Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Klein RocketScience Blu-Comm Wireless Bluetooth Headset & PTT Help

Reviews Summary for Klein RocketScience Blu-Comm Wireless Bluetooth Headset & PTT
Klein RocketScience Blu-Comm Wireless Bluetooth Headset & PTT Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$150
Description: Wireless microphone, earphone, AND PTT. Just plug the correct model into the matching radio, and you have an instant hands free kit with a little wireless clip on PTT button.
More info: http://www.blucomm.com/

You can write your own review of the Klein RocketScience Blu-Comm Wireless Bluetooth Headset & PTT.

KC7YCL Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2009 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Storage and transport  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I forgot to mention one important tip in my previous review:

I went to a local thrift store and bought a hard case for glasses for about 50 cents. I store the dongle, PTT, and headset snugly in the case for syorage and transport. Without the glasses case, I worried about accidentally smashing the boom on the microphone, or losing one of the parts of the system.

The earpiece is especially fragile because it's so lightweight, and I'm certain it'd get destroyed the first time I shoved it in my pocket. But, when everything is stored in the glasses case, I could literally step on it and not damage anything.

Now, I feel comfortable taking my awesome, but expensive wireless headset with me everywhere I go. It's REALLY hard to fumble with a radio, my bus pass, AND try to hold on to something while a bus is bumping down the road, but with this headset, I'm hamming anytime, or all the time.

At home I can leave my handheld in a good signal spot up on the top floor of my apartment while I wander around through all the dead spots, or even go outside to check my mail, or visit my neighbors while I wait for a friend to call me on the radio.

I really can't put into words how nice and free it feels to be able to put my handheld radio anywhere I want, plug it into an external antenna, power supply, and amplifier, while actually being MORE free and unencumbered than if I were just toting my handheld around with me.

My advice to anyone who likes portable or handheld radios, you MUST get this accessory!

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I use the Pro-Earpiece 4-051 Series Single Wire Earpiece with PTT from 409shop as a backup since it's so small and tough, and only costs about $17 including shipping.

KC7YCL Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2009 21:02 Send this review to a friend
The best there is currently  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had some time to evaluate my Blutooth Blu-Comm unit with the K1 Kenwood connector. I use it with my Kenwood TH-F6A when I'm in city slicker mode, and I don't want to look like a gadget freak with wires tangled everywhere.

It's also handy for hiking when your hands are busy and you radio is strapped to the top of your pack for a better signal. Unfortunately, VOX does not work with this, even if your radio has it built in, like mine does.

It does the job pretty well, but not quite perfectly. In short, the headset works exactly as advertised, and it's worth every penny to be free from excessive wires. I can tuck my radio into a bag, and even with a large antenna, no one will notice it hidden in the bag.

I'm giving this awesome accessory a top rating simply because there's no major annoyances, and it's the only thing on the market right now that also has a wireless PTT! YES, a wireless PTT!

At first I was worried the wireless PTT would have a cheap clip and fall off, but it's alligator strong. You could easily do all kinds of crazy sports with it clipped to your sleeve, and it won't fall off unless your arm does too. The earpiece needs to be secured somehow if you want it to keep up with the PTT clip though. For my use, everything works great.

If you don't have Kenwood radio, this will still work for you because the K1 connector is just a common 2.5mm and 3.5mm connectors side by side. That means it's maybe a 10 minute job to make an adapter for any radio you want to use the headset with. The PTT will work too.

When you realize that you could easily use this with ALL of your radios, $150 starts to seem cheaper and cheaper. It'd be a lot of money for just one handheld. I might wire mine up for use with my cheap midland FRS radios. Oh, and you can use it with your bluetooth cellphone too.

That was the kicker for me. I wanted a bluetooth headset for my phone, so I just bought this one so I could use it with my radios too. Actually, you can use any bluetooth headset with this system too. I like it the way it is, but at first I was thinking I'd try using a Jawbone noise free headset to spare the local repeater listeners all the downtown traffic noise. I decided it works well enough with the boom that I don't need the Jawbone earpiece.

By the way, the boom is removable if you want to use the earpiece without it. I like it, but if I were super fashion conscious, I could take it off and blend in better.

Here's a few gripes and suggestions for improvement:

* I think the unit halts the transport of microphone audio after a period of silence to conserve power. If that function could be disabled, a radio's built in VOX could work with the headset.

* It's very difficult to tell if the devices are on, off, or linking, since the only feedback is a vague series of blinking lights. This makes it difficult to use in an emergency. A basic on/off slide switch would solve 2/3rds of the problem.

* The device generates it's own noise in the form of irritating hiss and pops that are loud enough to mask a weak signal.

* The audio of the earpiece is way too low in comparison to the painfully loud beeps when adjusting the volume or turning the earpiece on or off. I have to take it off to adjust it to avoid damaging my hearing.

* The charger is 4.8 volts. Does this mean the units could be charged from a 5 volt USB computer port? With the modular charger connector already supplied with the package, it seems it would be trivial to plug in a USB adapter so that it can charge from any USB port.

* Built in batteries mean the device is useless while it's charging, if the batteries are the sole source of power. It would be nice of I could at least plug them into a portable charger that can allow the unit to be used while charging. This is another good reason to put a USB connector on the charging cord. I could use any common iPod or cell phone charging device that's on the market to power and charge my Blu-Comm device.

* Another alternative power solution is to sacrifice lower operating time for lower charging time. 5 hours of talk time would be reduced to perhaps 1 hour of talk time if the device were powered by super capacitors. This otherwise unacceptable flaw becomes a very nice feature because the charge time - time that the device is useless - is reduced from hours, down to seconds. It changes the situation from "game over" to "hold on one second while I zap my cap".

* Using a super capacitor to power the device eliminates battery life cycle and repair issues, since they can handle a minimum of hundreds of thousands of charges, and it also presents the possibility that the audio output of the radio could be turned up a bit, and then rectified to power the dongle portion of the system as long as the radio has power. Maybe there's a way the entire system could obtain a charge by putting radio audio energy into storage capacitors?

* It's a bit hard to make out when I'm using the device in a noisy environment. I think it's due to the combination of high noise of the system itself, "plain" earpiece fitting, and lower bluetooth audio fidelity. I'm not sure how well the person I'm speaking to can hear me, but the boom microphone helps.