Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: by K4KIO Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: by K4KIO
Hexbeam: by K4KIO Reviews: 113 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $669
Description: A six band, broadband, G3TXQ- designed, hexagonal beam with performance on par with a two element Yagi but a much smaller physical footprint is fully tuned and ready to go. This is a plug and play antenna, not a kit. It can be assembled in an evening with no measurements or tuning needed. No traps or coils are required and a single coax feeds all bands. Available for Bands 20 – 6 meters in various combinations. All steel components are stainless and non metallic components are UV resistant. Mount on a push up mast or rooftop. The sturdy aircraft aluminum base plate has never been reported to fail by hundreds of users. A “no questions asked” 30 day refund offer comes with each beam.
More info: http://www.hex-beam.com/

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: by K4KIO.

N2EBB Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2014 07:57 Send this review to a friend
excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a lighter array because it would be on the house. The K4KIO hex-beam met all expectations. Very easy to assemble, easy to erect because of light weight, and easy on the eye. At 25 feet above ground the beam hears better than dipoles twice as high, the signal reports are excellent, and I have actually not used my amplifier because I can work anyone I hear without it. I consider this one of the best values I have ever purchased.

WA1TJB Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2013 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Leo,

I wanted to give you a quick testimonial for the hex beam. I was watching dxwatch.com last night and saw a post for a station in the Falkland Islands. I tuned in the frequency on my 43 foot tall vertical antenna and could barely hear the station down in the weeds. I have a K4KIO hex beam but it only sits about 8 feet off the ground (I haven't had time to get it up on a mast yet). Anyway, I switched over from the vertical to the hex beam and turned the beam to the southeast. The Falkland station came up to a copyable level, so I gave him and call and got him on the second try. I only gave him a 55 report but got a 59 report back. Even with the hex beam sitting just above ground level, it really does a great job. Can't wait to see what it will do when I get it up 40 feet!!

Blessings,

Gary
WA1TJB

KC9YYI Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 03:39 Send this review to a friend
Unstable SWR.. ???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This beam is easy to put together and worked fine the first day with an SWR below 1.2.1 on all bands. Thats why I gave it a 5. Then the swr started slowly going up to 2.1.1 on all bands.

I really dont think it's the beam though. It has been raining everyday since I put it up. The first day, I was getting reports like "Turn that damn power down".. (I was only running 70 watts.. hi hi).
I would recommend to Leo to not use the set screws to mount it to the mast. I drilled holes in mine to insure it doesn't slip on the mast.

I did notice the beam was quieter than the 3 element I took down and believe it or not, the KIO hex beam is actually more stealth the the 3 element tri bander. It blends into the sky quite well. I think the swr will be more stable when the weather dries out.

KD8VUU Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2013 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I'll provide a copy of a portion of the email I sent K4KIO regarding their antenna.

Leo,

This is Leo Lake (Jerry) from West By Gosh Virginia. I bought your hexagonal beam a few weeks ago and would like to give you a report.

When we talked on the telephone, I hadn't taken my Ham test. On November 1 I passed the Technican and General Exams and am currently studying to take the Extra Class exam. My call sign is KD8VUU.

We installed the antenna on November 2. We strapped it to the chimney at about 25 feet. As soon as we plugged it in my Elmer rang up New York on the first attempt.

I went active in the FCC Database and began operating on November 6th. I am running a Yaesu FT-950 barefoot with 100 watts and an MD-100 Desk Microphone.

I think the results have been phenomenal. We have worked Texas, Oregon, Calgary Alberta, Colorado, Washington, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Oklahoma, British Columbia, Guyana, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Netherlands, Romania, Latvia, Isle of Man British Islands, Anguilla, and the Azores.

Feel free to use any of my comments or pictures for promoting your product.

The second night we had the antenna up, a 50 MPH sustained wind came through. The antenna weathered the storm in fine fashion.

I talked with a guy today in Kansas who is thinking about a hex beam. I told him to give you a call.

I hope to hear you on the radio someday. Thanks for building a great product. I'm going to install a 40/80 Meter dipole in the next week or two.

Leo G. (Jerry) Lake
KD8VUU

Leo Shoemaker responded within about 12 hours. I am greatly impressed by not only the results, but the ease of assembly and the excellent instructions provided.

Since sending the email, I also had QSOs with Arkansas, Minnesota, England, Russia, Germany, Estonia, Nova Scotia, and St. Lucia.

Being new to the hobby, I really don't have anything to compare it to, but I can't imagine any better results with anything else that falls within my budget.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one for your shack.

73.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been working DX I could never hear before. Base of beam is 49'. 1.2:1 on all 6 bands. No tuning needed, plug and play! Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said in these reviews. If your thinking Hex Beam, this is the BEST!

NC6U Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2013 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I raised my new k4kio Hex beam on Saturday. Assembly could not have been simpler. Low SWR, small, and a good quality build! Outstanding customer service follows along with it. On the air the Hex Beam is outstanding. A Yaesu G-450 rotor atop a Rohn H-30 mast up 25 feet works well.
Thanks to Leo for a well made easy to assemble Hex Beam Antenna. He did must of the work for us.

Ron nc6u

W6ORZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When we moved from California to Pennsylvania in 1982 I didn't move my 3 element tri-band beam - the PA home was not suitable for the crank-up mast I had in CA. About a year ago I started looking for a directional antenna that I could mount on the roof of the house. I found one that fit my needs and my budget. However, I couldn't get the manufacturer to respond to my questions. Then I ran across the hex beam and found Leo, K4KIO. He answers the phone when you call. He patiently answers all your questions. Last April I bought a 6 band hex beam (6m-20m). Leo shipped it the next day and FedEx delivered in in a couple of days - one box with the PVC tubes, one with the center feed mast and one with the wires, guy cables and the balun I ordered. The boxes sat here for several months until I could recruit some help from our radio club - my 70 year-old knees are not really up to climbing on my roof! We installed a 3 foot tripod mast with stainless steel guy wires and mounted my Yaesu G-450A rotator. It took about an hour to assemble to hex beam. The MFJ antenna analyzer showed SWR dips in all 6 bands. From the ground to the roof was a 3 step process: 2 of us on the ground and two on the deck to get it to the first stopping point. then 2 on the roof and two on the deck to get it to the second stopping point. The two on the roof moved it to the peak and lifted and set it on the rotator. The hex beam weighs less that 30 pounds but is over 20 feet in diameter. We aligned the rotator and ran the cables off the roof. The next day I ran the cables into the house to the radio. In the first 2-1/2 weeks I made 100+ QSO's in 62 countries - including India from PA on 20m long-path. Unless there's a really big pile up I find that I only have to call a couple of times to get to the DX stations. My location is not ideal - the Hex Beam is mounted on the family room roof. The house has 2 floors so due north is pointing at one of the upstairs bedrooms. But, I have a clear shot to the other 300 degrees of coverage. Based on the first couple of weeks the Hex Beam by K4KIO meets my needs. The instructions were excellent. All the parts were included. All the pieces arrived in the boxes. I'm sure 4 or 5 elements up 60 feet will out-perform me. But, I don't have the real estate, nor the budget, for that approach. I'd recommend the Hex Beam to anyone that needs a rotatable antenna. I'd recommend the Hex Beam by K4KIO for anyone who wants to buy a hex beam that only needs assembly. Tuning on this hex beam is really non-existent. There are no adjustments on the antenna. Build it, put it up in the sky, point it in the right direction, connect it to the radio and start working the world immediately.

W3HZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 55 years in amateur radio, I bought my first beam, a hex beam by K4KIO. Of all the beams, a hex beam fit well on my telescoping 42 foot tower and it gave me the best bang for the buck. Of the hex beams, I chose the K4KIO because of price, American made, and reviews. I'm pleased. The kit went together in about 2 hours with the help of two friends. The materials seem of high quality, and much of the hard work - like cutting the wires - was already done. Much thought was given to the design of the beam AND to how the kit goes together. Little niceties like wire ties to keep wire from tangling as you're stringing through the antenna. No special tools need and the instructions were easy to follow. (But if you do have a problem, Leo is only a phone call or email away). I had someone carry the beam up on the roof and drop it on the mast/rotor and do the final installation. I've only had it on the air for a weekend, but it works great - QRP to the Pacific and Eastern Europe with only 5 watts from my south Georgia QTH.

KK5EDD Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna a couple of months ago but just got it up yesterday. It was very easy to assemble and raise (I climbed a ladder while holding it to put it on the end of the mast). One of my first contacts was a QRP one watt station in Florida which I had been listening for for months. No problem with the KIO hex. Now if I can just figure out what's wrong with the Mosley I took down!

WD4DDA Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Love this antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got the complete package (all the bands) and choke. Arrived well packed, very easy to assemble. Spent a few weeks checking out the swr and testing at five feet off the ground. Had to wait for some good weather and low winds before I could get it on top of my 40 ft. tower. I have an FT-950 (100 watts) and the internal turner plays very well with this antenna. Very good signal reports, was able to contact the Greenland DX group on 17 meters this weekend, what a pile up. Had only had one question so I called and got the help I needed. Small for it's size but packs a bunch. Very well made and worth every penny I paid for this made in the USA product.
Also my small Yaesu rotor turns and holds it with no problem. I have no complaints, it's a 5 stars antenna.