Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Yachtboy 400 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Yachtboy 400
Grundig Yachtboy 400 Reviews: 66 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $199
Description: 100 Khz - 30 Mhx portable receiver
More info: http://www.grundig.com/produkte/highlights.html

You can write your own review of the Grundig Yachtboy 400.

N4YX Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2012 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Three Thumbs Up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had three of these including a silver PE for many years and they work great. Bought 'em all used for very little $. Performance to price ratio is high. Now they aren't meant to compete with high priced pro-grade receivers so one must adjust his/her expectations accordingly.

KB0LPI Rating: 3/5 Feb 18, 2010 15:10 Send this review to a friend
OK Choice if SSB not required  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the almost identical G4000A.
I also own an E5,7600GR, and KA1103, so this review will focus on where the G4000A falls short or exceeds these models.

Pros:
*Sensitivity/Selectivity on SW/BCB/FM matches or exceeds the previously mentioned models.
*Sound from the built in speaker is richer and fuller.
*Has a non-radio (beep) alarm with snooze
*Push button frequency step control. (7600GR also has additional buttons for same function.)
*Memory system is easy to set and use. (but only 40 presets.)
*Volume control feels smooth and is easy to set anywhere from silent to loud.

Cons:
*SSB
*SSB
*Did I mention SSB? CW was a warbled mess, and SSB voice took forever to tune in a signal that was easy on the other radios, to only halfway intelligible on the G4000A. For an SSB radio I'd rate it 1/5 if I was being generous.
* Overall Control quality. The buttons and switches feel sloppy and cheap compared to the other radios. They work, but don't inspire confidence.
* requires 6 rather than 4 batteries.

So... Buy this radio if you are looking for BCB/SW unit to put on your nightstand with a beep alarm, and use a few memories.

Do not buy this radio if you want to monitor SSB/CW ham transmissions, if you plan to operate mainly on batteries, or have hundreds of presets.

N0IKD Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2010 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Bought mine in 1994  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess I'd give my YB400 a 5 just because I've been using it almost daily for 15 years and it has served me well. Whether at home, in a motel room or in a tent while camping I've listened to the bands nearly every night. It absolutly isn't the best receiver I own but it is the most versatile and I can always find something to listen to on it. I bet I'm still listening to it 15 years from now too!

NG0K Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Good general use portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for seven years. This radio has very good sounding audio. Not particularly good for surfing the bands because of the push button tuning and it's annoying to tune with headphones on. But for casual BCB on SW/AM/FM it's a good radio. Headphone L/R channels aren't balanced in my set until the volume is turned up high then it's too loud, so I have a little in-line volume control to compensate for it. Overall a good general use portable radio.

Doug NG0K

PINESTUMPSAVAGE Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2010 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Yachtboy 400 since 2003; bought refurbished from Universal Radio for $99.00.

I have used this radio at home and camping, with internal and external antennas, on MW, FM and SW bands; this radio has been great. It performs well beyond the expectations of a $99.00 radio. It's actually built in a manner that makes portability easy and safe for the radio. The earbuds, external antenna and carrying case included with the radio made the purchase even better.

The radio is great in every aspect with only a few exceptions. The audio is terrible with the built-in speaker. I use an external speaker with the headphone jack and it sounds much better. I am not too fond of the battery level monitor that shuts the radio off when it thinks the batteries are low.

Other than those two things the radio is a keeper even at full MSRP.

WA1UFO Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2009 16:32 Send this review to a friend
I like this little beast!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a swl for 53 years and have owned many radios from 1926 models to present. I got my YB400pe 3 years ago and really enjoy it. Paid 149 at Radio Shack and it's worth every penny.Remember, it's not a 2 grand tabletop! I would never consider Degens or Kaitos because of a huge gap in coverage. This radio looks great and construction quality is good but not great. Refurbished units can be had for about 99 yankee dollars. Get one--you will like it.

K8AND Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2009 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Get One while they are still in good shape  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello All,
I have used several portable radios in it's class and must say although the Grundig 400 is discontinued you can still find them on Ebay for
reasonable prices. I have used the KAITO 1103,SONY 7600GR and now have the G4000A which is
just like the 400PE but with a leather case.
I liked the KAITO but it had a VERY SENSITIVE front end and NON CONTINUOUS tuning across the entire spectrum of the shortwave bands. Although the Kaito 1103 charges
it's batteries inside the unit it takes at least 12 hours and while charging the charger/adaptor
introduces a nice "BUZZ" all over the bands.
The Sony 7600GR is nice but doesn't come with an AC power adaptor,no Signal strength meter and not as good sound from it's speaker. Is it really worth the Sync detection to sacrifice those?
For those who like to use a portable SW radio with AA batteries just go to your local Best Buy
and buy those Energizer rechargable batteries that come with a charger. They charge in 15 minutes in this charger unlike the 12 hours in the Kaito. I will list the Pros and Cons of the YB 400 as I see them..

PROS-
1.EXCELLENT sound from it's built in Speaker
2.Good reception across all the bands
3.Simple tuning and no band switching needed when tuning across the entire SW spectrum like the Kaito 1103
4.SIMPLE memory operation(No goofy pages to use)
5.Memory Tuning,Direct Entry,and auto tuning built in
6.Radio when new comes with manual,real antenna,and power adaptor.
7.Signal Strength Meter
8.Two times
9.Sleep timer
10.Good SSB reception,just takes a little patience
11.unlike the KAITO 1103 this guy has a DEDICATED volume knob,the Kaito you had to hit a button and then adjust the volume! Even with the New G5(I have not had) apparently does NOT have a volume knob,you have to adjust the volume with buttons!
12.well layed out keypad
13.Alarm clock to wake up to radio
14.Good location of the "LIGHT" and "Snooze"
button.
15.EXCELLENT SENSITIVITY
16.EXCELLENT SELECTIVITY

CONS:
1.a little large for a portable these days
2.No Sync detection
3.No Dedicated LSB/USB like the SONY 7600GR
4.No Tuning Knob.
5.Display light won't "stay on" but bright enough to see what your tuning in the dark. Light will stay on for 10 seconds and go off. If you tune the radio while the light is on by letting go of a button and then pressing the same button you originally pressed or another one in the ten second window the light will stay on.However if you are HOLDING DOWN a button while the light is on the light will go off in 10 seconds so if you want to have the light stay on you have to let go of the button and push it again in the 10 second window for it to stay on OR tap the light on button.

Don't let the poor reviews fool you. I consider this radio to be a favorite of mine and for me it's a little better then the SONY 7600GR

I liked the Sony but if you want to jog through more then 10 memories you have to change pages,the sound is FAIR at best from it's built in speaker and no signal strength meter.
It is a good radio though but I think you get more bang for the buck with a used Grundig 400.

TERRYW Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2008 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Solid, sensitive and with great sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pros: Great speaker sound, very sensitive off the whip, durable and reliable

Cons: No tuning knob, only 40 memories and all on one page, mutes while tuning, SSB via tuning dial instead of USB/LSB switch

No problems and much good listening over the past two years

VE1BLL Rating: 1/5 Oct 14, 2007 16:47 Send this review to a friend
A '2-hour' radio (time from buy to refund)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one today for Cdn$39.96 at The Source (Canada) on the assumption that it might be a reasonable radio at that sort of discount. Less than two hours later I took it back for a refund.

Build quality and feel were poor (cheap) in my opinion. It seemed to have it's own noise floor as opposed to atmospheric noise as I'd expect. Switching on the BFO was a disappointment (nearly useless). The whip antenna was wobbling in a manner that did not inspire confidence.

All in all I didn't think it was worth even the $40 so I packaged it back up and took it back.

Lest you think I'm being unfair, I bought an Eton E10 at the same time and it's a keeper (subject of my next review).

IZ8FNY Rating: 3/5 Sep 2, 2007 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Not so portable...but great audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this receiver for about four years. I purchased it on eBay as refurbished item. I think that it isn't very portable (due to dimensions and weight). It draws a lot of current (battery life is short) so a battery charger should be used. Audio is great, the best for me so far. I will summarize my usage impressions as follows. I always used the telescopic antenna (no whip).

PRO
+ Audio (excellent)
+ SW/MW Sensitivity

CONS
- Dimensions and weight make it not so portable...
- Short battery life (charger is a must have)
- No battery charger system
- No LSB/USB selection
- LCD backlight is weak
- FM selectivity
- Old design (just see what makes Degen...)