Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Eagle One Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Eagle One Vertical Antenna
Eagle One Vertical Antenna Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$95; whole tripod mounting kit i
Description: The Eagle One is a portable/home base antenna manufcatured by two hams in Proctorville, Ohio; W8AFX and W8GMS. The antenna itself consists of a series of fiberglass tubes telescoping to 31' with an interior radiating element of HD wire which is toped with a metal loop for either adding additional length or suspending the antenna from a fixed point. Also available is a large metal tripod which holds a 4' pole against which to strap the antenna. The antenna fits into itself and makes a tube 2" x 44". It also is available with two connectors to install it on an (RV) ladder, but not for mobile use.
More info: http://w8afx.com

You can write your own review of the Eagle One Vertical Antenna.

NN3RP Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Not yet setup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am marking this Great as I have to mark one of the entries down. I have not setup this ant yet.

I attended the Virginia Beach, Va hamfest yesterday, Sept. 14, 2013 and saw this man again selling his vertical dipole antenna. I've seen him in many hamfest in the region and seen how many people purchase from him. I decided to give it a try. For $170 it would be a good deal if it works as as is said it does. But its portability attracted me most as well.

I will be setting it up in the next few days and I will come back here with my review of it.

Note: I also own a Force 12 and Carolina
Windom. I'll use these for comaparison purposes but understanding that the polarization will be different.

I'll be back!!!

Rafael / NN3RP
Washington, DC

WD0BC Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Works VERY WELL!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used my Eagle One on six or eight occasions. With the club on a 100 watt rig.

Simply set up on a steel base with the antenna mounted on a pipe welded to the base. Base can be carried to a good spot. Stretch out 30+- single wire on the ground. Hook up the coax and fire up the RIG with a TUNER. BEAUTIFUL RESULTS.

Last week went "RV CAMPING". Mounted Eagle One on the RV tounge (same antenna as above, mounted on a pipe that fits into the pipe welded on the RV) attached the coax. Laid out 30'+- counterpoise and fired up my KX3!

In six days with MISERABLE BAND CONDITIONS, (couple of hours a day) I worked 50+- contacts.

21 countries and one NEW LIFETIME COUNTRY #149 El Salvador !

This antenna IS EASY TO DEPLOY.

This antenna is PRICED RIGHT.

What more can I say?

IT SIMPLY WORKS !!!!!

KL7EDK Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2013 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Simple-and Works!  Time owned: more than 12 months
You can't get much simpler than this. I found some 9" X 3/16" lag screws and used them to hold the tripod to the ground. Didn't even wiggle in 30 mph wind. Laid out 4 radials and used a small
LDG tuner. Works great. Great for portable or temporary setup or even a GO-Kit if needed. If you can't make this work you're in the wrong hobby. Very simple parts and assembly. No complaints - very satisfied!

KE4ZUN Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looked at the Eagle One antenna at the Shelby, NC Hamfest for several years and finally decided to give it a try. I have been very pleased with its performance.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine !~  Time owned: more than 12 months
Talked with this guy at Orlando for three consecutive years and finally bought one. Fed it with my Icom AH-4 like he did and what a great antenna !! I did the ground rod plus 4 radials and can hear/talk to almost anyone I can hear.. I'm amazed at the results with this simple vertical, and for only a hundred and a half for the complete antenna and tripod rig.. a great bargain in today's ham environment... well worth your consideration ! I know I love mine !

KJ4EZX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 18:11 Send this review to a friend
RV lifestlye and Eagle One perfect match for ME  Time owned: more than 12 months
Travel in an rv and a couple of things come up storage space and power. So for my ft857d and my 817d I chose several antennas. A buddi pole , a gr5rv and a yo-yo , and the Eagle One Vertical.
I have talked all over on this antenna . I have not used radials with it, I pound the rods into the ground, take some electrical tape and push each section up and twist it then tape it to lock the joint in place. This works very well when the wind is blowing to keep the flexing antenna from slipping down a section. I had it up ALL winter in the cold North Carolina mountains and it never slipped down even with the winds from Hurricane Sandy. I run 5 watts or 100 watts that is all . Have nothing but praise for it . When I broke the wire connection I contacted the manufacture and a new part was on the way. I have worked Japan Australia New Zealand and Russia all over Europe.
When it come time to move the rv I take the tape off and collapse the unit down and it stores very nicely .
My equipment is 100 watt solar panel 2 deep cycle batteries and a Heil pro 3 headset and ft857d or 817 ... I am a very big supporter of this very portable antenna . 73's Terry KJ4EZX

W8DCB Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
So far so good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna on a friday afternoon and it was on my door step on Saturday afternoon. NOT BAD!
Anyway. I errected it as the instructions suggested. It took me about 15 minutes to drive the support pole into my hard clay back yard, but the antenna itself was mounted and deployed in about 10 minutes. I connected my coax to the SO-239, connected the other end to my LDG auto tuner and was on the air. My first contact was Guatemalla. Recieved a 5-7 report! Next I went to 40m and made several contacts in North America on PSK. Then worked a VE, EA, GW and several other DX stations on PSK. That is with no grounding, no radials.
I then cut radials for 10, 15, 17, 20 and 40 meters. Grounded the antenna attached the radials using a home made radial plate. I then spent the rest of the day working DX stations on Phone and digital modes.
Bottom line? Glad a spent the money. It was not wasted. BTW. You can purchase different accesories for this antenna from the web site.

KD8ELY Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2012 01:32 Send this review to a friend
So Simple  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I attended the Butler PA ham fest in the summer of 2011 when I had come across this antenna. All set up and being demonstrated i was surprised how little there was to it and how well it worked. I took it home, set it up and was instantly on the air. I was making contacts all over the lower 48, and was even surprised to have a few DX stations. For field day i worked a texas station QRP SSB <10watts. My first QRP contact! I have since however slightly modified the antenna with a heavy gauge ground wire (automotive battery cable)run from the coax connection to a ground rod/support included with the antenna. I had no noticable change in performance, but feel it's a better ground. I Highly reccomend this antenna for field day, emcomm, and other portable operations.

KC8AON Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2011 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Eagle One for some time now and reading the reviews where folks say it doesn't work well has me wondering what they are doing wrong ? I can work anyone I hear on it even though I run about 2 watts QRP ! I have one setup at home permanently and one I use portable for QRP field ops. The one at home has the Icom AH-4 auto tuner at the feedpoint and uses the metal roof of my mobile home as a ground plane. The one I use portable is setup using a spiked ground mount that is stuck in the ground and then the Eagle One is mounted on that. Its fed direct with 20' of 50 ohm coax and a homebrew Zmatch tuner that I built and will tune it just fine 10 thru 80 meters for use with my Yaesu FT-817. So far I get good signal reports running only 2 watts CW, but I do use four 16' wire radials laid out like spokes of a wheel when portable - no 30' radials needed ! Thing works like gangbusters for me at 2 watts, so I just don't understand why it doesn't do the same for someone else ?

W9DAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Quality antenna, bargain price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Eagle One over a year ago. At that time I intended it to be a "temporary" replacement for a wire dipole that had come down in an ice storm. I chose the Eagle one because a friend had one and it seemed to work well for him. That and the price was right.
I enjoyed talking to Steve Sheers at Eagle One Antennas on the phone and my new antenna arrived within 2 days of my order.
My Eagle One is mounted to one of posts of our chain link fence. It was extremely easy to install.
I did not run a radial system, just a single 34 foot counterpoise that is laid out on top of the ground. The counterpoise is attached to the bolt that is located just below the SO-239 connector.
By now my Eagle One has made it through a rough Northern Indiana winter, including ice and high winds, and it continues to work better than ever.
Running a Yaesu FT-450 at 100 watts and an LDG YT-450 tuner I have made contacts all over the US with excellent signal reports. I also get through pile-ups to make DX contacts on such a routine basis that I don't even find it remarkable anymore.
In my experience I've found the Eagle One antenna to be a quality piece of kit. Well designed, and well made, it sells for an absolute bargain price.
Furthermore it's sold by people who care about their product and treat you like customers should be treated.
Can you find a better HF antenna than the Eagle one? I'm sure that you can.
But you won't find one that is as simple, rugged, easy to use, and works this well for the price.
That makes the Eagle One a 5/5 in my book.

You can read my full review of the Eagle One on my website here: http://w9daz.blogspot.com/2010/03/eagle-one-antenna.html