Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 110 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A “no questions asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.hex-beam.com/

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

KD8VUU Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2013 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I'll provide a copy of a portion of the email I sent K4KIO regarding their antenna.

Leo,

This is Leo Lake (Jerry) from West By Gosh Virginia. I bought your hexagonal beam a few weeks ago and would like to give you a report.

When we talked on the telephone, I hadn't taken my Ham test. On November 1 I passed the Technican and General Exams and am currently studying to take the Extra Class exam. My call sign is KD8VUU.

We installed the antenna on November 2. We strapped it to the chimney at about 25 feet. As soon as we plugged it in my Elmer rang up New York on the first attempt.

I went active in the FCC Database and began operating on November 6th. I am running a Yaesu FT-950 barefoot with 100 watts and an MD-100 Desk Microphone.

I think the results have been phenomenal. We have worked Texas, Oregon, Calgary Alberta, Colorado, Washington, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Oklahoma, British Columbia, Guyana, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Netherlands, Romania, Latvia, Isle of Man British Islands, Anguilla, and the Azores.

Feel free to use any of my comments or pictures for promoting your product.

The second night we had the antenna up, a 50 MPH sustained wind came through. The antenna weathered the storm in fine fashion.

I talked with a guy today in Kansas who is thinking about a hex beam. I told him to give you a call.

I hope to hear you on the radio someday. Thanks for building a great product. I'm going to install a 40/80 Meter dipole in the next week or two.

Leo G. (Jerry) Lake
KD8VUU

Leo Shoemaker responded within about 12 hours. I am greatly impressed by not only the results, but the ease of assembly and the excellent instructions provided.

Since sending the email, I also had QSOs with Arkansas, Minnesota, England, Russia, Germany, Estonia, Nova Scotia, and St. Lucia.

Being new to the hobby, I really don't have anything to compare it to, but I can't imagine any better results with anything else that falls within my budget.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one for your shack.

73.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been working DX I could never hear before. Base of beam is 49'. 1.2:1 on all 6 bands. No tuning needed, plug and play! Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said in these reviews. If your thinking Hex Beam, this is the BEST!

NC6U Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I raised my new k4kio Hex beam on Saturday. Assembly could not have been simpler. Low SWR, small, and a good quality build! Outstanding customer service follows along with it. On the air the Hex Beam is outstanding. A Yaesu G-450 rotor atop a Rohn H-30 mast up 25 feet works well.
Thanks to Leo for a well made easy to assemble Hex Beam Antenna. He did must of the work for us.

Ron nc6u

W6ORZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When we moved from California to Pennsylvania in 1982 I didn't move my 3 element tri-band beam - the PA home was not suitable for the crank-up mast I had in CA. About a year ago I started looking for a directional antenna that I could mount on the roof of the house. I found one that fit my needs and my budget. However, I couldn't get the manufacturer to respond to my questions. Then I ran across the hex beam and found Leo, K4KIO. He answers the phone when you call. He patiently answers all your questions. Last April I bought a 6 band hex beam (6m-20m). Leo shipped it the next day and FedEx delivered in in a couple of days - one box with the PVC tubes, one with the center feed mast and one with the wires, guy cables and the balun I ordered. The boxes sat here for several months until I could recruit some help from our radio club - my 70 year-old knees are not really up to climbing on my roof! We installed a 3 foot tripod mast with stainless steel guy wires and mounted my Yaesu G-450A rotator. It took about an hour to assemble to hex beam. The MFJ antenna analyzer showed SWR dips in all 6 bands. From the ground to the roof was a 3 step process: 2 of us on the ground and two on the deck to get it to the first stopping point. then 2 on the roof and two on the deck to get it to the second stopping point. The two on the roof moved it to the peak and lifted and set it on the rotator. The hex beam weighs less that 30 pounds but is over 20 feet in diameter. We aligned the rotator and ran the cables off the roof. The next day I ran the cables into the house to the radio. In the first 2-1/2 weeks I made 100+ QSO's in 62 countries - including India from PA on 20m long-path. Unless there's a really big pile up I find that I only have to call a couple of times to get to the DX stations. My location is not ideal - the Hex Beam is mounted on the family room roof. The house has 2 floors so due north is pointing at one of the upstairs bedrooms. But, I have a clear shot to the other 300 degrees of coverage. Based on the first couple of weeks the Hex Beam by K4KIO meets my needs. The instructions were excellent. All the parts were included. All the pieces arrived in the boxes. I'm sure 4 or 5 elements up 60 feet will out-perform me. But, I don't have the real estate, nor the budget, for that approach. I'd recommend the Hex Beam to anyone that needs a rotatable antenna. I'd recommend the Hex Beam by K4KIO for anyone who wants to buy a hex beam that only needs assembly. Tuning on this hex beam is really non-existent. There are no adjustments on the antenna. Build it, put it up in the sky, point it in the right direction, connect it to the radio and start working the world immediately.

W3HZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 55 years in amateur radio, I bought my first beam, a hex beam by K4KIO. Of all the beams, a hex beam fit well on my telescoping 42 foot tower and it gave me the best bang for the buck. Of the hex beams, I chose the K4KIO because of price, American made, and reviews. I'm pleased. The kit went together in about 2 hours with the help of two friends. The materials seem of high quality, and much of the hard work - like cutting the wires - was already done. Much thought was given to the design of the beam AND to how the kit goes together. Little niceties like wire ties to keep wire from tangling as you're stringing through the antenna. No special tools need and the instructions were easy to follow. (But if you do have a problem, Leo is only a phone call or email away). I had someone carry the beam up on the roof and drop it on the mast/rotor and do the final installation. I've only had it on the air for a weekend, but it works great - QRP to the Pacific and Eastern Europe with only 5 watts from my south Georgia QTH.

KK5EDD Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna a couple of months ago but just got it up yesterday. It was very easy to assemble and raise (I climbed a ladder while holding it to put it on the end of the mast). One of my first contacts was a QRP one watt station in Florida which I had been listening for for months. No problem with the KIO hex. Now if I can just figure out what's wrong with the Mosley I took down!

WD4DDA Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Love this antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got the complete package (all the bands) and choke. Arrived well packed, very easy to assemble. Spent a few weeks checking out the swr and testing at five feet off the ground. Had to wait for some good weather and low winds before I could get it on top of my 40 ft. tower. I have an FT-950 (100 watts) and the internal turner plays very well with this antenna. Very good signal reports, was able to contact the Greenland DX group on 17 meters this weekend, what a pile up. Had only had one question so I called and got the help I needed. Small for it's size but packs a bunch. Very well made and worth every penny I paid for this made in the USA product.
Also my small Yaesu rotor turns and holds it with no problem. I have no complaints, it's a 5 stars antenna.

WM4DE Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 15:59 Send this review to a friend
The Best Money Spent on Ham Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would first like to include a portion of an email that I sent to the President of KIO. I ordered the antenna on a Sunday, and he personally sent me an email, less than an hour later.

Leo,
First, I would like to thank you for your ‘over and above the call of duty’ attitude towards customer service. It’s not every day that I come across a company that treats its customers (and potential customers) so well. I received the Hexbeam on Wednesday, and had it in the air on Thursday morning. It was an absolute breeze to assemble. The obvious care that your company takes in sending a modular product is second to none! Your product not only lives up to the hype…It exceeds it, by leaps and bounds! My noise floor is down over 50%, and I am hearing and making contacts with stations that were never possible with my vertical and wire antennas.

Between the Flexradio 3000, that I bought a few weeks ago, and the Hexbeam, amateur radio is FUN again!! I cannot thank you and your associates enough for this fantastic piece of engineering.

Warmest regards...Will (WM4DE)

As soon as the sun came up the day after I received the shipment, I started assembling the antenna. Don't be fooled by other companies...This is a modular kit, with a 9 page install manual...Not 100's of parts and a 'War and Peace' assembly book! No cutting, drilling, measuring, etc. All of the wires were cut, as were the Dacron support cords. All of the wire guides were precisely where they needed to be. In just over an hour, I had the beam assembled, and in test position, at just over 10 feet.

30 minutes later, I had the light duty rotor I had lying around installed. I used SWR Plotter with my Flex 3000 on all bands. The highest reading was 1.3:1. After clean up and a quick shower (I live in Florida, and it was REAL hot!) I started logging DX QSO's.

After 6 days of owning this awesome antenna, I logged my furthest QSO of just over 10,300 miles. (Malaysia) Running barefoot, my signal report was 57. The moral of this review is that for just over $600.00 USD, I got the equivalent of 5 two element Yagis. Believe the hype! It is true, and then some. I give the KIO 5 Band Broadband Hexbeam my highest recommendation!

EA3FYZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2013 05:04 Send this review to a friend
The best HF multiband antenna I have ever operated  Time owned: more than 12 months
Three years ago I replaced my TH-3JRS by the K4KIO hexagonal beam. Signals on 10, 15 and 20 m were 1-2 dB lower than the TH-3JRS at the same height but with lower background noise, which allows me better SNR for DX. Overall is the best HF multiband antenna I have ever operated, and repeatedly outperforms my 42 m OCF dipole at the same height by more than 3 dB and less noise (broadside direction). These are the advantages from my point of view and more than 20 years of experience designing and testing antennas:
-Low cost
-No tuning
-Low wind load
-Efficient half-wave radiator & reflector (no traps)
-Lower noise than a dipole or Yagui
Recently my hexagonal beam was accidentally broken by a crane and it was replaced by a new 6 band from K4KIO. Indeed, Leo offers a truly plug and play product at a competitive cost. I assemble the full radiator in 3 hours, and once up (at 40 feet approx.) SWR was 1.0 on all bands except on 10 and 6 m (1.3).
Thanks Leo for this great antenna and your excellent support.
Pic at QRZ.COM de EA3FYZ

WD4DC Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2013 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna based solely on reviews that I had read here, so I felt I needed to pay it forward.

I've been running the wire antenna race since I got my HF ticket, so this was a logical step into the realm of making a real dent in my DX logbook. When I purchased the beam, I built it in a little over an hour...simple, simple, simple. I then temporarily mounted it at about 15 feet, and wow...the difference in gain when compared to my G5RV at 45 ft is amazing. It now lives at about 27 feet, and will eventually live at about 35 ft. I'm picking up stations at s9 that were previously duking it out with my noise level.

On top of the amazing product at really a bargain price (compared to other hexbeams), you'll get instructions that are easy to follow and superb follow up from Leo himself, K4KIO. In addition, his website is a lot of fun too! I modeled my installation based on one that was posted on his website. I have a 4x4" post sunk into the ground into cement, a Hy Gain rotor at the bottom of the post, a Rohn H40 push up mast, and a Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing at the top of the post. The rotor turns the whole mast and beam, no problem.

I've heard many, many guys on the air with this very antenna, and they all have great things to say. Get one...you won't be disappointed one bit!!

Dan, WD4DC