Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 118 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A “no questions asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.k4kio.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

W4PR Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Far better than I expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First, I should tell you I was very skeptical about a hex beam generally. What talked me into it was when I was sitting in the bleachers at Dayton. I was talking to my friend about the K4KIO hex beam, some other brands of hex beams and a log periodic. I was really disappointed in how flimsy the DX Engineering hex beam looked.

The two guys in front of me turned around and they told me they both had one of your hex beams. Twenty minutes later I was sold.

You were a great help holding my hand all the way through purchasing. I greatly appreciated it.

A friend and I took 2 hours to assemble the antenna (not as smart as your daughters!). We tested it on the ground and I got it up in the air in early August. It is exactly at 34 feet... 4 feet above the roof line of my house.

I was amazed how narrow the beam width was and how it nulled the sides. The gain over my G5RV, even facing the same direction, is remarkable.

The proof is in the pudding. Pile ups are no problem. I am running a small linear (500 watts) but I never had results like this before.

Two weeks ago I found a pile up for Tokelau Island. I called on the stations frequency, and a very loud station told me it was split. So I did the 5 kc split and called the station. I got him the first time with 5 and 9, great signal.

But the best part was the station that told me to split, transmitted on the frequency I was listening on and said: "W4PR you **&%&$#& we could all work him if we ran 5 kilowatts to a ten element beam.

It was great to work the rare island, but the jealousy was priceless!

WA9WFA Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2014 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Super Easy to Assemble, Well Made, Quality Construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The K4KIO Hex Beam reviews here on eham.com helped me decide on getting this antenna. Thanks to the folks who took the time to share their experience and opinion. I want to provide feedback as well that may help others in their decision. I've only had this antenna up for 3 days so obviously I'm not going to be commenting on performance at this time. I'd rather focus on construction and installation of the antenna while it's still fresh in my mind. If I waited a year before reviewing, I'd have forgotten alot of details.

The K4KIO wasn't the most expensive nor the least expensive hex antenna. I feel the price is appropriate for the quality of the materials used, fiberglass tubing instead of PVC, and the fact that all of the tubing hoseclamp P-clips are pre-loaded in the correct location, all the U-bolts for the fiberglass arms are pre-loaded on the base plate, and the antenna driven elements and reflector elements are prewired and ready to use. It's as pre-built as an antenna can be.

The K4KIO beam went together exactly like the construction manual said, no construction issues, no ambiguity. Smooth. All of the hoseclamp P-clips are pre-measured and attached at the proper spots so you literally just slide the tubing together until it stops sliding, attach the dacron tip supports, and thread the wires through the P-clips. I must move in slow motion because it took me a couple hours to build it although I did enjoy taking my time and savoring the build. Leo has the construction manual on-line so you can read it and understand the construction before you build.

Leo also includes useful information on-line for mounting the mast to the antenna mast coupling. While I bought the smaller sized coupling base plate, I ended up buying the 1.9" thick wall aluminum mast that Leo references. Man that mast was nice and I didn't need any rotor shims. I used Leo's documention to build the adapter between the coupler and the 1.9" OD mast using the plumbing nipple. It was easy to assemble and only cost a few bucks in parts.

I was grateful for Leo including a few extra parts. He included two extra of those stainless steel cap nuts and washers. He must have anticipated "me". I couldn't believe it when I accidentally lost two of them in the tall grass due to a dumb mistake on my part. I had the parts sitting on the baseplate, forgot about them, then moved the antenna a few more feet away from the deck, parts slid off and disappeared in the grass. I grabbed those spare parts and finished up the antenna. Ditto on the spare tie wraps. I needed them also.

Two things I wanted to point out for others. Be aware that the coax feedline hole in the base plate is too small to pass the optional balun kit through. It'll easily pass the PL-259 but the ferrite bead stack is too wide. It wasn't a problem. I chose to drag the entire length of coax up on the roof and pass the shack end of the coax through the hole and pull it through. I could have just as easily routed the coax over the edge of the base plate. The other thing I noticed was that when installing the optional snow/ice supports, there wasn't enough room on the eyebolt for all 6 tubing tip supports plus 6 ice supports so I had to double up on a few. No problem, just an observation.

When you go to attach the wires to the center support, right up front plan on having to loosen the 1 and 6 support hose clamp P-clips and sliding them a few inches inward so the ring terminals on the ends of the wires will easily fit over the screws. Once the terminals are secured, gently slide each hose clamp assy back until the wires are loose. I emphasize "loose", not sagging, not taught. Too tight and the antenna wires will be under tension. You want them to be 'untensioned' with a little sag.

When I went to assemble the beam, I was horrified to discover that three of the six small fiberglass tubing assemblies were missing. Here the box has been under the desk for a year and I never knew of the missing parts. I emailed Leo an SOS right away on Saturday morning to buy the three pieces and I was surprised to get a response from him less than 2 hours later, a brief apology, and a promise to send out the missing parts on the following Monday. He did and I had them by the end of the day Wednesday. Wow what more can you say about superior customer service?? I was expecting to have to pay for the missing pieces since I had bought the antenna over a year ago but Leo said no problem.

When attaching the wires to the center support, the manual says use a pliers to hold the hex nut in place while tightening the cap nuts. Believe it. I didn't have any problems but I did notice that the nut will indeed turn if you don't use a pliers to hold the nut firm while securing the capnut.

So in summary I am very pleased (!!) with the quality of materials and the ease of construction of the K4KIO hex beam. It was nice opening a pre-built beam when I think back to 1968 when I opened a Hygain TH3JR and looked at all the bags full of loose screws, nuts, washers, clamps, etc.... I'll report back next Spring after the brutal Minnesota snow and ice season.

AA2JE Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for the Buck  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the Hex beam almost a year ago, and man let me tell you this antenna is awesome. I get the best reports... What ever I hear I can work it with no problems. Europe booms into my FT-950 10++ signals all the time. Asia the same, few months back worked a station in Japan with a signal report of 20 over 9 with 400 watts, with just a 100w 15 over 9. I never did get reports like that with the Mosley 53. Good job Mr. Leo!

W4PGM Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2014 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this for our new QTH and used it at 8', 25' and now 40' in various stages of house construction. The antenna is great. Well made, easy to assemble, lightweight and it works. Most of the time I do not run and amp with the antenna it performs so well. Loe has great support and builds a great product.

WA9JOQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Completely Satisfied!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like most purchasers I did quite a bit of research on this antenna and hoped that what I read was, in fact, accurate. Well am happy to report that the claims about easy assembly, low swr and great performance are all true. After upgrading from a G5RV it was great to get routine complimentary reports from dx stations about signal strength. Mounted mine about 25 feet up on a Glen Martin mini tower on the peak of my sun room with the help of my son. It performs flawlessly...would recommend to all! 73

KJ2U Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna value ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After having fun with WAS and working a few common DX entities with a multi-band vertical and a G5RV I decided to get an antenna with some gain. The K4KIO hexbeam had these great reviews and the price was right for antenna and a modest mount (push up mast). Within a couple of months I had DXCC and now (18 months later) I am up to 164 DXCC mostly barefoot and working only an occasional weekend and evening. I have had two "accidents" in raising my hexbeam and both looked like catastrophes. Bent a push-up mast but the hexbeam bounced. A few dollars to replace a couple of arm segments and I was back up. I'm a living testimony that this antenna is pretty much "idiot proof." Top notch communications and service too!

XW1B Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2014 23:31 Send this review to a friend
Quite a find !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Many reviews, and all perfect scores! There's a reason! Recently rx'd my 5 band HEX Beam from Leo and it took a whopping 90 mins to put it together and have it in the air. Excellent instructions, everything labeled well, excellent communications, and professional quality components. Who could ask for more.
I live 1 block from the ocean in "Typhoon Alley" so I needed an antenna that would provide good results but be small/light enough for 1 person to take down when the storms hit. The HEX fills the bill in all regards. Quiet, good gain, very happy with on-air results thus far. Another review in a few months when I've played more.
Great antenna - very good experience dealing with Leo and his staff.

Bruce 3W3B Da Nang, Vietnam

N5WRX Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2014 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a multi-band antenna to place up on my tower that is between my house and the next door neighbors.
The small footprint of the hexbeam made this a logical choice.
I ordered the 20 - 15 - 10 - and 6 meter bands and got it all up this morning.
It works great.
Very quiet as compared to my A4S beam at the other end of the house where I have more room.
As a bonus it is resonant on 2 meters as well.
Dont know why but it is.
Dont tell K4KIO or they will what to charge for an extra band! ... LOL.
Dont be afraid to try one of these antennas ... it would be an easy project to repair any failed parts many years down the coax.
I give it a 5 because of its ease of assembly, high quality parts, and its great performance.

VE8AP Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2014 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Been an awesome antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 2nd review of this antenna and I moved from Yellowknife to Northern Alberta for awhile it was so easy to take the antenna down and transport it to my new QTH I almost want to take it camping with me great portable antenna I bet.
I can go on and on about this antenna 100mph winds we had in Feb not a problem in the least. I won't say I won't buy another antenna I am sure most ham's are like me always wanting the latest and greatest or just a change keep them Playing. Take care care all and K4KIO great antenna hands down deserves to be at or near the top.

WB9KPT Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2014 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna and Company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very pleased with this antenna. I can easily make contacts, and often break through pileups on the first or second try - running barefoot with my IC-7600. The antenna was simple to assemble with no missing parts. I ordered the larger base, and the hardest part was drilling the hole to prevent twisting on the mast. The SWR was as advertised - with no tuner required on any bands. Very fast response from Leo with any questions.

Count me as another satisfied customer. You can see the install on my QRZ page.