Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Heathkit HW-202 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HW-202
Heathkit HW-202 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $unknown
Description: 2 Meter 6-channel transceiver, 10 watts output; kit.

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HW-202.

K9MHZ Rating: 1/5 Jun 21, 2014 06:27 Send this review to a friend
OLD and very basic, not a seriuous option today  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver was just OK even back in the day. Most repeaters didn't have CTCSS like today, and since the rig switches in/out crystals, you're getting a double whammy of old mediocrity. It had a mechanical relay for t/r switching, and didn't do much else except put out 10 watts on your installed crystal frequency.

So, you're getting a relic from the 70s that was very basic even back then. Avoid the "magical Heathkit moments" thinking that should have run its course years ago. If you have a very basic, specific purpose for it then go for it, but not for more than $20 at a flea market. Most of the rig's microphones I've seen are pretty trashed or destroyed.

Basically, it's a loser.

WB4LFC Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2010 18:31 Send this review to a friend
My 1st 2 meter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the kit and matching power supply and assembled them in 1974.I sold the rig to another ham who used it for awhile and he sold it to another ham who used the transmitter board in a repeater that stayed on the air a number of years until lightning whiped it out.I still use the power supply for QRP rigs.I also am still using the Ringo Ranger antenna I bought to use with it.

KF8HW Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2009 12:02 Send this review to a friend
A nice Plain-Jane rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio with the matching power supply back around 1989 from the wife of an SK for $40. Nobody wanted it so I scooped it up. This was my first 2 meter radio. I changed a couple of the channels to frequencies I could use in my area and used it for many years. I used it as a mobile at first , then relegated it to home use on the local repeater. I got great compliments on the audio. These radios had two banks of buttons to select the desired frequency. You had to purchase crystals with a specified frequency (figured with a simple formula) that got plugged in the guts. Then you needed to fine adjust that crystal with a frequency counter to the desired operating freq. Easy task. To switch freq's only required pushing the buttons on the front panel. Remember this radio was produced in kit form back in the 1970's. They are very basic, but operate well. I had many enjoyable QSO's with it. When I moved from the area I gave it to a good friend since it had all the local frequencies,and he still has it in service! I will never understand Heathkit's decision on paint color for their radio gear; they must have had a special deal on bulk aqua green pool paint down at the wholesale clearance paint store! As humble as it is, this rig serviced me well. I upgraded a few minor things such as the power cord, the on/off switch on the power supply, replaced the bulb, fuse holder, etc. I'm happy it still works and is keeping somebody on the air!