Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Airlink Express Help

Reviews Summary for Airlink Express
Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Digital mode software
More info: http://www.airlinkexpress.org

You can write your own review of the Airlink Express.

GM1SXX Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent alternative to Digipan  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a fairly recent convert to Airlink Express, having used it for a couple of months.
It reminds me greatly of Digipan, but without all those annoying and inevitable program crashes.

In the last two days, I've thrashed this software hard and it has never let me down. It does a great job of work with no fuss. I haven't managed to break it yet.

What I really like is the multi-QSO receive screen and the fact that it slots into PSKREPORTER so painlessly. It's quite simple to set up and anyone used to Digipan would probably take to it quickly. I like the fact that a lot of configuration and 'look & feel' can be 'tweaked' by the user.

It has some nice bells & whistles but for me, it does what Digipan did for me, only better and much more reliably. I normally run QRP power levels to a simple DIY vertical, and with my low power setup, I get good results with this software.

It's a simple fact that no software will ever suit everyone. If there's anything I don't particularly like, it's the appearange of the waterfall display. Still, thats a *very* minor niggle. I'm bound not to like 'something' after all :-)

Like all digital mode software, it pays to read the online notes.

Airlink Express uses the excellent MMVari DSP Engine written by Makoto Mori, JE3HHT.

If you have never tried Airlink Express, give it a whirl. Alex KR1ST who developed it will be happy to accept a tip from you if you like it. I sent mine by Paypal earlier.

73 AL GM1SXX

K3NOQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2011 18:06 Send this review to a friend
BRAVO ! Digital HF newbie, Win 7  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am new to the HF digital modes. I downloaded and tried many different programs based on Eham reviews. This Airlink Express program is excellent, has a quick learning curve once you download and start to play with it. I use windows 7 32bit on a homebrew desktop dual core 2.3ghz. AMD 4400 computer. The program downloaded, installed and took right off for me. Could not be happier. I have tried the other programs with my Signalink USB as I got more familiar with the modes, but I keep coming back to Airlink Express. BRAVO ALEX!

AF5FH Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Easy to setup, works well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This software came on a CD with my sound card interface (Rascal II). It is very easy to setup. I like the call sign lookup that tells me where the person I am hearing is located. The bandpass filters have been a real help on 40 and 30 meters. The logging is easy to use. Multichannel display works well (like Digipan). I have looked at fldigi and WinWarbler, and I find the interface for Airlink Express is more intuitive and easier to use.

K7AAT Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2010 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Beyond the call of duty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rate this program a 6 at least. I have used it for over a year, it being my PSK31 program of choice .... but several months ago when I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 from XP, I could not get AirLink Express to work. I tried everything, then got in contact with Alex, the author. He worked hard with me but could not get it to work for me either. I finally gave up and switched to FLDigi... my second choice. But, I found out Alex had not given up. He contacted me a few months later and started to work with me again. The email back and forth was extensive, but his persistence paid off. Turned out my computer had an odd Fax Modem in it that was causing a conflict with the AirLink Express driver. He re-wrote some code for a new version of AirLink Express, sent it to me, and that corrected the problem.

There are damn few program writers that take the time and persistence to do what Alex did to sort this problem out and I am eternally grateful.

VE1VOX Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2010 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Started with other software but my netbook kept losing the com port with my interface. Loaded Airlink Express and all the problems were solved. Lots of intuitive features, easy to use, and the callsign grab is great. Give it a try I think you will like it.

G1GIL Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2009 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Does what it says on the tin  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
.. well it may be a basic piece of software but over this weekends JARTS rtty contest it has shown just why the DSP engine of Mako's s/ware is still streets ahead of the field .FSK so simple to configure no extra downloads (com fsk) some real good features that other s/ware is lacking,you can jazz up the basic gui by changing background/font colours. Although not a piece of contest s/w it does have a second toolbar that is just fine for contests.Multi decode even rtty,lots of user filters inbuilt call lookup.AirLink has a lot to offer and is well worth the download,Ive been beta testing nearly 3 years on pehaps the best piece of s/w (free)on the market today and without doubt the best gui, but if you want to play radio instead of playing with the pc,then I found AirLink Express ... easy to set up, simple, fast, good decode, and no hang ups, it deserves more than just a second look ..

73s

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2009 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Average digital program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently discovered the AirLink Express digital software program and gave it a try. I found it to be extremely intuitive; very easy to setup without the help files. Setup is very similar to Digipan.
The program looks nice and clean when running, and has the usual features found in most digital programs.
It also has a few nifty features such as callsign grab, three programmable passband filters (great feature), 3 selectable playback times, and online callsign lookup. I do wish it offered the option for a CD look up such as the RAC CD. Although the online lookup works fine, I normally don't operate with the internet running.
How a digital operator rates Airlink will depend on the extent of features they require. Airlink does have a few areas of needed improvement, the most notable being the lack of "exotic modes" such as Olivia, MT-63, Throb, etc. It only has PSK, RTTY, and MFSK. One may argue that 95% of digital operation is on PSK now, with RTTY second, and most of the exotic modes are rarely, if ever, used anymore. But like I said, it depends on the needs of the digital op. There is no way AirLink can compete with either MultiPSK or HRD+DM780 in a side-by-side comparison of features. But then again, AirLink does not have the confusing and distracting look of the other programs. AirLink reminds me of MixW; it has all the info you need on simple but attractive main screen.
Overall, AirLink is a very nice general purpose digital program that ranks along the lines of Digipan and Hamscope. I'm sure AirLink will continue to evolve into an ever better program, give it a try and see what you think.

G0GQK Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2009 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using Digipan for many years, this as many users know is an excellent PSK software, ideal for those starting to use digital modes.Recently I downloaded Airlink Express, and this new digital software is an improved version of Digipan. The operating page is well designed, very attractive and very easy to use. It has a satisfactory logbook, and has a number of interesting features, one is a call "grabber".
Try it yourself I think you'll be pleased that you did, Alex KR1ST, has produced an excellent software for PSK users.