Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | W2ENY Premium Headset Help

Reviews Summary for W2ENY Premium Headset
Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $50.00
Description: PREMIUM Two Ear HEADSET
has Noise Canceling Boom Mic

by Bob W2ENY

You can write your own review of the W2ENY Premium Headset.

KA2OVK Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2010 12:47 Send this review to a friend
WONDERFUL VALUE!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Using on the original 756 and 746 - neither is the PRO model, K5YY is incorrect. Very good sound and reports. Especially for the $$$ and what is shown in his pictures - I got what I ordered and that counts for something these days! Keep it up Bob, it's good to have an alternative to the celebrity guy!
W4DSN Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2010 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried several mid-price range headsets, but was not satisfied with any of them. Either they sounded bad or felt bad. I read the reviews of W2ENYs headsets and decided to give it a try. All I can say is, great!

They feel good, and sound good both on this end and the other. I have two adapters, one for my TS940 and one for my FT897D. The headset works good for both. I can wear it for extended intervals without issues. Bob, W2ENY is also a very good guy to deal with.
K5YY Rating: 2/5 Dec 27, 2009 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Not good for pre PRO Icoms  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For some reason my review of a couple of months ago has been deleted but others with a 1 or 2 rating remain. In short, these headsets will NOT work with the pre-PRO earlier Icoms like my 746 and 781 because the element output is too low to drive the mike input stages of the earlier Icoms in the 781 and plain 746 era. This unit acts like the HC4 and HC5 low output elements that Bob Heil admits are NOT very good for earlier Icoms. But, ENY says it works for both vintages... It did not work on my 781 and 746 or my friend's 781 who also tried it.
And, the construction is flimsy, with intermittant 1/4" headphone connection to the rig and an intermittant connection with the PTT line adapter unit.. Like the prior review, it was not worth my sending it back and paying postage. I gave it to a new SWL locally but feel it will not last due to poor construction in Japan or Korea or wherever...

KE7WRJ Rating: 1/5 Dec 27, 2009 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Would never use again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered one of these for a 75 day DX trip to Korea, got it in, tested it really quick at the home QTH, where the antennas are a couple of hundred feet away and then packed it up. Got to Korea, got set up to operate out of my hotel room, and nothing but RF leaking back into the radio, through the headset cable. Fought with it a couple of days and had no luck. I ordered a Heil Traveler Pro, through the Flex radio guys, got it in, and plug it into the radio and no issues at all. After being in Korea for a while I got a chance to get down to the Yongsan Electronic Market, and found the same Frisby FHP-100 head set in a computer store for $8.00 US. The only thing that is W2ENY about this thing are the adapter cables. Did I ask for a refund, Nope, with baggage weight being an issue, I just tossed them into the trash can, but only after i cut the mic cord and found no shielding at all, There isn't even any insulation covering either of the wires, One of the wires is coated with some enamel coating like you see on magnet wire and that's it. Cheapest Headphone or Mic I've ever seen.
VK2UAL Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2009 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality & Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very happy with the quality of the headset. I am using it with my FT1000MP and have been getting excellent reports. Using the Headset I have been able to get a Rag Chew and a DX set Up on the FT1000MP and am very happy with both. I have also been keen to see how far I can push the headset RF power wise as I have had issues ( ie rf feedback ) with more expensive headsets. I have had no problems on all bands and modes from 160m - 70cm running up to 100 watts. I am running a G5RV fed with 300Ohm ribbon cable that is terminated in a MFJ tuner unit in the shack. I do not own an amp but up to 100 watts it has been rock solid. I would recommend these headsets no problems at all. 73z Richard VK2UAL
WB8WSS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2009 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using an MD-100 with my FT-920 and decided to try a W2ENY headset w/foot switch so I could operate hands free. I have had several contacts and received several audio reports and they were all good. One of the contacts was an audio engineer and he reported very natural sounding audio. He went on at some length explaining why it sounded so good with comments on the highs and lows. I have tried it with and without the speech processor and always get the same response that it sounds very natural without any processing.

I am very pleased with the headset. It is comfortable and a good value for the money. I ordered on Thursday and received on Saturday. Excellent service...
VE3YZR Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2009 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: months
For $ 50 you get a lot; it works well; connectors are well packaged and for the correct radio: install and run in 30 seconds -or less.

Some of you may be after the 'ultimate'; I've tried the Heil Pro and always I get better audio reports with this one instead. "Natural, well rounded audio" are the unsolicited reports.

I've used both headsets at contest stations as recent as last winter.
This one is slightly more susceptible to ambient noise on the mic and the headphones, but a JOY to wear all day without the "headphone" head feel.

After exclusive use on an Orion + Titan on VOX, I am ordering the manual switch.

Yes, it is a FHP 100 Frisby, but the connectors + headphones are well worth 50 bucks.

For the rest of you, stop complaining and support your US fellow that is putting out a good aggregate of products / parts and service.

From Canada I can say that this product is more than $ 50 worth and I am very satisfied.

No, it is not a Heil Pro comparison, nor is a Ducatti Superbike with a Harley
W8VVG Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2009 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Thanks BOB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
W2ENY headsets

I got a headset from W2ENY for my TS 930s and it didn't work. After several emails to Bob is was determined that my TS 930s did not put voltage out on pin 5. Bob then made a custom adapter (battery powered) for the rig and it works great. I wish to Thank Bob for his help and extra work to make the adapter work for my rig. W2ENY is a real credit to Ham radio.. I have a headset for my TS 830s also and never had a problem with it. Good work BOB and Tnx
KA2OVK Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2009 09:51 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this for a little over 6 months and it's been great! Comfortable to wear and great audio report both US and DX stations. This is a great alternative to other 'commercial' setups for less than half the price. Thanks W2ENY for offering an affordable solution for the regular person.
K6SBA Rating: 2/5 Feb 24, 2009 20:27 Send this review to a friend
I can't recommend....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sorry Bob, you are a responsible seller with excellent customer service, but this is really a poor product, regardless of the price. Mine are labelled as Logitech units; I can't believe Logitech is having any success with the PC gaming community marketing this inferior product.

The earphones are adequate, but that's where it ends. The boom for the mic is too short and cannot be adjusted to get it closer to your mouth. I have to crank up the mic gain and processor level to get any output from the electret element. As a result the produced audio is tinny at best.

There is also a quality control problem with the connectors. Th 1/8" earthphone plug makes intermittant contact with the 1/4" adapter. No worth the postage to send back.

This headset is going in the trash to be replaced with the highly superior Yamaha CM500 ($39.95 from Musicians' Friend).

73 de K6SBA