Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | RRC-1258 Help

Reviews Summary for RRC-1258
RRC-1258 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $470
Description: A system designed to connect the front panel of a ICOM-IC70x, Kenwood TS-480 or similar to the radio unit over the internet. Normal CAT /CI-V operation with 2-way sound is also possible.
More info: http://www.remoterig.com

You can write your own review of the RRC-1258.

HB9ODP Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2009 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice quality with a Kenwood TS-480, no delay. Real... real time remote radio. I use the 2nd RS232 to connect hamradio deluxe to the radio (only for logging purpose) and a button is connected on the I/O connector to control the remote MFJ-993B automatic antenna tuner (TUNE button)

SV5BYR Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2009 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Incredible!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great idea....
in few minutes out of box it turns your imagination on. Very nice quality of audio and flexible operation without PC. You make your adjastments only one time and you forget it....
Tnx Michael

SV5BYR

SM7MMJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2009 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Remote control made easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just finished the assembly of my two RRC-1258s and the are currently running here on my lab bench togheter with my IC-706 Mk2G. It is quite easy to install and commision, the only detail which can be tricky is to resolder the Icom OPC-581 cable to the RJ-45 cable, but with a little patience it will come togheter nicely.

I have been running my TS-2000 remote using two computers and Ham Radio Deluxe before. The RRC-1258 makes this much easier since i no longer will need the computers in order to operate the remote radio.

Next step for me will be to install the rig at the remote site, i do not expect any particular problems.

Best 73s de Kent SM7MMJ

SM2Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2009 03:48 Send this review to a friend
Easy remote setup  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Disclaimer: A friend of mine is the creator of this remote-rig appliance and I was one of the first to test it. I also help him with support issues on the web site but I have no personal economic interest in this product. With that said, here's my short review (there's lots to read at the website).

My setup is: IC-706 (first model) with a 62m G5RV connected to a AH-4 at the club shack. The front panel of the radio is in my home. There are NAT routers and separate Internet service providers involved. The look and feel operating the radio is the same when operating remote as it is when the panel is mounted directly to the radio. Sound quality (there are several codecs to choose from) is excellent when adequate bandwidth is available over the internet. There is also a possibility to choose a high-compressed low-bandwidth GSM codec.

I work SSB / FM / PSK without any problems. I am not a CW operator but it is possible to connect a CW manipulator to the front panel and work CW. If network latency is an issue (PING time more than say 100 ms) you may need turn down the monitor volume on the panel due to the delay.

Setup is easy, most common problem is router / NAT configuration but this has been described in detail at the website.

I used to use HamRadioDeLuxe and Skype before but the RRC-1258 gives me much better audio and the fact that I don't need to keep a computer running at the remote (radio) end is good. The radio can be mounted together with the communications stuff in a heated box which can be placed in a cold hunting cabin or whatever as long as there is a decent internet connection available. Mobile internet has been tested and it will work if the cell isn't too crowded and the delays are reasonable. ADSL/cable is OK. Audio quality settings decide bandwidth requirements.

Andy (SM2Z) in Lapland / Sweden