Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT4K Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT4K
Palstar AT4K Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $895.00
Description: The AT4K is a premium quality American-made matching network
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT4K.

W8YG Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2011 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a wonderful tuner has served me well for 2 years and is virtually indestructible but beware of 2 year olds they can do the impossible.LOL Excellent tuner and great service from Palstar.

N2ETJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 13:44 Send this review to a friend
BIG is the word  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the Ten-Tec 238a tuner for years, always had to be careful, caps c11 went out twice but when it failed for the third time and I was told 400 plus dollars to fix I said time to get a real tuner and this AT4K is the real deal. Easily tunes anything and everything and duplicates it every time. What a nice feel too. I should have purchased one years ago. This will be last one I will ever need. Yes, I would purchase again

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2010 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner BUT  Time owned: more than 12 months
As my summary states this is a great tuner. However I got off to a rocky start with Palstar. I was told it was in stock ready to ship when I called them on the telephone to inquiry about it. I was told it would be here within 2-3 days from Ohio to IL. After a week/noshow I again called Palstar and was told at this time they were just putting the finishing touches on my tuner and it would be shipped later that day. It did arrive in a couple of days and the metering was total out of whack. RF output readings on both scales were W-A-Y high. In addition the meter would not zero and it appeared a small object had gotten into the movement preventing it from going to 0. I called Palstar and talked to Paul and he stated he had never seen this before but was more than happy to make it right. He shipped me a new meter and I agreed to install it myself. After replacing the meter and calibrating it with a Bird Model 43 everything was correct. IMHO this tuner was pushed out the door with little or no testing and calibration. It really put a damper on my buying from Palstar but after a couple of years the tuner has more than lived up to its good name. I run legal limit on 160-15 (AL 1500) each day and run ladder line on 75-40m with this tuner and never once has it protested. Again IMHO for the price & class of this tuner I expected better quality control. To Paul's credit he did offer to issue a call tag and pick the tuner up, return it to him and he would do the work.

KC2DIS Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2010 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Well Built and BIG!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the AT4k becasue I wanted a tuner that would handle larger power requirements for future amplifier upgrades and still provide maximum tuning efficency. I use the Palstar with a G5RV cut for 10 to 80. My previous tuner was an MFJ 989D. I returned that tuner becasue the metering was grossly inaccurate and opted instead to try this Palstar. Well there is no discernible difference between the 989d and the Palstar in terms of tuning ability but there is a big difference in construction. This unit is built very well. The Inductor really does have the feel of a VFO albeit a bit stiff. There was also a nice little bag of extras that included an extra bulb should the original burn out, some cotton swabs?? and some extra screws althouth no mention was made of these in the instruction manual. The tuning chart does NOT include settings for the WARC bands but I have had not trouble tuninging those bands. Have not tried 10 meters yet. The metering was VERY accurate. The unit does NOT include a dummy load so one must be purchased seperately and hooked to the BYPASS output. If you really want nice construction this is the unit to get but beware it is BIG. I gave it a five for construction but I would not expect it to tune a wet noodle. I would say it does an average job in this department but this could be because of the particulars of my antenna installation. I have NOT tried the unit with high power yet but from the looks of the construction it should have no problems with it. I think if it were possible to give it a 4.5 I would becasue of the average tuning ability. If you really want to invest in quality construction you will not be disappointed.

K5BTV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2009 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Super Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not only is this a terrific piece of gear but when I requested factory support Palstar took care of me first class! Wish more USA companies were this fine. You will be pleased all the way around.

WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2008 07:10 Send this review to a friend
The Last Tuner You Will Ever Have to Buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve owned the AT4K now for well over a year. The only issues I have had was the death of the meter bulb. The lamp is easily available from Rat Shack so not a problem for replacement. The tuner has operated flawlessly with no spitting or arcing. Operating is straight-forward with no gotchas. Construction quality is some of the best I have seen in amateur radio. In fact, the quality is borderline Mil-Spec. Buy one of these and you will never use a MFJ Tuner again. I promise you on that.

W3RXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2008 19:56 Send this review to a friend
True to their motto  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This tuner is "Built like a Tank" AND I believe I could tune a wet noodle, with it. It tunes everything I have thrown at it. It is the most solid performer I have seen, so far, and Paul is right there, if you have any questions, happy to help, with his expertise.
Get this tuner, there is no better.

N6KYS Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2007 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Very nice tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently (Aug 2007) purchased this tuner, and the first thing I did was open it and look to see if the quality is there, given its price. It definitely is. This thing is built very well, including the roller inductor. The metering is top shelf, and the circuit design itself is very unique.....allowing for balanced or unbalanced line matching by grounding or lifting from ground the bottom end of the inductor through the clever use of a relay. The T network design matches just about anything. I have not had the problems described in other reviews in matching antennas on 10 meters...it works well there, too.

Nice, BIG, quality unit...make sure you have the room at your operating position.

K7BIR Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2007 13:21 Send this review to a friend
TOIP NOTCH UNIT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my AT4K for over a year now. I find the controls smooth to operate. Both the transmitter and antenna capacitors. The roller inductor is also smooth to operate. The cross-needle SWR meter is easy to read and use in tune up. The AT4K also has a peak reading meter. This is usefull in reading SSB peak output. I had a Nye Viking MB-VA tuner prior to my AT4K. I could not tune across 160 meters on my inverted "L" antenna. I also had trouble tuning all of 40 meters on the same band. The AT4K is built like a tank. It weighs about 27 pounds and is larger than a DRAKE L7 AMPLIFIER. You will need to allow some space in your operating area for this tuner. If I were to trade mine off, it would be for the AT5K unit.

A71EM Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2007 23:28 Send this review to a friend
The best tuner in market  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this Big Tuner for almost one and half year now and I foud it just like what they said about it in Palstar web page and here in eham.

Thank you Palstar for giving us such a great products