Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Ross Radio; Antenna Ground Radial Lawn Staple Anchor Pins Help

Reviews Summary for Ross Radio; Antenna Ground Radial Lawn Staple Anchor Pins
Ross Radio; Antenna Ground Radial Lawn Staple Anchor Pins Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $12.49
Description: A Proven Fast Easy Method to Help Install your Antenna Ground Radials!
More info: http://radialstaple.wordpress.com/

You can write your own review of the Ross Radio; Antenna Ground Radial Lawn Staple Anchor Pins.

K3XA Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2016 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Good quality product and excellent customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My order was processed quickly and the product arrived on schedule. The quality of the staples is excellent. Installation to follow.

K5YBX Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2016 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value, great customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Securing 32, 65-foot radials was going to be a challenge because they were installed on rough Texas pasture, rather than a flat lawn. The vegetation varies and the surface is uneven. I began with lawn staples from the home store, but that would end up an expensive solution. So, I ordered 1500 anchor pins from Ross Radio. I received them amazingly fast with frequent, personalized emails from Ross. They seem to be just the right size and easy to install, although bending over 1500 times was tough on my back! We expect a week of heavy spring rain which should cause the grass to grow significantly and cover all the radials. This is a really nice product, not expensive, and a super buying experience.

K2ARV Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2016 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Great product. Amazing customer service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The pins were very easy to use. They went in easily with minimal effort. Note that you would probably need more than what you would have initially thought.

I used 22 AWG enameled copper magnet wire for my radials instead of the generally recommended 14 gauge ones. You get a lot more wire for a lot less if you go higher on the AWG charts. Use this to cut more radials instead. The current through the radials are miniscule to begin with but when you increase the number of radials like I did (It is an ongoing project. I am not done yet. I intend to bury 60+ radials), the current gets distributed and divided into further miniscule levels that thinner wires can easily handle. Just make sure that you use copper wires for better conductivity and corrosion resistance.

Ross provides outstanding customer service. He emails at various stages of shipping and makes sure that you are a satisfied customer. And his emails are personal - none of the copy-paste auto-responder stuff.

AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2015 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found these on e-bay and got a bag of 375 pins. More than enough for laying down the 30 radials that I needed. They are a great alternative to using large bulky lawn staples and are almost invisible when installed. I also received a CD with some very useful information on radials and other subjects included for free. How can you beat that kind of service?

KW4CQ Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2014 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Didn't hold well for me.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These staples may work well in certain situations but they were too short (only 1-3/4" long)for my radial system even with the grass mowed short. They wouldn't grab hold of the soil and hold. They would often pop up. To remedy the situation I decided to cut and bend my own 4" long staples out of a 2.5 pound roll of No.18 coated bailing wire available from Home Depot for $5.25. Three rolls ended up being more than sufficient for 60 radials 65 feet long. Pushed down through the lawn into the soil they held extremely well.

WI1S Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2014 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was planning to lay out some radials for a 160m inverted L thinking I was going to have to use an edger to bury them. Came across the reviews on the Ross Radio lawn staples and gave them a try.

Living in Florida with our sandy soil, I was concerned that they may not hold when my lawn guys came. But there were no problems at all. It probably helps a bit to squeeze them together as you insert them.

Found that I needed to place one about every 18-24 inches. Only downside is that by the time I finish one 100' foot radial, I'm starting to feel dizzy and nauseous from bending over that many times!

Great product and great value! Thanks!!

W5AKU Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2014 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Product,Super Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I, like others, found the Ross Site by a Google search. Needing to put the finishing touches on my radial field for my new 43 Ft. S-9 Vertical. The product is great and Mr. Langman- KB8NTY provides a nice product, great service and fast,affordable, shipping. He included an information packed CD ROM ,especially for New Hams installing their first ground mounted Vertical Antenna. Thanks Ross 73. W5AKU

W8AJS Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2014 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Started installing radials when I heard about using radial staple pins. Did a search and found Ross Radio and ordered them after checking reviews. I was very impressed,very fast shipping and worked just great. Lots of clay in this areas soil and the pins made all the difference in radial installation.

KE0MS Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2014 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Good product for the price...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had never used Ross Radio's radial pins before. I found them by doing an internet search. They seemed pretty low-priced, so I investigated.

I was intrigued by the price of these ground wire anchor pins. I have used other brands of similar pins in the past, but they were more expensive (by far) but much heavier-duty. I was expecting pins made of wire consistent with wire coat-hangars; these are MUCH LIGHTER. So, this was an experiment.

I had experience with ground radial installation, and knew I was going to need a ton of them for the jobs I had to do, as I believe (like Tim Allen) "Bigger/Better/Faster/More is better.".. So, my projects: I had a 1200' invisible fence to install around my 1.2 acre place, and also to put up a couple of different vertical HF antennas.. the invisible fence was the test project, but identical in scope to installing a radial-field.

When I ordered these, I assumed I would need more than one pin every 3 feet or so which is the recommended spacing, and I was right. Again, these pins are not heavy-duty, and only a couple of inches long at most. They almost look skrawny.

The pins installed ok, but *at first* I had problems with them springing back up from the ground when I pushed them in.... After some experimentation, I found there is a right-way to install them in order to get them to not spring back out of the ground. When you install them after running your wire (per the instructions that is included with each bag, very helpful to the inexperienced in running ground radials), you need to pinch the two ends of the pin together as you push them into the ground, so that they expand as you push them in... in that way, there is tension on them to expand as you push, which puts force on them from 'relaxed position', thus pulling them into the ground after you let go.

They don't work really well in sandy soil, though, so if you have lots of that, you'll definitely need longer ones to go much deeper into the soil... I have gopher holes/mole tracks in my yard, which I have to avoid, as the churned-up/soft soil doesn't hold these pins well at all. But most "normal" dirt works fine.

At about 400 pins per pound (per the website and the instructions that come with each order), I ordered two pounds, enough to go the expected distance of my project, with 1 per foot plus-or-minus... My guesswork paid off, and the wires are held close to the ground. I admittedly probably did overkill on my spacing, and, I know that the grass will indeed consume the wire and make it invisible over time. So, I expect that some users will get along fine at the standard 3' spacing.

They also have a small twist in the top of the pin to make it easier to push in. I found I still needed to use gloves or my thumb got sore. But, that would happen with any pin design.

I rated these a '4' as I think another inch longer would be better. But, they work pretty well, and I'll be buying more in the future. Now that I know how best to use them, they are fine for most my radial installations. The inclusion of instructions on how to make a great radial-field is very helpful also.

Good luck with your vertical radial field installs... Wayne, ke0ms

K0OM Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2014 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Just what I needed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed a 43 Ft vertical and now need to install the radials. I think this may just be a good job for my grand son as he can reach the ground much easier than I can.
This product seems to be of a good design and will
make the radial installation go smoothly.