a counter wire. I just might get 6-160. I must have walk by their RV six times before buying the antenna. Can't wait to get it up higher.