Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Blade Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Blade
Begali Blade Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $255
Description: High-performance straight key based on "Swedish Pump" design
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Blade.

KI5IO Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2016 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary Key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received this great key from another local OM who was downsizing. This is my third Begali key and they are all simply excellent.

This Blade is very solid and smooth to operate. I don't care for the high knob so replaced it with a low 'mushroom' cap with skirt and this just put the icing on the cake (for my operating style).

I've had many straight keys over the years and still have two wonderful and diverse keys that I use along with the Blade ... but the Blade is front and center and is my "go to" key for comfortable Q's.

Begali products just can't be beat ... high quality and Piero and Bruna are simply great to work with for new purchases or support with the keys for any/all questions you may have.

WB5AGF Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2016 12:27 Send this review to a friend
typical Begali perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a Begali 'Blade' CW straight key at the 2016 Dayton Hamvention last week and now, after getting caught up (somewhat) on sleep, will make some comments.

As is the case with the other Begali keys that I have familiarity with (I own a Begali 'Spark' key but no others up until now) the Blade is, essentially, mechanically 'perfect', as well as being a work-of-art (it's beautiful). Even if you don't agree with some design feature the way that it is built is as-good-as-it-gets.

Things noticed about the Begali 'Blade' key :

- The build quality, and finish, are above reproach

- There is a difficult-to-describe synergy between (as best I can tell) the use of the 'Swedish key' style flat-blade pivot and the metal lever arm (not only the material but also the cross-section). The result is that, when pressing the knob, the sensation imparted to (and through) the fingers is that there is a direct connection to the contact surfaces. (This may sound a bit esoteric but once you've experienced it you'll understand.)

I do 'question' the use of the tip (on the opposite end from the knob) of the lever arm as the contact mounting location. I would like to see how using a 'metal tongue', out a bit from the lever arm (as is done on the Danish Amplidan and NT9K keys), would affect the key's 'feel'.

It's a gorgeous key.

- Paul, WB5AGF (25 May 2016)

KD6SX Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2016 07:23 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been sending CW with a straight key since 1958 and this is the best key I have ever used--effortless and relaxing to operate. I agree with the others who have described this key as a work of art. The Begalis are a pleasure to do business with. Bruna often e-mailed me during the process of purchasing and shipping the key. When dealing with the Begalis, you get an exceptional product along with outstanding customer service.

K6ELQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2014 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Superb straight key!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I replaced my trusty J-38 with a Begali Camelback. Nothing wrong with it, very nice key, but I wanted something a little more robust and decided to try the Blade. The spring on the Camelback does not compare with the "spring" on the Blade. The Blade is slightly more massive than the Camelback and is as long as my Vibroplex Presentation bug. I've been using this key exclusively for over a year for all my SKCC activities including several 24-hour sprints. Never got tired using it; it's just a very comfortable straight key to use. Doesn't move around the desk, easy to adjust and looks great.

This is my sixth Begali, including four paddles and the aforementioned Camelback. As mentioned elsewhere the key comes extremely well packed and Bruna is a joy to deal with. This is a keeper for sure, unless Piero dreams up something better. I'm spoiled by Begali keys and now seriously eyeing the Intrepid.

73 de K6ELQ Tony
SKCC 10250S

K2ROC Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2013 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Holy smokes!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my new Blade key today. It was so well packed that I thought I might have to use my table saw to get to it. What a stunning piece of craftsmanship! Right out of the box it works flawlessly, and makes sending almost automatic. Very, very pleased!

W8FB Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice key  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very nice key, but I still keep going back to my Baumuster T2 (Lorenz key). The old German military keys just have a feel that I like

W2TAC Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 12:33 Send this review to a friend
A True Work of Art!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have one rig -- an Elecraft KX3 -- but three keys: a Vibroplex bug I purchased in 1974, the Begali Sculpture paddle and the Begali Blade straight key. I'm a happy ham!

After owning the Begali Sculpture paddle for one month, I knew I had to order the Begali Blade for straight key events. They complement each other nicely on my desk -- the gorgeous stainless steel Sculpture and stunning gold-plated Blade. Unbelievable workmanship with flair to boot!!

You'll hear it over and over in the Begali reviews -- the Begali family customer service is unsurpassed. Multiple, courteous and friendly e-mails from Bruna from order through delivery; the packaging/"out-of-the-box" experience is exceptional.

My advice: splurge.... you will not be disappointed.

Bob
W2TAC

K3GC Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2012 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Perfect !!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really wondered if a simple straight key could be that much better than all the rest and purchased my Begali Blade mostly due to its beauty. This is my third Begali so I knew it was going to be good but oh my, my expectations were exceeded yet again.
It is simply the very best that there is and Begali service sets new standards with each experience - Bruna, you are the best.
A few reviews back the reviewer stated that the Bagali Blade could not be adjusted so that it would respond to blowing on the finger guard. I question whether that person ever used a Blade. It took me only a few minutes to adjust my Blade to send with a breath. So much for that allegation.
I was a bit surprised to find that I had to wire the cable which I have not had to do with my other Begalis. No biggy - if a ham cant make a couple of solder connections shame on him.

DK6NK Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Dream-Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a proud owner of the Begali-Blade straight CW-key. I have been licensed as a amateur radio operator since 1968 and worked strictly CW for about 35 years. For about 12 years I taught Morse-Code in Nuremberg schools, getting interested persons ready for the licensing test.
I always used very fine professional straight keys but I believe the "Blade" is the "Stradivari" under the straight keys. It is perfect, especially in the mechanical design, construction and weight which is a guaranty for not sliding around, no matter what the underground is. The blade with the Swedish-Pump lever works faster and is more relaxing then other hand-keyes during long QSOs. The German dealer, Armin, has the right logo in the internet, "Dreampaddies", a fitting name. Armin seems very competent, fair and friendly. The Blade looks very good and works excellent.

KF7BYU Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2012 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Best key made today  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect in every aspect. Flawless construction and design. You can send for hours without any fatigue. It replaces my Navy Flameproof and Bencher keys because it's actually better than either of them. A pump key with a better action than the Swedish Pump. Plus the Begali family is the most friendly and polite I've ever dealt with. In my opinion, it's better than the GHD keys which cost twice as much. Definitely the best straight key available today at any price.