Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | MFJ-2990 Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-2990 Vertical Antenna
MFJ-2990 Vertical Antenna Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $360
Description: This is a 43 foot self-supporting vertical antenna for 160 to 6 meters with stainless steel hardware and balun.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-2990 Vertical Antenna.

KK4CZT Rating: 0/5 Feb 28, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna just does not work on 160 meter I have 40 radials in the ground plus their extender and this is the worst vertical that I have ever bought or used.

KK4CZT Rating: 2/5 May 4, 2012 17:55 Send this review to a friend
disappointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an MFJ 2990 I seen it advertized as a 160 through 6 meter this antenna will not do 160 meter after hours of talking to tech support and countless other people trying to make this antenna work on 160 meters with 26 radials auto and manual roller ball tuners and four ground rods; no joy, no one at MFJ, Cush Craft or Hi Gain can make it work the thing has become a 359.00 dollar lawn ornament.
It does work 80 through 10 meters I have not tried 6 meters, I bought it for 160 meters that is what I wanted it for so I am very disappointed and dissatisfied.I can only give it a 2 as it did not proform as advertized.

N5VU Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2011 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Quite good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll be short on this review. Some of my reviews on other ham gear are a bit lengthy.

So, here goes. Ground mounted verticals: A vertical antenna that is 1/2 of a dipole, mounted on the ground without it's other half. A ground mounted vertical without a good ground radial system (it's other half) is nothing more than an outside air cooled dummy load.

For any vertical to work properly, it needs a good ground radial system. A good start is 16 radials laying on the ground that are equal to the length of the vertical antenna.

I have 24 radials, 17 of which are 43 feet long and the remainder that fill in the smaller areas of my yard.

Always use a RF choke at the base of the vertical to prevent the coax going into your shack acting like another ground radial. RF does funny things, some are painful.

Oops, I forgot the review,... I can say that it works like any good ground mounted vertical should work. On the first day, I worked the 3XY1D DX group on 30 meters and then TX7M group on 20,17 & 15 meters. I like it a lot!

I haven't owned it long, but I have been hamming and playing with antennas for 35 years, I can recgonize a good one from a bad one. I have always had good luck with any vertical that has a good ground radial system.

Once you get it up on end with a good radial grid, you too will experience the fun of a vertical antenna.

There, that wasn't too long. Was it?

73, God Bless and Great DX! Marcel N5VU (at) yahoo (dot) com

K3ROJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2011 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Same as any 43 foot Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of my 43 foot vertical. there was some confusion when ordering this vertical from HRO since I thought at first it was made by DX Engineering but could not find them listed in their catalog. Anyway it does work as well as any other 43 foot vertical depending on how well the radial system is and the tuner used to load this unusual antenna. I have no idea who made this antenna but it does work somewhat. Using a roller inductor type tuner seems to be a requirement, especially on 160 meter. The other bands work well however and am now using it as a receive only antenna for dual diversity reception.

PG00023016 Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Tuner Location is Important  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using mine for about six or more months. I recently picked up an external autotuner in a trade. I decided to put it at the base of my MFJ-2990. Wow, that helped! I was very surprized at how easily it tunes. I no-longer need the help of an amp to make DX contacts. If you have (or can get) an external tuner for your 43' vertical go for it.