Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 147 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A “no questions asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.k4kio.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

AJ2I Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2015 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Peformance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What else can be said that already hasn't been. 5/5 an amazing antenna that has broken through countless pileups. Great performance on all bands. Flat SWR across the board. They say it's only equivalent to a 2 Element yagi, however, I've been stronger many times vs local hams 3 element trapped Yagis.

W7ZAC Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2015 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in Northeastern Nevada at 5675 feet above sea level. We get brutal winters here, with strong winds. I just installed the KIO Hexbeam two weeks ago before our first snowstorm. I also installed the ice cords. It works as advertised. I do notice that it has almost no attenuation on the backside of the beam, but I expected that since it is essentially a tuned dipole. I can work what I hear now, and I hear many new countries, especially on the JT65-HF mode. I made an excellent choice, Thanks! It is up only 40 Ft at the present time, but works great!

KK4CZT Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2015 14:27 Send this review to a friend
out standing antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best antenna I have ever had, the one thing is after three years the spreader fiberglass poles have started to de laminate and need to be replaced that just part of living in South Florida the sun is brutal on fiberglass and plastic. All in all it’s still the best antenna that I have ever had and I highly recommend it.
KK4CZT

WA5WA Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2015 15:23 Send this review to a friend
A+++Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've this antenna about 1 year and QSO more than 1000 from around the world with this antenna, and when one of the spreader broken, I called Leo and he shipped it to me without charge.
Exellent antenna and superb Customer Service from Leo

KE5JA Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2015 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first purchased this antenna for my Sakhalin Island, Russia RA/KE5JA QTH, I needed an antenna with a small turning radius and wind load. I wasn't expecting much but wow, I sure was surprised. At my Sakhalin QTH, the hex beam was mounted only 35' up but worked much better than I was expecting. It also survived the harsh winter storms and snow.

I am now living in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia and recently had the hex beam temporarily installed on the roof of my A93JA Bahrain house. And again, WOW, it worked fantastic! I made over 10,000 QSO's with it the first two months I had my A93JA license and could break any pile-up with it. It is now in the process of being installed at my Saudi Arabia 7Z1JA QTH.

The beam is very light weight, easy to assemble, excellent SWR, and had no problem surviving Siberian winters and now Middle East summers. I highly recommend this antenna and feel you will be surprised at it's performance!

N3QQN Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
20, 17 and 15 meter bands all have excellent VSWR with no tuner. It is 8 feet off of the ground and I can ragchew with my friend in Indianna from Seattle mid day with no dropout. I cannot wait to hoist it up on the push up mast.

KG4BFR Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2015 05:26 Send this review to a friend
The 2nd Best Antenna I have ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent antenna with a very good price,easy to assemble,does not take up to much space in the yard,very good quality components,the antenna is up on a Rohn 40 push up pole with 8 guy wire rope....antenna is at 30 Ft to base, no rotor,antenna is pointed do North over the Pole....Spreader Arms are getting a bit rough from the South Florida sun, I would recommend painting them if you live in a high UV zone.
It is a fantastic antenna with incredible receive...get it up in the air and enjoy.

VK3TWM Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2015 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna I've ever owned.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow! This is an awesome antenna! Only had it on the mast for about two weeks and already I'm working stations I couldn't even hear before. I love it!
Granted that I've only had it for a short time and I will write another review when it's been up for 12 months or so.
Although it is only mounted 7 metres above the ground! It has brought FT-950 to life.

This antenna is well built and represents good value for the bucks. I reckon, if you buy it! You won't be disappointed.
Thank you Leo for a fine product! I am now one happy DX'er...........

W1XYZ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2015 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Quite useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Though not a high gain antenna, the Hexbeam from K4KIO does the job on my small tower. I mainly DX on 10M, and one of the very nicest things about this antenna is that I do not have to have another parasitic 10M element anywhere near my 5 element 10M yagi. If anything, placing the hex beam above the yagi spaced by about 20' seems to work well and does not seem to interact with 10M operation. It is a great convenience to be able to switch over to 20-12M and instantly operate. I have purchased two of these antennas, the second after the first failed on erection. The clamps on the fiberglass spreaders were too tight and one of them snapped. On the second Hex I put aluminum anti-crush sleeves inside each of the spreaders at the clamp end to prevent this. K4KIO out to consider this measure. Another thing I learned was the fiberglass is very prone to UV and therefore must be painted. Yet another tweak is the compensating catenary that should be well anchored using additional hose clamps so it cannot walk up the arms and loosen. Hex number 2 has stayed in the air for a couple of years now and return loss measurements with my Agilent Fieldfox suggest some stretching of the elements and frequency shift toward the lower ends of bands. This is to be expected. I am rebuilding the failed Hex beam now and plant to mount it above the first one. This could be worthwhile, or not, but it's easy to try since the Hex is fairly light in weight and the wind load is moderate too.

K9ILL Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2015 02:18 Send this review to a friend
Non directional  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning my hex beam over 2 years, I'm well pleased and get great signal reports. My hex does NOT seem to be very directional. I live in the St Louis,MO area and I leave my beam pointed S/E most of the time and I still hear Canada and the N/E as well as I hear the S/E.
I guess that could be a good thing sometimes. I DO love the beam though. It's light weight, works well with a TV rotator and has withstood 70 mph winds and ice storms here in the Midwest and costs HALF the price of a Mike Traffy Hex beam.