Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | RT Systems Help

Reviews Summary for RT Systems
RT Systems Reviews: 80 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Radio programming software for a variety of Yaesu and Icom hand held and mobile radios.
More info: http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/index.cfm

You can write your own review of the RT Systems.

K7UPJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2014 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Lacking capability  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the RT systems software for use with my IC-7100 and am disappointed. I have prior experience with DSTAR on my ID-880H and ID-51A so this is not my first time working with DSTAR programming. Overall, the software does provide the capability for setting up but does not make it any easier than the ICOM software. The most aggravating shortcoming is the inability to save program files in the ICOM .icf format, even though it can read those files. This means that you cannot program using the SD card, you are forced to use the cable. It is so much easier with the ID-51A and the SD card with the ICOM software. Since I plan to travel a lot, I don't want to carry yet another cable around. RT says they are thinking about adding this capability but don't have a date. Since they can already read the .icf form it would seem a simple thing to write to that format. If I had known about the lack of this capability I would not have bought the software.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 10:57 Send this review to a friend
GREAT software {:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We used the RT Systems software to program both my ICOM 2820H & ICOM 91AD & it was no problem.I would buy their software again for another rig if needed & I recommend it to others for easy of programming their rigs in a few minutes. {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

K1AVE Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
I upgraded to the USB versions of the FT-817, VX-6R and FT-7800 software several years ago and they all work smoothly on my Win XP PC and Win 7 laptop for on the road use. Had a little startup issue and was guided via the phone to a solution - (they called me!).
Also using the ARRL repeater database program and importing the list - easy to do.
Fine products - excellent Support.

W6CAW Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 08:25 Send this review to a friend
No problems here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 5 versions of RT software from the old serial days to the newer USB versions. Never had a problem or a "bug". I do not like that they have obsoleted the serial support but I guess you have to make a profit in this limited Ham market?

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Super Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three (3) separate RT System's programming software systems, because I have three (3) radios: HF, VHF & portable handheld 2/440 rig. They all work perfect with no problems in any of them.

I first tried the software on my 2-M rig (V8000) about 7-years ago; never any problems.

Because of my good fortune, I acquired programming software for both, my HF rig (IC-7410)and my hand held portable 2/440 rig (Baofeng 5R).

I use all the rigs and never any problems in programming; they all continue to operate just as I programmed them :)

Ken KC8Y

N2HUC Rating: 0/5 Dec 8, 2013 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Buggy Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I’ll tell you the truth. This is the worst software I have ever invested money and TIME in. There are so many bugs that I can’t even begin to document them all. You have to really check close at all the fields and menu settings that get screwed up to really say you are qualified to do a proper review. The “fanboys” failed to catch the bugs and report them HERE. This software is a joke and a ripoff. And I’m not going to be a developer’s beta tester. I’m not here paying for your software so I can help you to get it working right. You should do that yourself and release a WORKING product!

My first bad experience was with the IC-7000 software, where duplex settings for my memory channels turn on/off without notice. I went to use some duplex channels and the settings were turned off by the software (or on with some simplex channels). What the #3[[ is that? Menu items don’t get transferred completely (so why even address them if it is not going to transfer?). Doing programming directly on the radio is much easier than auditing this buggy software, so it is almost completely useless to even use the software. That was bad experience ONE, and all the updates did not help.

I bought several RT Systems programs for D-STAR radios because I have to write to nearly all of the memory channels in each model and need to do updates as D-STAR changes often (growing quickly). I started noticing bank assignment were changing on me without my direction. Wait a minute! I laid out a perfect order for my banks and now this junk software is changing my plan on it’s own? Change one bank number and another channel is changing somewhere else? And every time I went to fix one section, another would change without me knowing until I audited it. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get the order I wanted. It wouldn’t even take some numbers that were open for assignment! Then all the menu settings were not there, and the ones that were did not translate to the radio. Wait…two files for one radio because the menu settings are in a different file?? And even then it doesn’t work right??? What kind of garbage is this???? And I can’t even change a PL tone or DPL (fields gray out) unless I first toggle it on for that mode????? No problem doing that with Icom software. I spent many wasted HOURS, if not DAYS trying to get this junk software to work, and I finally couldn’t get it to play right. YOU CAN’T TRUST THIS SOFTWARE. It just won’t do what I tell it to do. I mean, how hard is it to write simple clean software? And you charge money for this garbage??

In stark contrast, I can fully trust Icom’s software and switched to it for all my Icom radios. Much of it was FREE, and what was not free was fairly inexpensive. NEVER a problem with Icom software. So, if you write hundreds of memory channels, and actually customize radio menu settings to get the most out of your radio equipment and depend on it being done right, do yourself a favor and stay FAR AWAY from RT Systems software. To their credit, I do like their USB cables (even if the housings fall apart and need a tie wrap to hold them together), but that is all. At least the drivers work (so far).

Now you have a real review from someone who has done commercial radio programming that had to be right or people might have died. I depend on the software to do what I tell it to do…and not change what I have set so it becomes unstable, unusable, or wastes my time. Shame on RT Systems!

K7IN Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Works Every Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several different pieces of RT Systems programming software over the years and have never had an issue with any of them including a very recent purchase. Some of the low ratings are due to people expecting the software to do something that it was not intended to do. Or, their own computers are the problem. Read these as a skeptic since the bad reviews are not always what they claim.

Always read the capabilities of the program and if your questions aren't answered, contact them with your questions before you buy. Yes, buying their very reasonably priced cables is money well spent when compared to the El Cheapo junk for cheap prices that come from China.

RT Systems cables are normally larger size conductors in the cable and much more durable. The 'proprietary' cables are used because they work right and they are made to last a long time under normal use.

I stopped buying the 'cheap' cables a long time ago after most of them failed with just a few uses because they produce their products to the minimum usable cost so as to have a functional product and the lowest price around. Bottom line is that you usually get what you pay for.

NI6G Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2013 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Very Plesant Experience  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Please alllow me to preface this Review by stating that I am not negating recent, less-than-stellar ratings.

My experience with RT Systems has been suprisingly pleasant.

Inititally, I purchased a software and cable package for the Yaesu VX-177R directly from RT Systems via telephone.

With a confidence-inspiring, upbeat, timbre, and deportment; not usually encounterred: the woman (regretfully, I can not recall her name) was professional and initmately familiar with every curent RT Systems Products of most update liineage.

As such, I bought more than inititally seeking due to the saleswoman's acumen and encouraging disposition.

Therefore, I sponteanesouly expanded my order, which she happly accepted with a wonderful attitude, quick expediency, and gratitude: to inlcude: the software and cable kit for a TM-V71A; and, although, I don't do much traveling; I added the ARRL 2013-2014 Travel Plus for Repeaters (TM) "Includes the entire ARRL Database".

Really, I was intending to merely "dip my toe in the waters" but am very pleaed with my dealings with RT Stytems. I run Safari 6.0.5, Sea Lion Mozilla, Mountain Lion OS X, 6MB RAM on a mid-2007 iMac; and, a Power Spec PC with a 2.3 GHz Intel processor, too.

No need to run RCA Super Elf II with Cosmat Space-Hardened 1802, greeen monochrone display, 74LS367 Tri-State Hex Buffer, NXP LPC 1768, MSP430, Arduino Nano, Rasberry Pi, Osborne 1, or K&L DeciLog.

Didn't even have to pull out all the fancy DB-9 to USB cables with blinking LEDS out of my drawer,

I'll do business wtih RT Again. No hesitations.

VK3ATX Rating: 1/5 Aug 10, 2013 05:54 Send this review to a friend
RT sysems not user friendly  Time owned: more than 12 months
RT systems over rated hard to deal with time consuming when I bought a second software it took 5 day to get the donwload, when I finely got the software, the cable that was supplied with the first software did not work they denied supplying that first cable.
OK they want $30 dollars for the cable but they want $68 dollars for postage I refuse to pay this ridicules amount and they refuse to help me any further even though I have the software fully paid fore.
there are three other software producers out that I now of and they all outperform RT systems.
CHIRP , G4HFQ , other Chinese

K2AFY Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Products  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using RT Systems Yaesu programmers for several years. The progamers are intuitive and serve my needs well.

I noticed they added ICOM control cables for the IC-718 and ordered one. The RTS01 cable solved all my problems with controlling my IC-718 since upgrading to windows 7 64 bit.

Some here have complained that you have to use the proprietary cables. I do not see that as an issue since their drivers work. Haven't had a BSOD since i have installed the RTS01 cable.