Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Rohn Help

Reviews Summary for Rohn
Rohn Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Communications towers
More info: http://www.rohnnet.com/CommPro/Towers/Towers.htm

You can write your own review of the Rohn.

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2006 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tower for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I erected two 40 foot 25G towers in 1978. They are free standing with VHF/UHF antennas on one and HF/UHF antennas on the other one. I am using hy-gain rotors. I have not had a problem with either towers or the rotors in all these years. I did have one occasion where the antenna mast bent over (45 degrees) due to wind but no damage to the tower or antennas. We do not have ice storms here nor do we get high winds (60+ mph)so neither is a problem. The towers are mounted in concrete 36 inches in the ground. The holes were dug with an air hammer since the ground is solid limestone rock. Great base for antennas but bad for ground rods and vegetation! The Rohn 25G is an excellent tower for the price.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2005 19:39 Send this review to a friend
As good as it gets  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had many 20G and 25G towers during my ham career. At first, (being afraid of heights), I had buddies put them up and take them down. I move a lot, ha ha....

Since I always live out in the boonies, it got to be a pain asking for help, so I learned how to do my own maintenance, etc. Safety first!!

I disagree with a previous poster about greasing the joints and using SS fastners. I use SS on all the street rods and race cars I build. Yes, they will gall (if not installed properly). However, QUALITY SS fastners such as sold by ARP, are Aerospace quality and MUCH stronger than hardware store junk and even Chrome Moly.
Go to their website and learn a little. And yes, I am a Certified Mig / Tig welder and weld a lot of Aluminun and SS.
I don't use SS bolts on my towers, I prefer the Rohn galv. hardware. Much cheaper. However, I would trust ARP bolts with my life as I do in my own race car / street rod.
As far as greasing the joints....dude, the tower is in compression! Unless the ground is going to drop out from under the tower or you are trying to get away WITHOUT guy wires, it doesn't matter....

ron

N4UE

N5NPO Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2005 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Great tower! Nuff said!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have installed, taken down, climbed and owned rohn 25g tower for years... Tough, weather resistant... Is there a better tower anywhere for the money??? I doubt it... Buy, install and use with confidence...

W9CJX Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2005 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Rohn SCL tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
All of the previous reviews were for guyed towers. I have a Rohn SCL 80 ft. self-supporting tower. It shipped completely disassembled and took me 6 weeks to assemble during evenings & weekends. Fastening the rebar to the base section was a challenge. Used a backhoe to move the base w/rebar attached into the hole. Used 15 cu. yds. of concrete in the base. Using a Tailtwister rotator on a shelf & thrust bearing for TA-33 & VHF/UHF beams. Tower was lifted by a crane and bolted up in just over an hour. Step bolts are an option and necessary for climbing. Local dealer sold me a 80' tower when I was looking for a 60'. He said I would have to pay freight so I took the 80' tower for about the same $$. Legs are galv. steel channel and braces are galv. steel tubing. Bolts are all galvanized. Excellent quality.

WS7P Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2005 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi, I own the Rohn 25,45,and 65 towers. I really have faith in my towers and I know when I wake in the morning(after terrible storms), they will be standing. I inspect my towers monthly for damage and maintenance is seldom required. I see many Rohn towers up in the country side when I go on drives and I know the people that own most of them, are no longer using them. The towers stand faithfully. Many of the towers have not received any maintenance for over 30 years and they continue to do the job the were designed to do. Rohn towers can be purchased for a good price. My only warning is beware of tower parts that have been involved in a crash(fall). It is hard to tell if the tower has been compromised and damage may be invisible to the eye. I own several crank-up towers from different manufacturers and they are rated as medium to heavy duty towers. Those towers do not compare to the Rohn towers I own as they are not as strong as the Rohn product as I once had a crank-up tower fold over. Good luck selecting the tower for your needs. Rohn has a good website and their manuals provide adequate information on how to install the tower. They have always been helpful when I spoke with them on the telephone.

W4USM Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2002 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a Rohn 25G 40 footer for about three years now. Got it for $0.00. A guy just wanted it taken down. I took it down. Don't know how long it had been up, but was in excellent condition. Added two new sections. The used tower sections and the new fit together with ease. No complaints here. Great product.

N8YV Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2002 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Rohn Best Steel Made!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use Rohn towers (2 of them), each on 25G hinged bases and anchored in underground concrete cubes.
Both towers use 20G tapered top sections, lighter and nearly as strong as the 25G, but less costly. These top sections mate perfectly with the 25G straight sections I use.

I am unable to guy my towers, due to the limitations of my property, but each tower is secured to the structure of my home with steel brackets---a better system than guying, and far less hassle. Through strong winter winds and summertime thunderstorm downbursts, these towers have held steady as mountains!

More than two years after being raised, my older tower looks as shiny and new as its twin, which was just erected six months ago! These towers last longer and look better than nearly any other brand, after 20-30 years of service.

The only thing stronger pound-for-pound, is aluminum tower, but I am not sure it "wears" with age as well as Rohn. Sure costs a bundle, too.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2002 01:41 Send this review to a friend
A BEST BUY  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Rohn"G" for guyed series of towers (25G, 45G, 55G) are a "best buy" for amateur radio use. When installed according to Rohn's specs, They will handle most any type of weather. You can get much "better" quality towers (commercial solid leg) towers, but also much higher price. You can also find cheaper towers, And that is just what you will get "cheap" Best tower value around is the guyed Rohn "G" series! These towers will also "free-stand" with no guy wires for "short" towers, But do need to be properly guyed for anything over 50' or so

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2002 22:35 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second Rohn tower, I got 7 sections used in mint condx for 45 dollars a stick, and a 5' cut piece for a base for 15 bucks, I added a 22" top section (BPL25G) and MAN what a difference! The tower is the BEST money you'll spend (other than the antenna money)in this hobby. My first tower, a 90' Rohn 25 withstood 90mph winds from Hugo in the late 1980's. You just can't beat Rohn.

W3NA Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2001 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Reliable tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Rohn 25G tower is 25 years old and has been used at two locations. I replaced the origional hardware with ss bolts and nuts when it was moved to my current QTH. Four 10' sections and the 8' top section bracketed to a house gable at top of the 3 rd section. No guying used with a Cushcraft A-4 Triband yagi. No rust, no problems. I did coat the sections where they overlap and are bolted together with automotive wheel bearing grease before assembly. This made disassembly easy.