Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | W2ENY Premium Headset Help

Reviews Summary for W2ENY Premium Headset
Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $50.00
Description: PREMIUM Two Ear HEADSET
has Noise Canceling Boom Mic

by Bob W2ENY

You can write your own review of the W2ENY Premium Headset.

KE7WRJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2009 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Would never use again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered one of these for a 75 day DX trip to Korea, got it in, tested it really quick at the home QTH, where the antennas are a couple of hundred feet away and then packed it up. Got to Korea, got set up to operate out of my hotel room, and nothing but RF leaking back into the radio, through the headset cable. Fought with it a couple of days and had no luck. I ordered a Heil Traveler Pro, through the Flex radio guys, got it in, and plug it into the radio and no issues at all. After being in Korea for a while I got a chance to get down to the Yongsan Electronic Market, and found the same Frisby FHP-100 head set in a computer store for $8.00 US. The only thing that is W2ENY about this thing are the adapter cables. Did I ask for a refund, Nope, with baggage weight being an issue, I just tossed them into the trash can, but only after i cut the mic cord and found no shielding at all, There isn't even any insulation covering either of the wires, One of the wires is coated with some enamel coating like you see on magnet wire and that's it. Cheapest Headphone or Mic I've ever seen.

VK2UAL Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2009 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality & Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very happy with the quality of the headset. I am using it with my FT1000MP and have been getting excellent reports. Using the Headset I have been able to get a Rag Chew and a DX set Up on the FT1000MP and am very happy with both. I have also been keen to see how far I can push the headset RF power wise as I have had issues ( ie rf feedback ) with more expensive headsets. I have had no problems on all bands and modes from 160m - 70cm running up to 100 watts. I am running a G5RV fed with 300Ohm ribbon cable that is terminated in a MFJ tuner unit in the shack. I do not own an amp but up to 100 watts it has been rock solid. I would recommend these headsets no problems at all. 73z Richard VK2UAL

WB8WSS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2009 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using an MD-100 with my FT-920 and decided to try a W2ENY headset w/foot switch so I could operate hands free. I have had several contacts and received several audio reports and they were all good. One of the contacts was an audio engineer and he reported very natural sounding audio. He went on at some length explaining why it sounded so good with comments on the highs and lows. I have tried it with and without the speech processor and always get the same response that it sounds very natural without any processing.

I am very pleased with the headset. It is comfortable and a good value for the money. I ordered on Thursday and received on Saturday. Excellent service...

VE3YZR Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2009 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: months
For $ 50 you get a lot; it works well; connectors are well packaged and for the correct radio: install and run in 30 seconds -or less.

Some of you may be after the 'ultimate'; I've tried the Heil Pro and always I get better audio reports with this one instead. "Natural, well rounded audio" are the unsolicited reports.

I've used both headsets at contest stations as recent as last winter.
This one is slightly more susceptible to ambient noise on the mic and the headphones, but a JOY to wear all day without the "headphone" head feel.

After exclusive use on an Orion + Titan on VOX, I am ordering the manual switch.

Yes, it is a FHP 100 Frisby, but the connectors + headphones are well worth 50 bucks.

For the rest of you, stop complaining and support your US fellow that is putting out a good aggregate of products / parts and service.

From Canada I can say that this product is more than $ 50 worth and I am very satisfied.

No, it is not a Heil Pro comparison, nor is a Ducatti Superbike with a Harley

W8VVG Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2009 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Thanks BOB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
W2ENY headsets

I got a headset from W2ENY for my TS 930s and it didn't work. After several emails to Bob is was determined that my TS 930s did not put voltage out on pin 5. Bob then made a custom adapter (battery powered) for the rig and it works great. I wish to Thank Bob for his help and extra work to make the adapter work for my rig. W2ENY is a real credit to Ham radio.. I have a headset for my TS 830s also and never had a problem with it. Good work BOB and Tnx

KA2OVK Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2009 09:51 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this for a little over 6 months and it's been great! Comfortable to wear and great audio report both US and DX stations. This is a great alternative to other 'commercial' setups for less than half the price. Thanks W2ENY for offering an affordable solution for the regular person.

K6SBA Rating: 2/5 Feb 24, 2009 20:27 Send this review to a friend
I can't recommend....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sorry Bob, you are a responsible seller with excellent customer service, but this is really a poor product, regardless of the price. Mine are labelled as Logitech units; I can't believe Logitech is having any success with the PC gaming community marketing this inferior product.

The earphones are adequate, but that's where it ends. The boom for the mic is too short and cannot be adjusted to get it closer to your mouth. I have to crank up the mic gain and processor level to get any output from the electret element. As a result the produced audio is tinny at best.

There is also a quality control problem with the connectors. Th 1/8" earthphone plug makes intermittant contact with the 1/4" adapter. No worth the postage to send back.

This headset is going in the trash to be replaced with the highly superior Yamaha CM500 ($39.95 from Musicians' Friend).

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

WR4G Rating: 2/5 Feb 24, 2009 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this headset along with the footswitch. The earphones sounded good but did not fit all that well. I received several reports that the microphone sounded tinny. After about 10 times using the footswitch it quit working. I give it a 2 because Bob did take it back and gave me a refund. But then I was still out $20.00 for all the shipping. Why do we have to pay for bad products??

K7CF Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2009 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Good Set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the headset on an Orion I and it works great. Plenty of audio pickup and need to turn it down as to make too sensitive. I like it, very light weight compared to Heil. Dropped it on the floor a few times and held together good. Think it is a good buy for the price.