Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Yachtboy 400 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Yachtboy 400
Grundig Yachtboy 400 Reviews: 66 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $199
Description: 100 Khz - 30 Mhx portable receiver
More info: http://www.grundig.com/produkte/highlights.html

You can write your own review of the Grundig Yachtboy 400.

AC9HE Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2007 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is exceptional for the price. It is amazing how someone will purchase a radio and after ten minutes of time give it a zero out of five. In my opinion that is what their review is worth.....0. Great radio does what it was designed to do for the price.

G3UXB Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2007 20:53 Send this review to a friend
A Very Good Portable Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well having owned my Grundig 400 for a few years now and reading all the reviews I guess I have to add myt 2 cents worth. For the money I think this is a great radio, construction quality is fairly good I have traveled with this radio on many occasions and the only problem I had was to tighten the antenna swivel joint, it does eat batteries if you use it on the speaker at loud volume levels but the speaker is really good for a small radio. Despite other reviews I have had no problem tuning in SSB signals using the 1 khz tuning and the fine tune bfo with it's center detent, I have not missed the lack of synch AM detection, if there is a problem I use ECSS in the SSB mode, the only good synch detector is on the Lowe HF-150 or the Grundig 800 any way. Sensitivity with the whip I find very satisfactory tuning in many stations on the HF spectrum. Thje only thing that stops me giving this radio a 5 is the chuffing on the tuning but then this is a less than $150 radio and if you use the auto tune on the pre-set HF shortwave bands the muting kicks in and you hear nothing in-between signal. I personally think it looks better than the sony radios. I will not bother upgrading to anything more for a suitcase radio because this one does the job it is designed for

N9IGP Rating: 3/5 Jun 17, 2005 00:45 Send this review to a friend
3 words "Get a SONY"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a Grundig 400 and have just received the Sony 7600GR. The only thing going for the Yachtboy 400 is the speaker. Richer sond on FM. For performance save your money for a Sony, any Sony. The 400 is poorly made plasntc and the switches feel like they are going to fall off. SSB reception is a joke! I got the Grundig 1st thinking hey, it's a German made receiver and Grundig has a great reputation. Well, is not made in Germany it's made in China.
Is it a disaster? Well no, it is not. It's just OK. If you get one you'll wonder why you didn't just save up for a Sony 7600GR. Is the 7600GR perfect, no it's not either however, it's FAR better then the Grundig, Far Better.

Three Words "Get a Sony"

MARTESQUE Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2005 04:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There are more than a few places on the Internet where I've dissed on this radio, but I must have originally had a bad one. I kept reading good reviews and finally thought that 60 bucks on EBay was worth the risk. I'm glad I did.

This one has very good sensitivity; the MW (AM) is superb and FM is excellent. Shortwave is very good and since I'm not big into SSB, I have no big opinion on the YB400 set-up.

I returned the first one because I didn't think the audio was all that great. FM was average at best and AM was horrific. Again, this one is vastly improved. Warm, full FM and nice AM in wide filter. Good amp to speaker ratio.

I do have a few quirks to point out compared to the much smaller Sangean ATS-606, the radio I bought after I'd returned the first Yacht Boy.

Volume Control. The direction of the control is backwards. Down is louder, which although not a biggie, it does mean that the volume is wide open every time you slide it out of the carry case. I'm not a conformist, but I do need some stability in my radio life!

Alarm: If you need to be startled out of bed, the YB400 is for you. I prefer the "humane system" employed by the Sangean.

Pre-sets. I prefer specified pre-sets for each band. Grundig lets you pick and chose any way you want to arrange your 40 choices. I also prefer the ATS-606 way of using the buttons to go directly to your favorites. The YB-400 is set up to that of a keypad to type in information, and then hit another button to go to that frequency, pre-set, or SW band.

Sangean's ATS (Automatic Tuning System). Here, the little radio wins out with this neat feature. Go to a foreign city, hold down the FM or AM button and your memory buttons fill up with the strongest signals. Of course if you're a total radio geek like me, you'll come prepared with a print-out of stations and just directly tune them in anyway!

Batteries: With any digital receiver, I now use the Lithium AAs and they lengthen the lifespan at least 3-4 times. Plus, they're lighter than alkalines, so they're worth the $$$ price. The Grundig likes 6 of them compared to the ATS-606 room for three, but the Yacht Boy has a better battery lifespan.

Sound. No question the YB400 sounds better from the larger speaker, but the Sangean is much clearer because it's flat. This is more noticeable in a good pair of headphones. On the Yacht Boy, you have two tone settings. High is good for the speaker, but a little harsh on the headphones. Low is muddy on the speaker and headphones.

Overall, the Yacht Boy 400PE is a great radio for portability and use. Sound is better than most paortables of this size. I'm glad I gave it a second try.

LRDHEAT Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2005 20:01 Send this review to a friend
nice set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good overall performance. Fine sensitivity, good selectivity although strong sw signals make reception of stations 5khz away difficult. Narrow selectivity not much different from the wide setting. Grundig techs on their helpline confirmed this. They also confirmed that sensitivity of the Mini 300PE, YB 400PE, E10, E100 are ALL similar. The difference with the 400 is a BFO for SSB, and dual conversion to elliminate images (300PE, again, while about as sensitive, is different in that it lacks memories, can only tune 7 sw bands, and has a frequency counter for it's analog tuning system which allows for drift and slightly off frequency displays). Both work well. I was thrilled to tune in SSB aviation weather from New York and Gander Radio as well as Shannon and Honolulu. AFRTS out of Key West was great. Gone are the images! The Mini 300PE picks up CHU on 13760...the 400 picks it up on 14670 where it belongs (actually, since the 300 doesn't cover 14670, that image is actually a bonus!).

A SLIGHT minus is intrusion of local FM on a few spots in the 120m and 16m bands...it was very faint, didn't cover up much of the band, and wasn't a problem on frequencies where signals were discernable.

Very easy set to use, memories easy to program and access. Convenient size. Easy to switch between 1 and 5khz tuning steps. ECSS tuning helped reduce hiss and interference on some of the weaker signals.

W5ZZG Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2005 20:46 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was a cheap purchase at Radio shack. (About $120) It works much better than my old Panasonic (RF2200)did for monitoring the ham band and some shortwave. It copies SSB without much problem.

Given the price, I would recommend this radio.

VE3GMU Rating: 4/5 Feb 4, 2005 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value and Fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi;
Got one of these for christmas and for my purpose is great. I am on the road each and every week and this fits the bill as a motel receiver.
It performs well on MW (sensitive)for my talk show passion, and the mix and match memory for all the bands is great.
On SSB it's not the greatest as other reviews have stated, but usable.
For shortwave even among all the noise generated by tons of motel computers and laptops it performs quite admirably, picks up tons of stations.
Pick one up ... you wont be disappointed for the money.
Great audio from a small unit , and fits in a suitcase without much room.
Happy Listening

RADIODORK Rating: 1/5 Dec 31, 2004 12:05 Send this review to a friend
So what is so good about this ?.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I either got ahold of a lemon, or this radio is
grossly overated. I had asked for this at Christmas time because of all the good reviews
and the fact that it looked sharp. WRONG.
Until now, my only shortwave radios were the
Grundig S350 (which is 10X better than the Yacht Boy), a vintage Radio Shack Patrolman CB60, and a cheap COBY. For one thing, with the antenna
fully extended, it becomes top heavy and wants to sway (the antenna), and when it sways, the radio pops and crackles, it even pops and cracks
with the slightest touch of my finger on the face. The included reel antenna is of no help.
What really was the icing on the cake was when I
began noticing that there were several frequencies that my S350 was pulling in, that the
Yacht Boy didn't even hint at. After setting both units up at the same time in an upstairs room without any other electrical appliance on
and the reel antenna in place, I began compiling
a list of the stations the S350 picked up, and tried to duplicate with the Yacht Boy. I gave up after nine. I am also disappointed with the sound
quality as compared to the S350. The only redeeming quality I noticed is standard FM reception. But even at that, it is too expensive
to pass off as a portable FM radio. Of course, trying to get ahold of the technical support as listed in the manual is a joke.
So back to Amazon it goes. I only wish it had come from the local Radio Shack so as not to get burned with shipping costs and Amazon's famous re-stocking fee. Live and learn.

SWLABN Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2004 09:43 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
But I'm giving it 4 out of 5. I agree with the previous reviews I think they give a very accurate account what you are getting for your money.

I'm comparing it with the HF RX of my Yaesu VR500 scanner.

I have found the yaesu to overload very easily with a longwire but when using the longwire on the yb it has pulled in signals with little overloading. Secondly, the audio output is much clearer and LOUDER the yaesu is so quiet and required constant use of headphones. Now I can listen comfortably through a speaker!

I have found overall performance on most bands very good pulling in signals from hams in Japan, West coast, middle east with considerable ease using a long wire antenna although the whip is very effective too.

It is a bulky piece of kit with batteries but feels nice and I love that metallic look on the PE.

I know it seems difficult to compare the yb400 with the vr500 but I'm trying to put its performance into perspective and if you own a vr500 i'm sure you'll understand what I'm saying here

I feel the Grundig is a good buy

KF4WDZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2004 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Better than I thought  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked one up on closeout at a Radio ("Rat")Shack ,not realy expecting too much out of it. A cheap radio with a bfo...why not?

Much better radio than I thought it would be.

The good stuff:
-BFO for SSB
-will tune in 1 KHz steps
-very very good sound through phones( if you have good ones)
-very good sound with built in speaker
-FM stereo through phones
-very good FM
-good AM/MW
-good SW with whip ant.
-handy reel ant.
-very good owner's manual with frequency guide for ameteur,aironautical,and maritime.
-nice case
-built very well with good quality feel to it.

Things that bug me,but not too much:
-Bass and Treble would be nice,but if not CAN'T WE AT LEAST HAVE A TONE KNOB? Not even the famed Sony 2010 has one! Why not? The hi/low switch is better than nothing,and does an ok job.
-No rf gain control.Two way dx/local switch only
-no tune knob just up and down buttons,so it's a bit of a pain to band scan.Push push push push push push push.Can tune in 1 KHz steps.
-BFO only. No usb/lsb.Tunes in 1 Khz steps with bfo "fine tune" knob.Still ok for ssb ,just could be better.
-no sync detector.Hay,what do 'ya want for $125?
-Cheezy "earbud phones". Then again, did you ever get a decent pair of headphones with anything? Not me.Spend a little and get some Koss "Porta-pro" phones.You will never go back to cheap ones again!
-dial light only stays on for 10 sec.
Don't let all of this talk you out of one though.What it does it does well....

All in all: A fine little radio esp. for the $. Quite good sound with the speaker,and very very good through phones.Good MW/Am dx( not a 2010 or RF-2200 but,still a lot better than you might think).Good with just the whip ant. for SW.Very good FM.I think it's by far the best radio you can get for the money....grab one while you can still get a new one....8)