Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 108 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A “no questions asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.hex-beam.com/

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

W6ORZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When we moved from California to Pennsylvania in 1982 I didn't move my 3 element tri-band beam - the PA home was not suitable for the crank-up mast I had in CA. About a year ago I started looking for a directional antenna that I could mount on the roof of the house. I found one that fit my needs and my budget. However, I couldn't get the manufacturer to respond to my questions. Then I ran across the hex beam and found Leo, K4KIO. He answers the phone when you call. He patiently answers all your questions. Last April I bought a 6 band hex beam (6m-20m). Leo shipped it the next day and FedEx delivered in in a couple of days - one box with the PVC tubes, one with the center feed mast and one with the wires, guy cables and the balun I ordered. The boxes sat here for several months until I could recruit some help from our radio club - my 70 year-old knees are not really up to climbing on my roof! We installed a 3 foot tripod mast with stainless steel guy wires and mounted my Yaesu G-450A rotator. It took about an hour to assemble to hex beam. The MFJ antenna analyzer showed SWR dips in all 6 bands. From the ground to the roof was a 3 step process: 2 of us on the ground and two on the deck to get it to the first stopping point. then 2 on the roof and two on the deck to get it to the second stopping point. The two on the roof moved it to the peak and lifted and set it on the rotator. The hex beam weighs less that 30 pounds but is over 20 feet in diameter. We aligned the rotator and ran the cables off the roof. The next day I ran the cables into the house to the radio. In the first 2-1/2 weeks I made 100+ QSO's in 62 countries - including India from PA on 20m long-path. Unless there's a really big pile up I find that I only have to call a couple of times to get to the DX stations. My location is not ideal - the Hex Beam is mounted on the family room roof. The house has 2 floors so due north is pointing at one of the upstairs bedrooms. But, I have a clear shot to the other 300 degrees of coverage. Based on the first couple of weeks the Hex Beam by K4KIO meets my needs. The instructions were excellent. All the parts were included. All the pieces arrived in the boxes. I'm sure 4 or 5 elements up 60 feet will out-perform me. But, I don't have the real estate, nor the budget, for that approach. I'd recommend the Hex Beam to anyone that needs a rotatable antenna. I'd recommend the Hex Beam by K4KIO for anyone who wants to buy a hex beam that only needs assembly. Tuning on this hex beam is really non-existent. There are no adjustments on the antenna. Build it, put it up in the sky, point it in the right direction, connect it to the radio and start working the world immediately.

W3HZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 55 years in amateur radio, I bought my first beam, a hex beam by K4KIO. Of all the beams, a hex beam fit well on my telescoping 42 foot tower and it gave me the best bang for the buck. Of the hex beams, I chose the K4KIO because of price, American made, and reviews. I'm pleased. The kit went together in about 2 hours with the help of two friends. The materials seem of high quality, and much of the hard work - like cutting the wires - was already done. Much thought was given to the design of the beam AND to how the kit goes together. Little niceties like wire ties to keep wire from tangling as you're stringing through the antenna. No special tools need and the instructions were easy to follow. (But if you do have a problem, Leo is only a phone call or email away). I had someone carry the beam up on the roof and drop it on the mast/rotor and do the final installation. I've only had it on the air for a weekend, but it works great - QRP to the Pacific and Eastern Europe with only 5 watts from my south Georgia QTH.

KK5EDD Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna a couple of months ago but just got it up yesterday. It was very easy to assemble and raise (I climbed a ladder while holding it to put it on the end of the mast). One of my first contacts was a QRP one watt station in Florida which I had been listening for for months. No problem with the KIO hex. Now if I can just figure out what's wrong with the Mosley I took down!

WD4DDA Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Love this antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got the complete package (all the bands) and choke. Arrived well packed, very easy to assemble. Spent a few weeks checking out the swr and testing at five feet off the ground. Had to wait for some good weather and low winds before I could get it on top of my 40 ft. tower. I have an FT-950 (100 watts) and the internal turner plays very well with this antenna. Very good signal reports, was able to contact the Greenland DX group on 17 meters this weekend, what a pile up. Had only had one question so I called and got the help I needed. Small for it's size but packs a bunch. Very well made and worth every penny I paid for this made in the USA product.
Also my small Yaesu rotor turns and holds it with no problem. I have no complaints, it's a 5 stars antenna.

WM4DE Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 15:59 Send this review to a friend
The Best Money Spent on Ham Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would first like to include a portion of an email that I sent to the President of KIO. I ordered the antenna on a Sunday, and he personally sent me an email, less than an hour later.

Leo,
First, I would like to thank you for your ‘over and above the call of duty’ attitude towards customer service. It’s not every day that I come across a company that treats its customers (and potential customers) so well. I received the Hexbeam on Wednesday, and had it in the air on Thursday morning. It was an absolute breeze to assemble. The obvious care that your company takes in sending a modular product is second to none! Your product not only lives up to the hype…It exceeds it, by leaps and bounds! My noise floor is down over 50%, and I am hearing and making contacts with stations that were never possible with my vertical and wire antennas.

Between the Flexradio 3000, that I bought a few weeks ago, and the Hexbeam, amateur radio is FUN again!! I cannot thank you and your associates enough for this fantastic piece of engineering.

Warmest regards...Will (WM4DE)

As soon as the sun came up the day after I received the shipment, I started assembling the antenna. Don't be fooled by other companies...This is a modular kit, with a 9 page install manual...Not 100's of parts and a 'War and Peace' assembly book! No cutting, drilling, measuring, etc. All of the wires were cut, as were the Dacron support cords. All of the wire guides were precisely where they needed to be. In just over an hour, I had the beam assembled, and in test position, at just over 10 feet.

30 minutes later, I had the light duty rotor I had lying around installed. I used SWR Plotter with my Flex 3000 on all bands. The highest reading was 1.3:1. After clean up and a quick shower (I live in Florida, and it was REAL hot!) I started logging DX QSO's.

After 6 days of owning this awesome antenna, I logged my furthest QSO of just over 10,300 miles. (Malaysia) Running barefoot, my signal report was 57. The moral of this review is that for just over $600.00 USD, I got the equivalent of 5 two element Yagis. Believe the hype! It is true, and then some. I give the KIO 5 Band Broadband Hexbeam my highest recommendation!

EA3FYZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2013 05:04 Send this review to a friend
The best HF multiband antenna I have ever operated  Time owned: more than 12 months
Three years ago I replaced my TH-3JRS by the K4KIO hexagonal beam. Signals on 10, 15 and 20 m were 1-2 dB lower than the TH-3JRS at the same height but with lower background noise, which allows me better SNR for DX. Overall is the best HF multiband antenna I have ever operated, and repeatedly outperforms my 42 m OCF dipole at the same height by more than 3 dB and less noise (broadside direction). These are the advantages from my point of view and more than 20 years of experience designing and testing antennas:
-Low cost
-No tuning
-Low wind load
-Efficient half-wave radiator & reflector (no traps)
-Lower noise than a dipole or Yagui
Recently my hexagonal beam was accidentally broken by a crane and it was replaced by a new 6 band from K4KIO. Indeed, Leo offers a truly plug and play product at a competitive cost. I assemble the full radiator in 3 hours, and once up (at 40 feet approx.) SWR was 1.0 on all bands except on 10 and 6 m (1.3).
Thanks Leo for this great antenna and your excellent support.
Pic at QRZ.COM de EA3FYZ

WD4DC Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2013 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna based solely on reviews that I had read here, so I felt I needed to pay it forward.

I've been running the wire antenna race since I got my HF ticket, so this was a logical step into the realm of making a real dent in my DX logbook. When I purchased the beam, I built it in a little over an hour...simple, simple, simple. I then temporarily mounted it at about 15 feet, and wow...the difference in gain when compared to my G5RV at 45 ft is amazing. It now lives at about 27 feet, and will eventually live at about 35 ft. I'm picking up stations at s9 that were previously duking it out with my noise level.

On top of the amazing product at really a bargain price (compared to other hexbeams), you'll get instructions that are easy to follow and superb follow up from Leo himself, K4KIO. In addition, his website is a lot of fun too! I modeled my installation based on one that was posted on his website. I have a 4x4" post sunk into the ground into cement, a Hy Gain rotor at the bottom of the post, a Rohn H40 push up mast, and a Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing at the top of the post. The rotor turns the whole mast and beam, no problem.

I've heard many, many guys on the air with this very antenna, and they all have great things to say. Get one...you won't be disappointed one bit!!

Dan, WD4DC

W3COX Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 13:03 Send this review to a friend
One Great Antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna, easy to assemble, even on a roof. Well made, all stainless steel metal parts. I've had my K4KIO hex beam up for about 4 days and I'm hearing and working stations never before heard at my location. My son-in-law, a non-ham, and I had to assemble my hex beam on the roof of my shop because of so many obstructions, srubs & trees, that would have interfered with building it on the ground and then lifting it into place. Even so, it only took 2-1/2 hours to assemble. If it were assembled on the ground, I'd venture to say it would take one hour or less to assemble. It is truly a "plug & play" antenna. It is mounted on a Rohn push-up mast approximately 35' in the air. I mounted a Yaesu G-450A rotator at the base of the mast and thrust bearing at about 10'. The whole mast turns. It has two support rings, one at 20 feet & one at 30 feet where I used UV protected dacron rope as guys. I recommend the K4KIO hex beam to anyone who is thinking about a hex beam. Also, Leo, K4KIO, is a great communicator. He answered all my questions in a very timely manner. Great antenna!!!!

W4ISH Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2013 04:05 Send this review to a friend
Easy, quick and works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
           I ordered the 5 band beam and added 6 meters to it. It is now on the end of a 7 foot piece of sched 80 Al. pipe extending from my 37 foot crank up tower, so It is about 45' in the air. The assembly was straightforward, but tedious for someone like me. I stuck a 3' piece of 1&1/5" sched 40 PVC in the ground, and set the base plate on that for construction purposes. This allowed me to "rotate" the beam as I threaded the wires through the supports.
          I constructed it one evening after 6 pm, and the sun had not set when I finished, so the time involved was a little over one hour. The next day I went out and dried it acorn nuts off (It had rained overnight) and painted liquid electrical tape over them to keep the wires from becoming corroded. (The antenna is to be permanently mounted, so I have no plans to take it back apart.) I then spent the rest of the day preparing my tower (which had been tilted over to receive the antenna).
          The tower is a tilt-over, crank up tower which has seen service for 40 years. While I had it down, I replaced the cable and winch and painted the tower aluminum, so it should give me another good 40 years and outlive me! I used my tractor with its front end loader to raise the tower up to a point where the top was about 12 feet off the ground. Then I lifted the Hexagonal Beam with my weak left arm (broken last year and in a sling for 6 months -- lost a lot of muscle in that time!) and walked it up a ladder to place it on the end of the mast. That was tricky since I had to juggle it around to keep from getting caught in other objects in the area (my garden, specifically!).
          Once it was attached, I used two tractors to lift the tower into place (one to pull it up with a rope, and the other to lift it up with the front end loader) Serendipitously, a couple of friends, also hams, stopped by at this point and helped to put the bolts in the tower base while I sloooowly adjusted the tractors.
          I was not able to attach the coax hanging from the antenna to the coax going up the tower until the next day since I also decided to revamp the grounding of the tower and the other 4 wire antennas attached to the tower. Once that was done and it started raining again (we have had over 3 inches of rain in the last week!), I went in to try out the beam. All bands seemed to have a good SWR except for 20 Meters where the SWR was right at 2:1 for part of the band. I listened on 15 meters and heard someone calling CQ so I answered him. He was in Penn. which is extremely short skip from Kentucky. I tried turning the rotor while I was listening to him, and I could not see that there was any difference in signal strength as it turned. It was then that I noticed I was talking to him on my vertical. After switching over to the Beam, the signal came up about 5-7 dB. We had a good QSO, and then a station in Germany broke in to tell me I had a good 5X5 signal there. So the three of us had a QSO since everyone was hearing everyone else (Strange conditions for 15 -- Both short and long skip!)
          It seems that the beam works well. It does not have the gain nor the F/B ratio of my previous beam, but that was expected. What I do like about it is that it works almost as well for 1/2 the cost and 1/2 the weight. And I did not have to measure and cut the wires and then try and figure out a way to mount them! Leo did all the hard work, and we have benefited from his work! Thanks!

WB8RJY Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 12:37 Send this review to a friend
first class antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembled in about two hours.checked every thing to perfection.
At 4 feet off the ground I was getting 5 by 9 reports from
All over Europe.On a 40 ft tower swr is 1.2:1 on every
Band.At least 3 s units better than a full wave 75 meter loop
Up 40 ft fed with ladder line on s7 to s9 signals.
When signals are s3 on the hex i cant hear them on the loop.
I will be working stations i could not even hear before.
Very happy with the antenna.Leo is always available to
Answer your questions.