Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Rohn Help

Reviews Summary for Rohn
Rohn Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Communications towers

You can write your own review of the Rohn.

KE5JA Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2015 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Rohn 45G  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This review is for my Rohn 45G. The 45G is well constructed and a very good tower, but due to it's size and weight, not so easy for this ham to work with.

I have had three or four Rohn 25G towers over the years and have not had problems with them. I found them very rugged and easy to install. So while I am not an expert by any means, I do have experience erecting and disassembling Rohn 25G towers.

For my antenna installation in Bahrain, I decided to go with the 45G. When handling the tower, I found it to be significantly larger, heavier, and harder to work with (more than I was expecting). Several of us were unable to finish erecting the tower with a Rohn gin pole, as we just had too much difficulty getting the section we were adding to line up perfectly with the section we were mounting it to. I finally gave up and later hired a crane. However, the first time with the crane was wasted money as we still could not position the section we were adding perfectly vertical so that it would fit into the existing section. I ended up having to hire a contractor to piece it together on the ground and then erect it with a crane.

So while it is an excellent tower, I caution others who are used to successfully working with 25G that the 45G is much more difficult to work with. Of course it is a great tower now that it is finally erected.
W3NA Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased 48" in mid 1970's. Now (2012), in use continually since 1970's, it is still going strong and with no tower rust! Bracketed to the house at 30 feet, supports 4 element tri-bander. I will replace the nuts and bolts soon, but the tower is great.
KT4EP Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2011 20:38 Send this review to a friend
ROHN 25 up since 1993  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 4 sections of ROHN 25 plus the top section and most of a 5th section, which is buried in a yard of concrete, then another 18 inches into the ground on a bed of drainage rock. My tower was used when I bought it, don't know how old it was then. I have had zero problems with it. NO rust. I used good quality stainless steel nuts and bolts and they were just hand tightened when I put the tower up. We've had several severe windstorms in the Memphis area since 1993 and the tower is standing tall and proud with no guy lines except it is attached to my house by a heavy bracket located about 20 feet up. Nothing heavy on the tower, though, but I believe it could take what ever I put on it, within reason. Good product.
K4TIN Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2010 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rohn 20 tower was erected at my aunt's house in 1965 to hold up a TV rotor and antenna.
I was shocked, upondismantling it last week (August, 2010) to see that it is quite serviceable--only a hint of rust.
Rotor also works!
K9KEN Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2008 22:22 Send this review to a friend
ROHN 25G EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a rohn 25g up for 15 years! I had a Mosley TA 33M a ham iv rotor and a Coment CX 333 on The tower! HELD UP IN 60 MILE AND HR WIND gusts! Great tower sorry I took it down! Put a a US Tower MA 40 and same set up for antennas and rotor ! I hope it holds up as long ! By the way the 40 feet of rohn was free standing with a home brew crank up base and a ten ft reinforcement on the first ten foot section! Great system but the reinforcement rusted out!
KC9MLL Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2008 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Durable, But has it's limits  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have taken down several Rohn 25G towers.
I am also in the process of putting one up.
I am going up 60' with a 10' Mast. and guying it twice. When dealing with USED Rohn, make sure you MARK the tower sections as to what order they go together. Time, and Bolt Compression ovals the legs, making them only fit onto the section it was originally hooked to.
If properly refurbished, Rohn Tower will last a good long time!
N2QQF Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Strong but heavy  Time owned: more than 12 months
There isn't much more to say other than the towers are cheap, strong but they do weigh more than the newer aluminum towers. Certainly cheap and easily available on the used market. The only issue with weight is if it is not going to be fixed and you plan to put a tilt plate it could be an issue but one you can work around. Well worth the money for a cheap a reliable tower.
N4MWY Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2007 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Rohn towers are cost effective and durable  Time owned: months

I have two Rohn 25G towers. They are well build, cost effective, strong and relatively easy to assemble.

WA4ISZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Strong and Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 70 foot Rohn 25G tower for 41 years now, and it has been at three different locations. I first bought it in 1965. I believe each middle section was $18.95 at the time. After I graduated from college and got married, I dismantled it and moved it to our first house. After about two years, we bought another house. Therefore, I dismantled the tower again and moved it to the present house, where it has been for the last 32 years. I must say that the tower has held up extremely well. Although it probably didn't really need it, I painted it several years ago. The Rohn 25G tower (and I suspect all Rohn towers) would be hard to beat for strength and longevity!

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2006 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tower for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I erected two 40 foot 25G towers in 1978. They are free standing with VHF/UHF antennas on one and HF/UHF antennas on the other one. I am using hy-gain rotors. I have not had a problem with either towers or the rotors in all these years. I did have one occasion where the antenna mast bent over (45 degrees) due to wind but no damage to the tower or antennas. We do not have ice storms here nor do we get high winds (60+ mph)so neither is a problem. The towers are mounted in concrete 36 inches in the ground. The holes were dug with an air hammer since the ground is solid limestone rock. Great base for antennas but bad for ground rods and vegetation! The Rohn 25G is an excellent tower for the price.