Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UVD1 Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UVD1
Wouxun KG-UVD1 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $149.99
Description: 136-174MHz & 400-470MHz Dual display, dual receive.
More info: http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/KG-UVD1.htm

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UVD1.

KQ4XB Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2010 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only owned this radio a few days. Bought two of them. One radio came with an out of alignment channel select knob which causes it to bind through 180 degrees of it's rotation.

Despite the one flaw, my initial impressions of the radios are very good. Audio on both transmit and receive are very good. The manual appears fairly decent compared with other HTs I've owned. This is contrary to what I've read on the web before purchasing the radios.

Audio, both transmit and receive are very good. Although it does not have a dual receiver, it works very well at monitoring two channels at the same time. My wife and I have found the radio easy to use, but we did program it with the accompanying software.

The USB data cable used to program the computer requires a driver so that WINDOWS 7 can operate it. The driver (in the Vista directory) that comes with the radio is not the correct driver. This caused a bunch of frustration. The obvious driver on the web site does not work either. However, through the instructions(at website) there is an explanation and incorrectly labeled (XP) link which take you to the correct driver. The driver's name is "Vista3200_win7." The USB cable will work with Windows 7.

I've installed it on several computers. The programming software is simple and works without any noted issues.

The reason I've given the radio a 4 instead of a five is due to a quality control issue (channel knob)and improper (NOT Windows 7) driver provided with the package.

The radio represents a great value. I highly recommend it.

KJ6GED Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2010 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Super Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really hate buying Chinese stuff, but I had to take a look at this radio from all the ratings that I read. I have to tell you they were right, this thing is a gem for the price. It compares side by side to the big three in every aspect. It may lack some features, but who cares. Every qso I made, they cannot believe what I'm talking on. Well worth the money. I highly recommend this radio to any amateur operator. With just the rubber ducky I hit repeaters 60 miles away. Unbelievable.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2010 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could not resist. I bought one at the Huntsville Ham Fest for $129 plus tax. Then at the Shelby/Dallas Ham Fest two other US vendors were selling them for $107 and $105. The big battery is cheap. The AA battery box was $8. The programming software is free. It sets up like a commercial LMR radio. The programming is not like the other big 3 HAM HTs. Takes a little time to learn, but learnable. The receiver is very good.

One good aside about having to figure out your own "splits", you can program a VHF freq in the transmitt side of ONE memory and UHF receive in the other side of that same memory. This is great for Satellite work!

NR7J Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2010 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall a good radio for the money. The only problem my TX audio sounds muffled.
Is it just mine? Will an external mic improve the audio?
Also, did anyone used the CTCSS Scan ? (Menu 30)

KB6DOL Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2010 11:33 Send this review to a friend
The Lil Engine that COULD  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I acquired my Wouxun KG-UVD1P HT on a comment from a fellow ham who said "look at this!" I did and could not believe the ammenities vs price ratio so I broke down and bought one. It has now replaced my other ham/commercial HTs.
I love this little rascle. It does exactly what I need for both business band (IG) and ham as a biproduct. Remember, it is FCC-certified under Part 90 and not as a ham radio.
The spare battery is a hot 1700mAh Li-ion battery that simply lasts all day long. Where can you get a battery like that for $20?
I recommend this radio to all my friends. Try it; you'll like it. I promise.

GM1MQE Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2010 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this set in the UK from Martin Lynch and have spent a week reviewing. It is EXCELLENT value for money. The only minor niggle is the covert earpiece has poor sound level even with the volume up full. The only thing it is missing is AM and airband coverage. The accessories are great value too compared to the other big names, eg Alinco, Yaesu etc. If you get the optional software and cable then you might have trouble getting the USB driver working with Windows 7, I had to try over 20 different versions to get one to work. This has been passed back to the factory by Martin Lynch.

KC2JWF Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2010 02:10 Send this review to a friend
This is a very good radio at a very good price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The WOUXUN hand held Model KG-UVD1 is a very good transceiver.
It cost $98.43+$16.50 shipping. I received it after 10 days. It comes with a high gain antenna,a 7.4 V 1400 mAh Li-ion battery pack, an intelligent charger, a spring clip belt clip, a car charger cigarette lighter plug,headset and a programming software. I was able to reach Nassau county from E 13th St,in Manhattan via a repeater. The audio output was terrific.it has good selectivity and sensitivity. The workmanship is comparable to ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu. It is a terrific bargain for the price.

EASTERNTRAVELER Rating: 2/5 Jan 16, 2010 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Cheap radio NOT a ham radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the price it is a good radio. A ham radio it is not. Don't buy from the company direct. You will get a surprise when importing it. Also if you buy it from overseas, consider it a disposable radio. When it tears up, you either fix it or trash it. If you buy it from hamzone usa or one of the other USA dealers they will warranty it for you. So be careful how you buy it.

N6SJM Rating: 3/5 Jan 16, 2010 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Surprised this radio has received so many great reviews  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am surprised so many here have given this radio such high marks. Don't get me wrong, for the price, you should buy two or three of these radios. But after a few days of using this radio it's obvious that this is not a radio designed for Amateur use. While it covers the ham bands, this was obviously designed as a general purpose transceiver for Chinese commercial and public service work. Typical ham functions like switch to VFO, dual VFO operation, entering repeater offsets, etc., are all tedious if not impossible. The manual is an Engrish joke. This wouldn't be bad if it was quite literally impossible to understand the intent of the instructions on important aspects of operation/programming.

Yes, it TX/RX well on the ham bands. Batteries are cheap and have long life. It can be programmed quickly with the USB cable and software. It's cheap. So buy one. But a great ham HT it's not.

VE1VOX Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2009 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Fun Handheld!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After researching this little radio I thought I would see if it was all true. It is! Audio is great, the build quality seems very good. Lots of accessories are available at excellent prices. I do recommend buying the programming cable since it makes programming a snap. The FM broadcast is a nice feature with the ability to program preset channels and of course everyone needs a flashlight in a radio:) The VFOs can be set to have one showing channel by name and the other by frequency. The Chinese voice option is interesting also. Serious radio, I think so, serious fun I know so. And it can all be had for approximately $100. You can't go wrong. Shipping from Hong Kong to qth, 2 weeks.