Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 115 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A “no questions asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.hex-beam.com/

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

W4PGM Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2014 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this for our new QTH and used it at 8', 25' and now 40' in various stages of house construction. The antenna is great. Well made, easy to assemble, lightweight and it works. Most of the time I do not run and amp with the antenna it performs so well. Loe has great support and builds a great product.

WA9JOQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Completely Satisfied!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like most purchasers I did quite a bit of research on this antenna and hoped that what I read was, in fact, accurate. Well am happy to report that the claims about easy assembly, low swr and great performance are all true. After upgrading from a G5RV it was great to get routine complimentary reports from dx stations about signal strength. Mounted mine about 25 feet up on a Glen Martin mini tower on the peak of my sun room with the help of my son. It performs flawlessly...would recommend to all! 73

KJ2U Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2014 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna value ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After having fun with WAS and working a few common DX entities with a multi-band vertical and a G5RV I decided to get an antenna with some gain. The K4KIO hexbeam had these great reviews and the price was right for antenna and a modest mount (push up mast). Within a couple of months I had DXCC and now (18 months later) I am up to 164 DXCC mostly barefoot and working only an occasional weekend and evening. I have had two "accidents" in raising my hexbeam and both looked like catastrophes. Bent a push-up mast but the hexbeam bounced. A few dollars to replace a couple of arm segments and I was back up. I'm a living testimony that this antenna is pretty much "idiot proof." Top notch communications and service too!

XW1B Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2014 23:31 Send this review to a friend
Quite a find !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Many reviews, and all perfect scores! There's a reason! Recently rx'd my 5 band HEX Beam from Leo and it took a whopping 90 mins to put it together and have it in the air. Excellent instructions, everything labeled well, excellent communications, and professional quality components. Who could ask for more.
I live 1 block from the ocean in "Typhoon Alley" so I needed an antenna that would provide good results but be small/light enough for 1 person to take down when the storms hit. The HEX fills the bill in all regards. Quiet, good gain, very happy with on-air results thus far. Another review in a few months when I've played more.
Great antenna - very good experience dealing with Leo and his staff.

Bruce 3W3B Da Nang, Vietnam

N5WRX Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2014 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a multi-band antenna to place up on my tower that is between my house and the next door neighbors.
The small footprint of the hexbeam made this a logical choice.
I ordered the 20 - 15 - 10 - and 6 meter bands and got it all up this morning.
It works great.
Very quiet as compared to my A4S beam at the other end of the house where I have more room.
As a bonus it is resonant on 2 meters as well.
Dont know why but it is.
Dont tell K4KIO or they will what to charge for an extra band! ... LOL.
Dont be afraid to try one of these antennas ... it would be an easy project to repair any failed parts many years down the coax.
I give it a 5 because of its ease of assembly, high quality parts, and its great performance.

VE8AP Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2014 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Been an awesome antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 2nd review of this antenna and I moved from Yellowknife to Northern Alberta for awhile it was so easy to take the antenna down and transport it to my new QTH I almost want to take it camping with me great portable antenna I bet.
I can go on and on about this antenna 100mph winds we had in Feb not a problem in the least. I won't say I won't buy another antenna I am sure most ham's are like me always wanting the latest and greatest or just a change keep them Playing. Take care care all and K4KIO great antenna hands down deserves to be at or near the top.

WB9KPT Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2014 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna and Company  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very pleased with this antenna. I can easily make contacts, and often break through pileups on the first or second try - running barefoot with my IC-7600. The antenna was simple to assemble with no missing parts. I ordered the larger base, and the hardest part was drilling the hole to prevent twisting on the mast. The SWR was as advertised - with no tuner required on any bands. Very fast response from Leo with any questions.

Count me as another satisfied customer. You can see the install on my QRZ page.

N7LVS Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very, very , easy antenna to build. It is very well engineered and thought out. I put it together in about an hour. I mounted it 30 feet off the ground, on top of my RV barn, by myself. It is light but very hard to manage by yourself. I highly recommend two people.

All bands are used without an antenna tuner and works very well. I am constantly amazed what this antenna will pickup. I am new to HF so I don't have anything to compare it to but I don't see how you can go wrong with this antenna.

W2RMS Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Awesome antenna and service!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first directional antenna so i have nothing to compare it to. Ordered it few months ago. It was sitting in the boxes until around March of 2014. Assembled it first in the back yard. Using Glen Martin 4.5 foot roof tower and a 5 foot mast. So around 10 feet off the ground. Tested it with my MFJ-269 and it was mostly below 1.4:1 on all six bands! Took it apart, painted the spreaders with olive "military" color paint for UV protection as well as "blend-in" factor. Put the roof tower on my roof (3-story semi, about 30 feet up). So the antenna is now around 40 feet off the ground. Assembled it again on the roof (around 40 minutes with a friend of mine). SWR may have changed a bit on some of the bands but it is still below 1.6:1 everywhere and 1:1 on few bands. I have a picture on my QRZ page if anyone is interested.
Due to the painting of the spreaders the antenna is completely invisible at night. I actually thought that it was stolen the first night after final assembly because i looked up and it wasn't there. I'm using it with the Elecraft K-Line. Before i bought the KPA500 i was running with just a K3/100 and usually the first question from a DX station was: what amp are you using?
In the wind it seems to just sit there. I have a 10m vertical aluminum antenna 18 feet away from the HexBeam and its painful to watch it in the moderate winds.
I'm using am older CDE HAM IV rotator which i upgraded with an ERC board for RS232 capability. Controlling it with HRD is simply awesome. Point and click. It sure is an overkill for this very light antenna but i already had the rotator.
Service from Leo is unbelievable! I've gotten e-mail replies from him on a Saturday, 5-10 minutes after i sent it!
All in all its an amazing package, especially for someone with real estate restrictions.

KA4MAY Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 05:51 Send this review to a friend
Complete Satisfaction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 5-band Hexbeam with the 6-meter option in May of 2014. I chose this product for the following reasons: 1) I live on a lot with large trees that do not have enough clearance for larger antennas, and 2) It represented the best value for the gain, front to back ratio, and bands provided for the dollars spent.

When the unit arrived, I was impressed with the care that the components were packaged and organized. I took my time with the assembly, which was very easy due to the quality of the instructions.

I placed the hexbeam on my 14-foot "test pole" and was pleased with the SWR curves on all bands from 20 through 6 meters. On-air testing and comparisons with my Butternut vertical within minutes demonstrated that while the gain of this antenna is not overpowering, on reception, rejection of signals from unwanted directions is outstanding. Even at this low height, DX from many areas of the world previously inaccessible to me have been easily placed into my logbook.

The only caution I can pass on to potential buyers is that if you are using a non-standard mast size, as I have, a little ingenuity will be necessary to securely mount this antenna.

Support via e-mail has been outstanding, all my questions before and after purchase have been quickly and thoroughly answered.

I am very happy with this product and enthusiatically recommend it to other amateurs with space limitations.

Mark, KA4MAY