Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UVD1 Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UVD1
Wouxun KG-UVD1 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 136-174MHz & 400-470MHz Dual display, dual receive.
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1.htm

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UVD1.

AC7CW Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 16:16 Send this review to a friend
I like it a lot!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In operation I like the radio and never have any problems with it.

Programming via the keypad is a bit of a challenge. The terminology has to be understood and a few of the settings are contextual to other settings. I put in the time to "get it" and eventually became comfortable with the radio. There is a very thorough youtube video on the subject: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qEa4WYhbc

I bought a 40" extending antenna from MFJ and adapted it to the radio with a barrel connector. I can get full quieting from the local repeaters. I wouldn't expect much more than that.

EI3HAB Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2014 16:40 Send this review to a friend
good for ham repeaters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine from 409shop.com at least 2 years ago; 2012. I never programmed it, I key in the repeater information incl., ctcss and talk away to fellow hams. It can reach a repeater that is 30 miles from me but this is strictly line of sight and the repeater is on a height. The charger and one of the two rechargeable batteries packed it in. I have purchased replacements via paypal. march 2014. Postal services from Hong Kong and Singapore are good. 73's from Dublin, Ireland.

W2DWL Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2012 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this HT for more than a yr, and have not had any problems. It has a better receive than my Icom HT. And using a hand mic has a better audio than my other HTs. I have programmed this radio manually and have found it easy to do. This is a very reliable
Amateur radio

F4DYT Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2012 01:33 Send this review to a friend
Very good value for your money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have this radio since three months, and it is my
first radio of this type.

Motivation for purchase was price and curiosity. Without a price under 100 euros, I would never have spent money on a handheld VHF transceiver just for exploring this type of radio.

With it, I have done QSOs in the 2m band, both in single channel mode (145.4500 MHz here in France) and using a relay in the Marseille region.

My signal was reported as weak but still understandable. This was expected as in all cases transmission conditions were not optimal, and I transmitted with only 5W.

The manual is "user-feindlich" as Germans like to say, just good enough for starting. With the help of volunteers who wrote better introductory manuals (downloaded from a distributor site in the US) I could finally understand what am I doing. Thank you to all of them.

The scanning feature is rather slow, although you can program channels and scan those channels instead of continously scanning the spectrum.

The loudspeaker is just good enough, the use of earphones greatly improves audio quality.

The commercial FM reception feature is very useful for me.

Battery life is adequate. However, if you forget to turn it off, the radio does not suspend service at low battery levels, to preserve battery chemistry. Twice my battery went flat. This is not good at all.

The SMA connector is not a problem, since for a few euros you can buy an SMA to BNC adaptor.

Did not receive yet the programming cable, as soon as I will receive it I will publish an update.

W0NQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2012 07:28 Send this review to a friend
A Killer Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine over a year without a hitch. Just now thinking I might like to add a gain antenna to it, $13.00 isn't much of a gamble. I love this thing. Programming, as most will attest to is, well, ok. You have to figure your own offsets & such but that's no biggie. Once it's programed it will stand up against any Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood HT I have had. Less bells and whistles but everything you need. Buy one, they are a great value.

VE3KNT Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2011 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having bought my Wouxun HT well over a year ago, I think I'm now qualified to write my little review of it.
I was the first ham in my area to get one of these inexpensive dual band radios. I bought it on eBay direct from Hong Kong with the USB programing cable option. It took 8 days to get here, and came registered mail.
Over all I'm happy with it. There are a few down sides, I don't care for the SMA connector for the antenna, so I have an adapter on it to use BNC antennas, so when I get in my car I can pop the rubber ducky I bought for it off, and connect it to the mag mount whip that I put on the trunk of the car.
If there's an incoming signal some buttons don't respond until the signal is gone again. I've also found the if you program it by computer (and that is the best way to program it) you can not make changes to the programmed channels on the fly. Also,there's no easy with to switch from low to high power easily. You'd probably be best to have two separate entries if you want a low and high power setting for a certain frequency.

The built in white LED flashlight is handy, so it the FM broadcast receive radio, although the sound quality of music is not great, but that not the main purpose of this radio. It sounds good on the air, and since I got mine, server other locals have bough them now, after hearing mine on the air.

So it's not perfect, but a dual band radio for this price can't be beat. And I would recommend it.

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2011 01:31 Send this review to a friend
good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this h/h as my base radio for the last few months, having sold my FT 736r, and to be honest for local qso's and repeaters I find it does all I need of a 2m fm rig. I do find the menu hard to get around but I also suffer from this affliction on most radios today.
5/5 for value, 4/5 for ease of use once the memories are sorted.

N2PLI Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2011 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Its okay but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi I just finally recieved my Wouxun HT Iam giving it a 5 star rating only because it was a great value for the price and its capable of gmrs transmit stock.Its hard to program I still havent figured how to save a channel to the memory.And the tone scan funcntion is hard to use. nice display will have follow up review in 6 months

NL7SX Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2011 20:47 Send this review to a friend
lightweight 1 1/4m and 2m ht  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Challenge to hand program but doable. Speakermike very useful (low cost). Bigger battery worth buying (low cost). Must carry the carrel/charger to do mobile recharge (12v). One disadvantage is that dust can get under the window for the display of the KG-UVD1. FM (88-108) receive band a little flakey but usable. Good belt clip.

K2XDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2011 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great value and more  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This little HT still amazes me!. I am with a c.e.r.t. team and a member of a volunteer ambulance squad. The beauty about this HT is being able to utilize it on the emergency frequencies and use it on the ham bands on a daily basis. It transmits on the upper UHF 470-480 with a low swr. The build quality is more then I expected. Its no Motorola but I would put it up against a Kenwood TH-F6 any day. I am one very happy consumer and plan on purchasing the 2m 220 version. My one wish is that they made a 2m, 220, 440 triband version.