Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Braun T 1000 CD Help

Reviews Summary for Braun T 1000 CD
Braun T 1000 CD Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $600
Description: It is a German made general coverage portable receiver.It is single superhet with tuned RF stage.It has FM plus two LW,two MW and eight SW (1,5 to 30Mhz).It has BFO,two selectivities.Design is from Dieter Rams.It use a rotary bandswitch with golden plated contacts.This set is considered as the Rolls of portables because the high level of quality construction.It was used by diplomats (CD sigle).It was not a cheap receiver

You can write your own review of the Braun T 1000 CD.

W1RC Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2015 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Classic Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a new T1000CD in Germany in 1970. It was a great portable shortwave radio. But it was expensive; I paid around USD $550 including the built-in AC supply and Braun headphones. However, despite the cost, it is not a communications receiver. I sold it in the early 1980s to buy a Sony ICF-2001. Afterwards I regretted it.

A few years ago I found a T1000 and bought it,. Very recently I bought a T1000CD from the UK on eBay. The difference essentially is the carrying handle which is a leather strap on the CD model and the shape of the tuning knobs which have rounded edges on the CD. But the actual radios are pretty much the same.

The German Diplomatic Corps apparently used these radios in the field thus the "CD" appellation. However this would not have been for communications; rather for listening to shortwave broadcasts. Although the,visual,design and aesthetics are Dieter Rams masterpieces the T1000 CD is still a LW, MW, shortwave and FM broadcast band radio instead of a communications receiver.

Contrary to what is stated below the Braun T1000 CD is no longer in production. I believe production ceased around 1971.

Z21BB Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2012 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful design receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
First thing is a quick remark to state that the T1000 is NOT in production anymore (discontinued towards the end of the 1960s or very early 70s).
I have 2 of these receivers, and a 3rd, half cannibalized one for spares.
The T1000 was very advanced in its day (mid 60s) and costed a fortune. Today it is a collectors item because of its design, more than anything else. It was designed by the famous architect / industrial designer Dieter Rams. Surviving samples of the Braun T 1000 CD or its predecessor the T 1000 fetch very high prices in the usual 2nd hand electronics websites, particularly if they come with a white dial instead of the usual black one (this was a very limited edition of the T 1000 CD). I have seen these prices only rising with the time, and they are likely to keep rising (in case you want to look at it as an investment).
It has a very pleasant audio, and that is perhaps, together with the design, its most outstanding feature (has several tone or bandwidth controls that allow sound "customization"), particularly if you tune to FM stations.
The quality of construction is amazing, or I'd rather say, luxurious, with no costs spared or compromises of any kind. Great, solid German technology of back then, at its best. For example, switching short, medium or longwave bands in the T 1000 is done by means of a rotary drum which contains all the coils. Well, that drum features contacts made of solid gold... The cabinet has a beautiful finish of brushed aluminum.
As a shortwave receiver the T 1000 CD has its shortcomings though, and if I was to rate the radio just on those grounds I would give it just a 3 (if I was to compare it with more modern domestic multi-band receivers available in today's market).
The AGC is perhaps among its weak points (when disengaged you will likely miss some of the weaker stations, and when engaged you will need constant adjustment to avoid saturation, so it is not so automatic after all). The BFO control is not the forte of this radio either, though there is indeed one as a (quite unique) feature of a receiver in its class, of that era. Sensitivity towards the higher end of the HF spectrum is not particularly great (20MHz and above), but just passable. Overall, a more than acceptable multi-band shortwave receiver for casual listening but not really a "DX machine" by today's standards.
Design wise, and in my view, the T 1000 CD is among the most beautiful radios ever made and deserves a 5 or higher (if there was such a rating). And since the looks of a radio are also important to me, I give it an overall mark of 4.

N4VNV Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2012 10:12 Send this review to a friend
BEST EVER!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one new in 1967, It was a Braun Station T-1000. NOT the CD model. I sold it in 1980. I wish I had held on to it. THE BEST Receiver I've ever owned. Had SW,SSB,AM-FM, Ant padder(tuner),BFO, Battery ("D" Cells or AC)and ext plug-in's for just about anything. You don't keep something 13 years unless it's mighty fine. I wish I could find my original one, I sold it to a John Dodge who was a good friend of mine. But lost track of him over the years.

FPX77 Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2009 03:12 Send this review to a friend
great receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second Braun T1000 ,this one is CD ,it is as a new one.The quality of construction is above the average,the audio is fine on AM and FM.The set is sensitive,as a Satellit 210.On SW there is no birdies although it a single superhet.On 60 meter band there is no frequency image this is rare to be noted as on my R300 (with 3 mosfet) I find images of 49meter band around 5Mhz!With a little outdoor antenna Dx is possible,I use the Braun in parallel with a FRG7 and an ICR70.I love this radio although it is not cheap ,see E Bay!It is the Rolex of portables radios.