Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond SRH-940 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SRH-940
Diamond SRH-940 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: The Diamond SRH-940 is a tri-band HT antenna for 6 meters, 2 meters and
430 MHz. It is 18 inches (45 cm) tall and weighs 2 ounces (44 g). This flexible
antenna is black. This 50 ohm antenna can handle up to 10 watts.

The SRH940 is a 1/4 wave on 6 and 2 meters and a 1/2 wave on 430 MHz.
This antenna terminates to a 50 ohm SMA. It is also optimized for receive on
AM, FM, Air band, 150, 300, 450 and 900 MHz for receiving only.
More info: http://www.diamondantenna.net/

You can write your own review of the Diamond SRH-940.

M1CXF Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2015 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna performs well but is a bit of a menace because of its length ( my regular antenna is a much shorter srh805s). I only got this as the srh805s doesn't work 50MHz.
Is it a good performer? I made my first ever satellite contact with it the other week. Very brief but still a contact.

KE5KLC Rating: 1/5 Jan 14, 2014 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Does not perform as well as the factory rubber duckie  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've played around with this for half a year on my VX-8DR and the original rubber duckie can reach my preferred receivers reasonably on 2M and minimally on 70cm. The SRH-940 can't reach them on either. I haven't tested much on 6M so I can't speak to the performance there. The build quality is excellent, but the performance is very disappointing.

K6DEA Rating: 2/5 Aug 5, 2012 21:34 Send this review to a friend
sorta worthless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll give it a 2 out of 5 only because the quality is good. i recently acquired a Yaesu VX-7r. Did some Test's and here are the results:

The antennas:

Rat tail installed:
Diamond SRH320A = 9 + s unit
Diamond SRH940 = 5 s unit
Rubber duck = 7 s unit

All tested with 5 watts on simplex bands, 2m 70cm and 6m. I am aware that with an HT close to your Dome "head", There is a substantial amount of loss what 19- DB?.. that's probably incorrect but there is a big loss in gain with an HT and no external microphone or counterpoise.

All antenna's in this test were new with no known problems.

Off the record tests shown with HT not in hand when PTT is pressed SWR is 2.X and above, with HT in hand keyed SWR is 1.X above never passed 2.0 except on the band edges (real world we don't talk there so it is not necessary to test).

Please take this info into small bits, i am no professional just personal test with a few hams with proven results.

KA1YBS Rating: 3/5 Jul 25, 2012 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Good, but not for heavy use  Time owned: more than 12 months
So, this antenna has it all. 6m, 2m, 70cm.

Don't expect to travel with the antenna though. Carry on bag, luggage (unless carefully wrapped) and backpacks are a no-no...

Basically, if you use your HT in remote, rugged terrain, and expect the antenna to survive the trip, you may be disapointed...

I've broke TWO of these in two years! Each time, the 6m loading coil was the culprit, it just can't withstand force or bending like the rest of the antenna...

If you can protect the whip, this is a fine-business piece of kit... if you accidentally jar the coil the wrong way... you better have a backup whip, like the excellent Diamond SRH77CA

I miss AM broadcast RX without the 940, even if it was marginal at best on my VX-8. I never did use 6m on the HT so I don't know what I'm missing... (not to say I never tried CQing on the 6m AM calling freq a million times from a hilltop...)

I don't miss a broken antenna every year...

G0FTD Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2011 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Handheld DX'ers choice.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this to replace the ugly piece of crap
that came supplied with my VX7R.

Perfect choice. It now makes 6m worthwhile on the
handheld and offers useful improvement by 1-2 s-
points on 2/70.

I actually use it on my push bike mobile system.

The handheld is mounted on the handlebars plus
speaker mic.

I've had a lot of fun using 6m mobile with this
rubber duck, and have chats on 6m AM with a
friend about 5 miles away on my VX7R in a very
built up area.

The top of the rubber duck seems to have a lump
of ferrite plus loading coil, so it makes the
rubber duck a little top heavy.

Overall a well made antenna and worth having as
the ultimate practical handheld antenna.

PE1RLN Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2011 23:29 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for 6m surplus !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna works great on military equipment on 6m. Most surplus radios have a BNC connection so this antenna is easily connected with an adaptor.

In Europe most surplus activity is heard on 50.400 MHz and the vSWR of this antenna is way below 1:1,5 so no complaints here. Another Diamond antenna with BNC connector (don't know the exact type) is worse, beyond 1:3.

The antenna is about 45cm long, not too much and shorter than most surplus antennas. A shorter antenna would be less effective so I think this is a good compromise.

The only thing that might be a problem is the heavy topload. It makes the antenna a bit unbalanced so it moves more than you would like. But for me it's no problem at all.

I never tested the antenna on 2m or 70cm as it wasn't my purpose to use it on that type of equipment. For those bands there are very good antennas and this one was designed for 6m, 2m and 70cm which I can believe it does well. So check for yourself.

For those who are looking for a good 6m antenna for surplus, the Diamond SRH-940 is your friend.

M0MGH Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2010 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this for my IC E90. Works slightly better than a MRW210 at 70cm, but worse at 2m. This is better than the stock antenna, however, but see below. Did some SWR measurements on the 940 with the MFJ269 and found that at 51.510 the SWR is quite high (>5) but ok at around 51.0. The supplied antenna for 6m for the IC E90 works best at the region 1 FM area. So depending on exactly where in the 6m band you intend to operate you need to watch this because unlike at 70 cm the 940 isn't very wideband on 6m. Overall, though, a good antenna.

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2009 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Makes a difference  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also to have a Yaesu VX-8/R H/H and I use APRS so I wanted to maximize to input signal to the digi repeater on 2m (145.175MHz Australian APRS frequency) And it makes a small improvement so that fine by me because that could bethe difference between missing a packet. On 70cm its good and as for 6m I can hear the difference just hitting the local repeater. So basically its a better antenna that the stock antenna.
I could rave on about this and say this and say that but its works for me, so I'm happy....

73..Karl
VK7HDX.....Base
VK7HDX-9...RV
VK7HDX-7...Motorbike

KI6WBX Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2009 01:38 Send this review to a friend
Better than the stock dummy load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Yaesu VX-8 HT with wideband receive. With a repeater that is 20 miles away from me, the stock antenna, with or without the extension, does an S2 (on S1-S9 signal strength scale) on 145.230mhz. With the SRH-940, a signal strength test with that repeater gets a consistent S3. Not a huge improvement, but enough to take me from snap-crackle-pop to being easily copied. I also get more of my APRS packets through on 144.390 (digipeater in same location as the voice repeater). So this isn't a magic antenna by any means -- hooking the HT up to my mobile antenna in the car, for example, and I get a consistent S4 because my car antenna is a half-wavelength antenna on 2m -- but it's still a significant improvement.

One rating taken off because while the antenna claims to be broadband receive, it really isn't. I cannot get WWV on any of its frequencies, for example, or any shortwave reception, ever. So the claim of wideband receive is dubious at best. But then, it's no worse than the stock antenna either, which is similarly useless below the 6m band...