Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | W9INN HI-PERFORMANCE DIPOLES Help

Reviews Summary for W9INN HI-PERFORMANCE DIPOLES
Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $125
Description: W9INN custom manufactures multiband wire dipoles that WORK! MPD-2 model is 105 ft. covers both 80 and 40 meters. Other models available.
W9INN SK. No longer in business.

You can write your own review of the W9INN HI-PERFORMANCE DIPOLES.

W5HLM Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2002 22:05 Send this review to a friend
W9INN MDX-8C Hideaway Dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this antenna a few days ago, and must admit, I was a bit intimidated at first because of how complicated it looked when I pulled it from the box. I sat down and read the instructions twice the night before I had planned to put it up, and everything became much more clear. I had the antenna laid out, the spreaders in place, and ready to pull up in less than an hour.

The components appear to be of excellent quality. Each one is custom built to your specifications, and the quality of workmanship is outstanding.

After I had mine up, I used my MFJ Antenna analyzer to check the antenna. The SWR was high across most of the bands, especially 10 meters. The instructions had mentioned that they are usually tuned on the high side, since it?s very easy to bring the resonant points down with the ?tuning stubs? (which are nothing more than short pieces of wire connected to the resonactors.) I had to put stubs on the ten meter and the 17 meter resonactors, and it not only brought the SWR into line on those bands, but all the rest as well.

The antenna is now showing very low SWR across all bands. But how does it work? QSOs with my brother in Springfield, MO from my QTH in Houston had always been marginal. His first signal report on the new antenna on 40 meters was 20 over! Yes, I know the bands and conditions change and make it hard to compare apples to apples, but I?ve been talking all over with this in just a few short days and getting great reports across the board.

For the skeptics out there, yes, it does work. Yes, it?s worth the wait. And yes, it?s well worth the money! Thanks, Bill, for a wonderful antenna. I think I?ll buy another one just to have as a spare!

73 and Good DX!
Haskell Moore, W5HLM

KF3DG Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2001 01:58 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently put up the 87" long 10-80 dipole,I was a little skeptical before I put it up,but I'm sold on this antenna. Works great,I get same sig reports on 75 mtrs that I got with a full sized antenna. Original plans were to put this up as a temporary antenna(moved to a new qth),and then put up a full size ant. for 75, but nixed those plans.Going to order the 170" 160&80 ant.,and use with the 10-80 antenna for all bands(except warc,need tuner). Overall a great performer,easy to put up(me and a buddy did mine in the dark with a flashlight),and looks like it will last a long time(good quality const). Highly reccommend. 73 KF3DG

K6DPB Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2001 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Worth every Nickle!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and operated the Short 160-10
Meter Dipole for over 10 Years. The antenna
has continued to perform today as when it was first installed. Only 12 months ago did I retire it to a box in the garage after moving to a new
QTH with over 5 Acres and some tall trees that now
support a full length 1/2 wave Fan Dipole for 160-10 Meters based on the W9INN design. What a surprise! About the only thing I gained for my efforts was some bandwidth on the lower frequencies.

If your looking for a Great all band dipole and have limited space the W9INN is worth every nickle.

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2001 14:12 Send this review to a friend
good antenna works as he said it would  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The model is the HPD-3 good for 160-80 and 40 meters...125 feet long...mountd at 55 feet on my tower only 2 feet below the TH6DXX and the 40 meter beam 10 feet above the TH6DXX..the antenna went up easily and works ALL bands with the tuner on my FT1000D...SWR is not always great on the bands it wasn't set up for, but is no problem with SWR...works DX fine on 80 and 160 and when I use it on 40 which is not often with the 2 el beam up...the frequencies I selected were for the most part right on the money, on 160 I had tto do a little pruning but was no big deal...antenna is a little narrow on 160 about 30 KCS..but here again the tuner takes care of it...also on 80 about 50 KCS wide..set for SSB and the MT-3000A tuner takes care of it on CW Have worked 20 countries in a month on 80 some europe from Montana with good reports..I work DX mainly and on 160 if I can hear it I can usually work it...good all around antenna for a guy on a 60X150 foot lot...K7ABV I would recomend it... have had this antenna for 2 months..

N0FG Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2000 10:13 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned their 87 ft multi band 10-80 dipole for a while now and find it's performance to be quite good, especially on 80meters.I was a bit skeptical on wheter it would function well on the lower bands due to it's short length, but I find myself not needing to fire up the amplifier to be heard well . Excellant antenna!!!!

N9VV Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2000 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my W9INN MPD-5 up for 6 months. It replaced a 40M Carolina Windom. For QRP using PSK-20 and PSK-80 it is working far beyond my expectations. I am feeding it with 50' of RG58U (all I could get through the hole in the wall) and it still works FB. It has especially quiet RX on 80M. I would recommend it. Still the QST ad with the smallest type :-)
dit dit
de Ken N9VV

AB7SL Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2000 01:13 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my MPD-5C 78 ft model up at 52 ft going on 5 years. It takes my 800W signal all day long with no trouble. I have worked over 280 DXCC countries with it. It was very easy to install and comes almost completely assembled and pre-tuned according to your instructions. It is tunable and uses a W2AU ceneter connector as well. It shows no signs of ever giving out. I have a link for W9INN antennas on the Ham Radio Links Page of my site. http://www.ab7sl.com

W3HD Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2000 22:03 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE A 80-40M DIPOLE VERY GOOD

AC5DK Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2000 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We did an exhaustive search for a wire antenna to cover 80 and 40 meters for our local EOC at the county's new 911 center. We had a set of criteria to work from of what the antenna must do. And for cost, aesthetic, coverage and performance, the W9INN seemed to be the way to go. And for me personnally, the information that comes with the antenna was worth the price alone. When we couldn't get the antenna tuned up properly and called on the phone for help, we found the customer service was first rate too. He referrred us to the instructions on imbalance. I have been a ham 20 years and built many a dipole but never understood this aspect of wire antennas... until now! Bottom line... when K5BAX showed up on the air with the properly tuned antenna the reports were 20 and 40 dB over S9 from both instate and out. And being an EOC the instate was the really important one.
We cannot be more pleased.

Kevin Manzer AC5DK
ARRL Technical Specialist
Arkansas Section

K2CF Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2000 04:15 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
w9inn dipoles are good used the one cut for 160 80
40 able to operate all bands with great signal plus good customer relations from him