Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | RT Systems Help

Reviews Summary for RT Systems
RT Systems Reviews: 96 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Radio programming software for a variety of Yaesu and Icom hand held and mobile radios.
More info: http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/index.cfm

You can write your own review of the RT Systems.

W2RIK Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2015 13:24 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using their s/w since 1987 to program my Icom W-32A and yesterday I needed to call their Tech Support.

EXCELLENT! The product and support is stellar.

KA3YAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 09:33 Send this review to a friend
A huge time saver for multiple radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using RT Systems cables and software for a number of years now with great success. My first purchase was for an IC-7000. Then I purchased a IC-92AD and with a new cable and software, was able to use the same database. Then I traded up for an IC-756ProIII. Great radio, and with a new software I was able to use my same IC-7000 (RTS-01) cable and the same shared database that I was using for the IC-7000 and IC-92AD. The I purchased a Kenwood TH-D710A for my car. Of course the interface cable was different, so with a new cable and software I could use the same database that I used with all of my other radios. The VHF/UHF frequencies popped right over no problem.

I could go on and on. I change radios frequently as I trade up and down for something different. Each time I've purchased the cable (if needed) and software from RT Systems and have never been disappointed. Such a great company to deal with too. Anytime I've had an issue, it was immediately addressed by customer support. Thanks Domenic, Sean, Patrick & Karin...all who have helped me when I had questions.

Another perk is that most of the RT Systems cables also act as CAT/C-IV cables for radios that support computer control. No need to worry about making sure you have a USB-to-serial cable with the correct chipset. The RT Systems cables work out of the box with the RT Systems software.

KE7FEH Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2015 02:56 Send this review to a friend
5 1/2 Stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must say this is the first time I have purchased Windows based programming software that works so well and flawless. It is very well organized and they have thought out all the features needed. The service and delivery was fast too.

KK6SWZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 25, 2015 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Decent Program - Annoying Install - dd to the rescue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this software / cable for a yaesu 857d, to program in a mobile environment with a windows 8.1 2 in 1 that is installed in the truck in tablet form.

As has been pointed out in prior review, the DRM for this software is ridiculous for modern times. For those of us (I would like to think a growing number) who use tablets or compact (2 in 1) computers that don't have a DVD drive, there is no way to actually install the software. As, without going into too much detail about the why, the original DVD is required for install. You cannot use a network shared drive from another computer (I tried using a macbook, but the serial would not authorize, perhaps a windows machine would work, but I doubt it). Neither can you simply copy the disk image to a thumb drive to install.

What DOES work (and can be used for archival purposes to the reviewers post a couple down), is to clone the original disk block-by-block, which requires more effort than a typical GUI disk image copy.

There are different ways to accomplish this. What worked for me, was to use the unix dd command.

HOW TO DO THIS (Using terminal in OS X 10.6.8, although the process is similar for any unix environment):

1. Enter "diskutil list" and find the /dev/disk[]s0 that corresponds to the RT Systems DVD (In my case, called ADMS-4B)
2. Enter "dd if=/dev/disk4s0 of=~/Desktop/ADMS-4B.iso bs=512 conv=noerror,sync", where disk4s0 corresponds to the DVD located in the previous step, and ~/Desktop/ADMS-4B.iso corresponds to the name and location as to where the ISO will be saved. FYI: conv=noerror,sync forces the command to keep running (instead of dumping) if there is an error. You may still be able to recover a working iso from a damaged disk using this command, as the full length of the original data is preserved.
3. Copy that ISO to a thumb drive, or transfer to your non-DVD drive computer, and install as usual.

I hope this saves someone the headache and couple hours it took me to figure this out. Be warned - things can go wrong using the command line. If you reverse the source and target, bad things can happen.

K1DWZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2015 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Need more attention to updates  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered software for a Baofeng . After receiving it it wouldn't work Called the help line and come to find out they sent me an older version of the software which was not compatable with my radio. I had to download the updated version from the internet.They should have been more carefull and have sent me the correct version to begin with. It works well now.

K1DWZ

K4LIX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2015 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Product Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in 2012 I purchased the TS-590S programming/control software and USB cable. Recently acquired the newer TS-590SG and RT Systems upgraded my older software to the new SG program, didn't need another cable, for FREE and very fast. Great customer support from my point of view.

K2WO Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2015 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Ther Best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've got the RT Systems Software for both my IC-7100 and ID-51A. I can't imagine anything better, especially with the new features added that incorporate RFinder. It is almost a seamless interface with RFinder that allows for programming Repeaters from the RFinder database. It works great.

W2CYK Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 15:43 Send this review to a friend
New integrated RFinder Routing Function  Time owned: more than 12 months
Check this out...Rod did a GREAT job incorporating this...just put in start end end points, waypoints on your trip and magically all the repeaters along the route show up and you can write them into your radio!

WB4SIA Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2015 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent customer support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a couple of issue getting the latest software release of ID-51Plus Programmer running (Version 5.00.09). Minor development hiccups but left me without a few features. Contacted RT Systems via phone and Karin walked me through a couple of fixes, took remote control of my PC, fixed what was a idiot mistake on my part, updated their software, updated my DV repeater list, added a new D-STAR repeater at my request AND reloaded my radio. All now seem to be working well and I learned a great deal. More to learn but Karin gave me a huge head-start. I must rate their product and service right up there with Elecraft. Great companies to work with. Tnx N0RTX and staff!

KD0TNH Rating: 3/5 Feb 11, 2015 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Software - Horrible DRM  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good software. Good Support. Poor Software Distribution and Serial Number Management Policy.

I will start by saying that I have three different copies of this software so I must think it's the best of the bunch. But as soon as somebody else comes along with something decent, I'll jump ship simply because, in this day and age, putting people through all the hoops they do to guard their precious serial numbers and DRM is inexcusable. I don't want to deal with DVD's anymore. If you opt to download the software, guess what? You'll be forced to burn a DVD and then return to their site with a hash to generate a key for that particular installation and then return to that DVD that you burned and install from it. The machine blows up and you have to reinstall... Who knows, I'll go back to their site and generate another key and hopefully it works. What if they go out of business and I can't generate a new key? Putting the burden on the customer to force the burning of DVD's to store some place safe and all the rigamarole with hashed serial numbers is just bad business and done ever more rarely. There is a reason for that.

On a positive note, I had a problem installing in a virtual machine on a Mac. They immediately answered the phone, knew what to do and had me running in about 10 minutes. Kudos to the Support guy.