Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | HENRY SS-750 (solid state series) Help

Reviews Summary for HENRY SS-750 (solid state series)
HENRY SS-750 (solid state series) Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,250
Description: 1.8-30 MHz solid state amp 750+ watts out, 13.8 VDC. Remote head (optional)
More info: http://www.henryradio.com/

You can write your own review of the HENRY SS-750 (solid state series).

AD4PF Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2016 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Grate Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Henry SS-750 with remote up front and amp in trunk.Run it with a IC-7000 and HI-Q 4 does a great job. Had my about 4 years. Hard to find. If you can find one get it.BULIT like a Tank. Can hear me mobile on sometimes on 7.205.00 Billy AD4PF

KC2MIB Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2008 20:10 Send this review to a friend
M1A1 OF MOBILE AMPS.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I HAVE BEEN RUNNING THIS AMP IN MY MOBILE FOR ABOUT 9MTHS NOW. I'M RUNNING IT WITH A ACCUVOLT FR1500 SUPPLY AT 15V/100AMP, THE ANTENNA IS THE TARHEEL M40 AND THE EXCITER IS THE ICOM IC 706MIIG. FOR THE FOLKS THAT WRITE ABOUT THIS AMP BEING ANTIQUATED, I GUESS OLD FASHION BRUTE BUILT PRODUCTS TURNS OFF BUTTON PUSHING APPLIANCE OPERATORS. MAKE SURE ALL THE POWER AND GROUND WIRES ARE TIGHTENED PROPERLY. WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED(grounding/bonding) AND IS COUPLED WITH A SOLID ANTENNA, YOU'LL HAVE A BASE STATION ON WHEELS, TRUST ME. THIS THING DOES AN EASY 1KW ON 20M, 40M AND 75M. I RUN IT WITH 70W IN AND GET AN EASY 800W ON 40M, SAME INPUT YIELDS 1KW ON 20M. THIS AMP IS THE LAST OF THE MOHEGAN FOR MOBILE AMPS. IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO GET ON OF THESE AMPS DON'T HESITATE, YOU'LL WANT TO KICK YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T. FOR ME THERE IS NO EQUAL IN MOBILE AMPS.

s/f
KC2MIB

KC5TJT Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2008 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Henry Enough said!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well like the rest.. BUILT TO LAST!! This is one nice solid state amp. 10 - 160m.. 800 - 1100 watts output.. IM RUNNING IT AT THE HOME SHACK ON A 100 AMP POWER SUPPLY. From the heatsink to the buttons to the power connections its just top quality parts. The optional remote control unit is just as the amp.. JUST MADE TO LAST!! If you re looking for a solid state 12 volt amp.. AND you can get one.. You had better get this one.. I would like to have another one..

PA3DUV Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2005 03:32 Send this review to a friend
Big heavy solid amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After 4 years mobile with my SG500 amp I wanted to improve my signal on 80 meter. I purchased a HiQ 5-80 centerloaded vertical and the last Henry SS-750 from Ted Henry. Too bad that this amplifier isn't manufactured anymore.
The amplifier delivers a stiff 1100 watt on 80 and 40 meters, on 20 and up the power output drops to 650 watt, I guess due to a bit unbalanced frequency compensation network.

Mechanically AND electrically the amplifier is very rugged build. The splitter and combiner networks are equipped with unbalance resistors which enables the amp to remain working in case of a defect in one of the modules.

I use the SS750 with the remote control unit mounted on the dashboard, while the amplifier is in the trunk. As previous reviewers wrote: the design of your DC power supply is very important to in order use SS750 to its full extend. Also pay attention to your antenna system. Flimsy toys like the ATAS and other whimpy screwdriver antennas will burn to pieces with the output power of the SS750.

My HiQ 5-80 is keeping up good the SS750. During recent long haul QSO with ZL2BSJ in the 40 meter band over the long path (approx 21 000 km) the Henry SS750 in combination with the HiQ 5-80 showed its capabilities with 5-9 signal reports and armchair copy both ways.

I did not give a 5 to the SS750 because the amplifier needs some minor refineries.

+ and - DC terminals could be improved
No high SWR protection (circuit breaker takes care of that, a bit primitive)
Frequency compensated gain could be improved.

Besides these minor points I am very pleased with the SS750 an plan to use it for the years to come.

73, Dick Knol
PA3DUV
www.qsl.net/pa3duv

KD5JBN Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2005 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellant SS Mobile Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The one I have in my Mercedes it puts out 1100 on 160 and 600 on 10 meters.I have owned an SS-750 for 6 months and it has been flawless. The only problem I had was the voltage drop using 16 feet of #4 from the engine compartment to the trunk area. I called Dan Magro at www.radiodan.com, he advised placing another battery next to the amp to compensate for the drop in voltage, also my Benz only has a 95 amp alternator which the Henry would lug. The new battery in place and DX pile-ups began. No one could believe I was HF mobile. Sounded as good as the Big-Guns on 40 Meters. I agree that If you think quality is worth paying for, you won’t be sorry you bought this amp.

N7ZY Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2005 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Well worth what paid for  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the SS-750 for 2 years and it has been flawless. If you think quality is worth paying for, you won’t be sorry you bought this amp. I have used it in both mobile and base configurations. You will want to watch your input as you will easily exceed the rated output on the lower bands into a well matched antenna. I use it mostly for SSB on 40 meters is easily puts out 750 watts. The protection circuits in the SS-750 work well, I think I have accidentally tested all of them a few times.

In summary, you can buy a cheaper amp than a Henry, and that is just what you will have. There is a reason some amps are readily available and you have to wait for others. You won’t ever see this amp for sale, every time I power it up I am glad chose it.

W4GNS Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2004 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The amp was built and delivered as promised (2 weeks)Getting good reports with the amp .Installed in an 18 wheeler and installed a battery within 2 feet of amp.Getting 600 watts 20-10 and 1000 on 40/80 meters.Amp is built solid

VK2NW Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2002 03:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Henry SS750 in 2001 and I am amazed at the abuse it has taken. Installed in an 18 wheeler it ran up and down the highway for almost 12 months running flat out thru a screwdriver antenna and it never missed a beat.

Since returning to Australia I now use it in the shck with a BIG power supply and it still works terrific. I am always told audio is perfect and after all, is this not what you are after?

Great amplifier, will not replace it.
Gary
VK2NW (KD5NHL)

WA4RYW Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2002 01:00 Send this review to a friend
A great mobile amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I'm sorry to see that there are folks out there that is dissatisfied with their SS-750. As for me, I've had mine since early 1998 (purchased through W7RF), and yeah, it took a while to get it out the door, but once I got it, I love it! On 80 meters, this amp cranks over 950 watts into a cantenna measured with a Bird 43, and 80 meters (and 40 meters!) is where it's really needed to overcome antenna ineffeciencies. I DID find that the power fell off to about 650 watts on 20 meters, and a call to Henry direct suggested that I needed a solid 13.8 volts. I was dropping down to 12.5 volts through 4/0 guage wire at 87 amps, but since the loss was less than 3db, I didn't pursue it further. This amp has made the mobile experience fantastic on all bands, and I don't believe I could do without it after getting used to it. This thing has bounced around in the back of my Expedition for over three years, and it still cooks as it did the day I got it. I would like to get another one for the pickup!

K6ACJ Rating: 3/5 Feb 17, 2002 03:27 Send this review to a friend
Why?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The SGC500 Power Cube is rated for 500 watts output with less than 50 watts drive, up to 15 VDC, is fully automatic and doesn't rattle after 2-1/2 years of service. If you are in a hurry, it can be on your door step in 1 day. Mine is powered by a 105 amp Sears marine battery and an always on 5 amp 3 stage home made non switching battery charger.

For the same price, solid construction, a small difference in power output, why go through the delays and documented problems....