Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Eagle One Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Eagle One Vertical Antenna
Eagle One Vertical Antenna Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$95; whole tripod mounting kit i
Description: The Eagle One is a portable/home base antenna manufcatured by two hams in Proctorville, Ohio; W8AFX and W8GMS. The antenna itself consists of a series of fiberglass tubes telescoping to 31' with an interior radiating element of HD wire which is toped with a metal loop for either adding additional length or suspending the antenna from a fixed point. Also available is a large metal tripod which holds a 4' pole against which to strap the antenna. The antenna fits into itself and makes a tube 2" x 44". It also is available with two connectors to install it on an (RV) ladder, but not for mobile use.
More info: http://w8afx.com

You can write your own review of the Eagle One Vertical Antenna.

K0TIS Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2013 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstand  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am a 65 year old MARS operator. Because of the distance between trees I was always having to re hang my dipole. I can't do that anymore. My club had purchased an Eagle One for field day and it worked so good that I purchased one last winter to use as my MARS antenna. The other MARS members in my state and surrounding states tell me I have never sounded so good. I installed the antenna as a permanent installation. I'm in the process of installing 60 radials. I'm only using 6 68ft 12 gage stranded wire till I get my radials in. Before my medical problem I had planned to work QRP portable with my FT-817 and this is the antenna I would have used. Leaving the cost out of it, which is really good it is the best Vertical Antenna I have ever used.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2013 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried several vertical antenna's on my RV and the Eagle One out preformed them all hands down. I have a 43 ft. vertical in my yard with a tuner at the base and the Eagle One out preforms it too. I have the Eagle One mounted on the back of my RV with an AH-4 tuner at the base of the antenna. No problems here.

N3OC Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 2013 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Antenna OK, hitch mount not so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to give it a 3.5 but can only rate in full numbers here.

Antenna was fine, more on that later. But the trailer hitch mount did not work and most dimensions were off spec.

Tried it in three different hitch receivers, and it would fit in none of them. After some serious time on a belt sander rounding off the corners, I was finally able to get it to fit. Then I found off the hole for the pin was mislocated a bit and probably too small to account for a little wiggle room, so had to drill that out to the next size. Then it finally worked fine.

The antenna itself worked great, and I found I could get good results with it even without a tuner on 40, 15 and 6 meters.

I would give the antenna a 4, maybe even a 4.5, and the hitch mount a 2 (needs help as the rating suggests) hence my overall rating of a 3.

NN3RP Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Not yet setup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am marking this Great as I have to mark one of the entries down. I have not setup this ant yet.

I attended the Virginia Beach, Va hamfest yesterday, Sept. 14, 2013 and saw this man again selling his vertical dipole antenna. I've seen him in many hamfest in the region and seen how many people purchase from him. I decided to give it a try. For $170 it would be a good deal if it works as as is said it does. But its portability attracted me most as well.

I will be setting it up in the next few days and I will come back here with my review of it.

Note: I also own a Force 12 and Carolina
Windom. I'll use these for comaparison purposes but understanding that the polarization will be different.

I'll be back!!!

Rafael / NN3RP
Washington, DC

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Works VERY WELL!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used my Eagle One on six or eight occasions. With the club on a 100 watt rig.

Simply set up on a steel base with the antenna mounted on a pipe welded to the base. Base can be carried to a good spot. Stretch out 30+- single wire on the ground. Hook up the coax and fire up the RIG with a TUNER. BEAUTIFUL RESULTS.

Last week went "RV CAMPING". Mounted Eagle One on the RV tounge (same antenna as above, mounted on a pipe that fits into the pipe welded on the RV) attached the coax. Laid out 30'+- counterpoise and fired up my KX3!

In six days with MISERABLE BAND CONDITIONS, (couple of hours a day) I worked 50+- contacts.

21 countries and one NEW LIFETIME COUNTRY #149 El Salvador !

This antenna IS EASY TO DEPLOY.

This antenna is PRICED RIGHT.

What more can I say?

IT SIMPLY WORKS !!!!!

KL7EDK Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2013 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Simple-and Works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
You can't get much simpler than this. I found some 9" X 3/16" lag screws and used them to hold the tripod to the ground. Didn't even wiggle in 30 mph wind. Laid out 4 radials and used a small
LDG tuner. Works great. Great for portable or temporary setup or even a GO-Kit if needed. If you can't make this work you're in the wrong hobby. Very simple parts and assembly. No complaints - very satisfied!

KE4ZUN Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looked at the Eagle One antenna at the Shelby, NC Hamfest for several years and finally decided to give it a try. I have been very pleased with its performance.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine !~  Time owned: more than 12 months
Talked with this guy at Orlando for three consecutive years and finally bought one. Fed it with my Icom AH-4 like he did and what a great antenna !! I did the ground rod plus 4 radials and can hear/talk to almost anyone I can hear.. I'm amazed at the results with this simple vertical, and for only a hundred and a half for the complete antenna and tripod rig.. a great bargain in today's ham environment... well worth your consideration ! I know I love mine !

KJ4EZX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 18:11 Send this review to a friend
RV lifestlye and Eagle One perfect match for ME  Time owned: more than 12 months
Travel in an rv and a couple of things come up storage space and power. So for my ft857d and my 817d I chose several antennas. A buddi pole , a gr5rv and a yo-yo , and the Eagle One Vertical.
I have talked all over on this antenna . I have not used radials with it, I pound the rods into the ground, take some electrical tape and push each section up and twist it then tape it to lock the joint in place. This works very well when the wind is blowing to keep the flexing antenna from slipping down a section. I had it up ALL winter in the cold North Carolina mountains and it never slipped down even with the winds from Hurricane Sandy. I run 5 watts or 100 watts that is all . Have nothing but praise for it . When I broke the wire connection I contacted the manufacture and a new part was on the way. I have worked Japan Australia New Zealand and Russia all over Europe.
When it come time to move the rv I take the tape off and collapse the unit down and it stores very nicely .
My equipment is 100 watt solar panel 2 deep cycle batteries and a Heil pro 3 headset and ft857d or 817 ... I am a very big supporter of this very portable antenna . 73's Terry KJ4EZX

W8DCB Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
So far so good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna on a friday afternoon and it was on my door step on Saturday afternoon. NOT BAD!
Anyway. I errected it as the instructions suggested. It took me about 15 minutes to drive the support pole into my hard clay back yard, but the antenna itself was mounted and deployed in about 10 minutes. I connected my coax to the SO-239, connected the other end to my LDG auto tuner and was on the air. My first contact was Guatemalla. Recieved a 5-7 report! Next I went to 40m and made several contacts in North America on PSK. Then worked a VE, EA, GW and several other DX stations on PSK. That is with no grounding, no radials.
I then cut radials for 10, 15, 17, 20 and 40 meters. Grounded the antenna attached the radials using a home made radial plate. I then spent the rest of the day working DX stations on Phone and digital modes.
Bottom line? Glad a spent the money. It was not wasted. BTW. You can purchase different accesories for this antenna from the web site.