Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | RT Systems Help

Reviews Summary for RT Systems
RT Systems Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Radio programming software for a variety of Yaesu and Icom hand held and mobile radios.
More info: http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/index.cfm

You can write your own review of the RT Systems.

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2014 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Good Software Great customer servoce  Time owned: more than 12 months
I decided to upgrade the software for one of my radios from ver3.xx to ver4.xx. Unfortunately the old cable is not compatible with the new version. RT systems told my of their upgrade program. Destroy the old disc,send a picture and get 25% off a new cable and software. I emailed the picture Sunday evening. I called and spoke to them at about 0930 Monday. They were aware of the email and took my order. By noon, I had an email conformation of my order and conformation that it had shipped. Delivery is expected by Thur. I could not ask for better service. Now I can integrate programming of all my radios via the RT Systems software.

K0ZRK Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2014 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use RT Systems software to program my Kenwood and Icom VHF/UHF rigs. It's easy to set up and easy to use. I can copy and paste a file from one rig to another, so it's my memory channels are in the same order when using a different rig. The only time I had any problem programming a radio, RT Systems spent a half hour with me on the phone, then sent me two (2) more programming cables to make sure the cable wasn't the problem. The problem turned out to be in the rig, which had to be sent back to the factory for warranty repair. Their software and cables are great, and the support is over the moon.

KD5KTX Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the years, I have had five or more RTS programs, from floppy discs to DVD. I have never had a problem and they allow me to transfer data between my Icom, Yaesu, and cheap Chinese HT's without a problem. I find the cables to be high quality. I see guys spend thousands on radios, but nothing for software. They use cheap cables with pirated chips and free programs that are labor intensive. I am not a computer guru. I just like easy to use programs that work.

K7UPJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2014 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Lacking capability  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the RT systems software for use with my IC-7100 and am disappointed. I have prior experience with DSTAR on my ID-880H and ID-51A so this is not my first time working with DSTAR programming. Overall, the software does provide the capability for setting up but does not make it any easier than the ICOM software. The most aggravating shortcoming is the inability to save program files in the ICOM .icf format, even though it can read those files. This means that you cannot program using the SD card, you are forced to use the cable. It is so much easier with the ID-51A and the SD card with the ICOM software. Since I plan to travel a lot, I don't want to carry yet another cable around. RT says they are thinking about adding this capability but don't have a date. Since they can already read the .icf form it would seem a simple thing to write to that format. If I had known about the lack of this capability I would not have bought the software.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 10:57 Send this review to a friend
GREAT software {:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We used the RT Systems software to program both my ICOM 2820H & ICOM 91AD & it was no problem.I would buy their software again for another rig if needed & I recommend it to others for easy of programming their rigs in a few minutes. {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

K1AVE Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I upgraded to the USB versions of the FT-817, VX-6R and FT-7800 software several years ago and they all work smoothly on my Win XP PC and Win 7 laptop for on the road use. Had a little startup issue and was guided via the phone to a solution - (they called me!).
Also using the ARRL repeater database program and importing the list - easy to do.
Fine products - excellent Support.

W6CAW Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 08:25 Send this review to a friend
No problems here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 5 versions of RT software from the old serial days to the newer USB versions. Never had a problem or a "bug". I do not like that they have obsoleted the serial support but I guess you have to make a profit in this limited Ham market?

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Super Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three (3) separate RT System's programming software systems, because I have three (3) radios: HF, VHF & portable handheld 2/440 rig. They all work perfect with no problems in any of them.

I first tried the software on my 2-M rig (V8000) about 7-years ago; never any problems.

Because of my good fortune, I acquired programming software for both, my HF rig (IC-7410)and my hand held portable 2/440 rig (Baofeng 5R).

I use all the rigs and never any problems in programming; they all continue to operate just as I programmed them :)

Ken KC8Y

N2HUC Rating: 0/5 Dec 8, 2013 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Buggy Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I’ll tell you the truth. This is the worst software I have ever invested money and TIME in. There are so many bugs that I can’t even begin to document them all. You have to really check close at all the fields and menu settings that get screwed up to really say you are qualified to do a proper review. The “fanboys” failed to catch the bugs and report them HERE. This software is a joke and a ripoff. And I’m not going to be a developer’s beta tester. I’m not here paying for your software so I can help you to get it working right. You should do that yourself and release a WORKING product!

My first bad experience was with the IC-7000 software, where duplex settings for my memory channels turn on/off without notice. I went to use some duplex channels and the settings were turned off by the software (or on with some simplex channels). What the #3[[ is that? Menu items don’t get transferred completely (so why even address them if it is not going to transfer?). Doing programming directly on the radio is much easier than auditing this buggy software, so it is almost completely useless to even use the software. That was bad experience ONE, and all the updates did not help.

I bought several RT Systems programs for D-STAR radios because I have to write to nearly all of the memory channels in each model and need to do updates as D-STAR changes often (growing quickly). I started noticing bank assignment were changing on me without my direction. Wait a minute! I laid out a perfect order for my banks and now this junk software is changing my plan on it’s own? Change one bank number and another channel is changing somewhere else? And every time I went to fix one section, another would change without me knowing until I audited it. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get the order I wanted. It wouldn’t even take some numbers that were open for assignment! Then all the menu settings were not there, and the ones that were did not translate to the radio. Wait…two files for one radio because the menu settings are in a different file?? And even then it doesn’t work right??? What kind of garbage is this???? And I can’t even change a PL tone or DPL (fields gray out) unless I first toggle it on for that mode????? No problem doing that with Icom software. I spent many wasted HOURS, if not DAYS trying to get this junk software to work, and I finally couldn’t get it to play right. YOU CAN’T TRUST THIS SOFTWARE. It just won’t do what I tell it to do. I mean, how hard is it to write simple clean software? And you charge money for this garbage??

In stark contrast, I can fully trust Icom’s software and switched to it for all my Icom radios. Much of it was FREE, and what was not free was fairly inexpensive. NEVER a problem with Icom software. So, if you write hundreds of memory channels, and actually customize radio menu settings to get the most out of your radio equipment and depend on it being done right, do yourself a favor and stay FAR AWAY from RT Systems software. To their credit, I do like their USB cables (even if the housings fall apart and need a tie wrap to hold them together), but that is all. At least the drivers work (so far).

Now you have a real review from someone who has done commercial radio programming that had to be right or people might have died. I depend on the software to do what I tell it to do…and not change what I have set so it becomes unstable, unusable, or wastes my time. Shame on RT Systems!

K7IN Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Works Every Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several different pieces of RT Systems programming software over the years and have never had an issue with any of them including a very recent purchase. Some of the low ratings are due to people expecting the software to do something that it was not intended to do. Or, their own computers are the problem. Read these as a skeptic since the bad reviews are not always what they claim.

Always read the capabilities of the program and if your questions aren't answered, contact them with your questions before you buy. Yes, buying their very reasonably priced cables is money well spent when compared to the El Cheapo junk for cheap prices that come from China.

RT Systems cables are normally larger size conductors in the cable and much more durable. The 'proprietary' cables are used because they work right and they are made to last a long time under normal use.

I stopped buying the 'cheap' cables a long time ago after most of them failed with just a few uses because they produce their products to the minimum usable cost so as to have a functional product and the lowest price around. Bottom line is that you usually get what you pay for.