Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 142 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 Ė 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A ďno questions askedĒ 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.k4kio.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

N3QQN Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
20, 17 and 15 meter bands all have excellent VSWR with no tuner. It is 8 feet off of the ground and I can ragchew with my friend in Indianna from Seattle mid day with no dropout. I cannot wait to hoist it up on the push up mast.

KG4BFR Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2015 05:26 Send this review to a friend
The 2nd Best Antenna I have ever owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent antenna with a very good price,easy to assemble,does not take up to much space in the yard,very good quality components,the antenna is up on a Rohn 40 push up pole with 8 guy wire rope....antenna is at 30 Ft to base, no rotor,antenna is pointed do North over the Pole....Spreader Arms are getting a bit rough from the South Florida sun, I would recommend painting them if you live in a high UV zone.
It is a fantastic antenna with incredible receive...get it up in the air and enjoy.

VK3TWM Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2015 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna I've ever owned.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow! This is an awesome antenna! Only had it on the mast for about two weeks and already I'm working stations I couldn't even hear before. I love it!
Granted that I've only had it for a short time and I will write another review when it's been up for 12 months or so.
Although it is only mounted 7 metres above the ground! It has brought FT-950 to life.

This antenna is well built and represents good value for the bucks. I reckon, if you buy it! You won't be disappointed.
Thank you Leo for a fine product! I am now one happy DX'er...........

W1XYZ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2015 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Quite useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Though not a high gain antenna, the Hexbeam from K4KIO does the job on my small tower. I mainly DX on 10M, and one of the very nicest things about this antenna is that I do not have to have another parasitic 10M element anywhere near my 5 element 10M yagi. If anything, placing the hex beam above the yagi spaced by about 20' seems to work well and does not seem to interact with 10M operation. It is a great convenience to be able to switch over to 20-12M and instantly operate. I have purchased two of these antennas, the second after the first failed on erection. The clamps on the fiberglass spreaders were too tight and one of them snapped. On the second Hex I put aluminum anti-crush sleeves inside each of the spreaders at the clamp end to prevent this. K4KIO out to consider this measure. Another thing I learned was the fiberglass is very prone to UV and therefore must be painted. Yet another tweak is the compensating catenary that should be well anchored using additional hose clamps so it cannot walk up the arms and loosen. Hex number 2 has stayed in the air for a couple of years now and return loss measurements with my Agilent Fieldfox suggest some stretching of the elements and frequency shift toward the lower ends of bands. This is to be expected. I am rebuilding the failed Hex beam now and plant to mount it above the first one. This could be worthwhile, or not, but it's easy to try since the Hex is fairly light in weight and the wind load is moderate too.

K9ILL Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2015 02:18 Send this review to a friend
Non directional  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning my hex beam over 2 years, I'm well pleased and get great signal reports. My hex does NOT seem to be very directional. I live in the St Louis,MO area and I leave my beam pointed S/E most of the time and I still hear Canada and the N/E as well as I hear the S/E.
I guess that could be a good thing sometimes. I DO love the beam though. It's light weight, works well with a TV rotator and has withstood 70 mph winds and ice storms here in the Midwest and costs HALF the price of a Mike Traffy Hex beam.

NG0Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2015 08:41 Send this review to a friend
World of Difference  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 5-band version with the ice cords, larger flange base plate and the ferrite bead choke balun. It shipped quickly.

The antenna arrived in good condition, there was some gunk on a couple of the spreaders that I removed with steel wool before painting them black.

The directions were easy to follow and I assembled it myself easily on a step ladder suspended by two saw horses in the driveway.

I was amazed by how large it looked in the driveway but to a amateur radio operator it is a work of art once it's assembled. To spouses and neighbors, not so much I suppose.

Everyone in on the project was skeptical that the SWR would be flat and low on all (5) bands until we put the analyzer on it...wow. No tuning required on 10, 12, 15, 17 or 20 meters!

The analyzer shows it will be easily tuned on 6M and 2M even although I didn't opt for that option.

I've been running with a 43' DXE MBVE-1 Vertical with an extensive radial field and a 200' doublet up 50+'...and what a difference this antenna on a 50' tower has already made...

I can hear stations that I could not hear before, and those that I could come in much stronger. I got a 59+ into UAE and last night got a 58 from China putting 500-600 Watts into this beautiful antenna. Both after only a couple tries in huge pileups.

Completely delighted by the performance so far and it looks awesome!

Bonus: I had a question when we were installing the antenna on top of the new tower and Leo answered my email on a Sunday! If that's not excellent customer service (and maybe also a little insane) I don't know what is! (Thanks Leo)

Hints and Tips:

-I painted mine black, and recommend it for UV protection but even more so for aesthetic reasons!

-Buy some extra hose clamps.

-I would probably put wire ties on the hose clamps if I had to do it over again as I'm not sure I trust them for the long haul...time will tell.

I will update this review if anything changes.

K0JKJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2015 19:25 Send this review to a friend
great but needs painting  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first Impression of the K4KIO hex beam was very favorable. Went together easily. With a second person it went up fairly easily on the roof mounted tripod, and rotor. After the ď~ threeĒ years I have had it up it needed to come down for a roof replacement. Colorado hail and 80+ mph winds are tough on roofs. The antenna handled it fine. But The night before I was going to take it down the rotor mount broke and the antenna came down. One spreader was damaged.

The only problem is the fiberglass spreader DO NOT like the high Colorado UV levels and are starting to de-laminate like the fiber glass light poles in my neighborhood. Before it goes back up it will receive a couple of coats of enamel paint. I will use leather gloves when painting and handling so as not to have anymore fiberglass stuck in my hands than handling the removal provided.

As a beam antenna it is great for what it is but I wished the spreaders were painted before assemblyto prevent the UV damage. Thus the 4 out of 5 rating.

PS I tell the neighbors that ask: It is not an antenna but a clothes line for the doves that use it for a perch to announce their search for a mate..

KC1AXJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2015 05:06 Send this review to a friend
A great value and excellent performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iím a quite new to amateur radio. I have a Kenwood TS-2000 that Iíve been running various end fed antenna for 6m to 160m applications and have been somewhat happy, but remember Iím a new person to the hobby and nothing to compare against. I had the privilege of working at W1AW for an hour a few months back and that tainted my viewpoint of reception. Iíve worked our club station with G5RVís and such and didnít see much of a difference from my end-fed designs but the beam at W1AW really sparked my interests.
I live in the center of my town; each plot is only 1/6th of an acre so I donít have much room to play with for antenna. After much investigation between designs I settled on the hex beam design as it offered the smallest footprint, lowest total cost, and good performance as reported by users. I settled on KIOís product due to the excellent pre-sales support, attractive pricing and options for additional bands and durability.
My beam is mounted with an EasyUp 31í foot pole with a Yaesu G-450A mounted at ground level. The pole is currently extended to 22 feet with three guy rings employed to stabilize the pole. I painted the spreader arms with two coats of white Rust-Oleum paint for UV protection. Installed are the option Ice cord and the 6 meter add on kit. Also installed are the ferrite cores for use as a balun.
Performance was really unbelievable compared to the end fed. I have measured the SWR on all bands (6m to 20m) and none are worse than 2:1 which is to be expected. I use my internal tuner of the Kenwood to tune the frequency so the rig only sees 1:1. The hex beam can also be used on 2m as the SWR is below 1.5:1 across the 2m band with the 6m option. I have experienced detuning when during a rain storm; example 50.175Mhz would not tune up with the Kenwood during a recent rain storm however the following day once the antenna was dry all was good. This behavior is expected and during that rain storm only the low end of 6m couldnít tune, every other band and the rest of 6m would tune. Iíve worked Svalbard, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Europe and South America and in many instances was first or second hear on a pile-up.
I will most likely be changing the guying method as I find ropes allow the mast to sway too much in heavy winds, but overall the stability seems good for the system. The mounting of the rotor, pole, and thrust bearing is very similar to some of the methods shown on the KIO gallery. I highly recommend this antenna for anyone looking to improve performance over a wire antenna or even a vertical for bands from 6m to 20m.
KC1AXJ
Look for installation photos on QRZ (soon).

W3LDR Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2015 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HF Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the K4KIO 6-20 on the air for almost a year. I rarely do reviews however I felt this is warranted. I originally had this hex on a Rohn push up with the rotor on top. The mast failed and bent in a heavy West Texas wind after a few months. I removed the beam and transferred it to a Rohn 25 Tower and the Beam sat at 34-35ft.

I have made several DX and Stateside contacts way to many to count and have always had GREAT reports. The antenna is relatively flat on its swrs on all bands and no swrs over 1.5:1 that I ever found. This antenna has very directional beam properties.

Compared to my Mosley tri-band there is very little difference I can tell except I think the Hex is quieter. Maybe its my installation.
Anyway I am a fan.....

VK3TEX Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2015 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine second hand it has the 15,20 and 6 meters and works wonderful. Installation was easy, but before that I coated with two coats of enamel paint as the elements had been a little sun damaged but once painted it's great.
I was lucky I had a rooftop to assemble it on so I didn't have to raise it and maybe drop and break it.
The difference between the wire antennas I had and the Hexbeam is like night and day...a BIG,BIG IMPROVEMENT ON RECEIVING AND TRANSMITTING!
It's a true beam antenna with good gain and excellent front to back and side characteristics.
I'm going to order the 10 meter element next and work some DX there too.
It's a great size for a smaller yard and is turned with a light duty rotator!
Great antenna and it looks fantastic in the yard!
Day after day the more I use it the more amazed I am with the strength of the DX signals...
Good job K4KIO you have a great product there!!