Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Blade Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Blade
Begali Blade Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $255
Description: High-performance straight key based on "Swedish Pump" design
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Blade.

BWOETTKE Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2010 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Exquisite Pump Key  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this key for almost a year now, and it has displaced the Junker from my desk which, to me, was the pinnacle of straight keys. Since I have no talent to send Morse code by blowing on the knob, the Blade feels perfect to me, and I like the heft of the long lever and the fine adjustments. Among all the straight keys in my display cabinet, this among the best made, and certainly the best looking.

G3YUH Rating: 4/5 Feb 2, 2010 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Above average  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One should not get carried with singing the praises of the Blade simply because it looks good, I agree It is a nice key and very well made, but it uses the old flat spring tensioner idea as both pivot and tensioner, this by it's very nature is resistive, OK if you like that in a key, but compare it with an Amplidan or a Marconi 365 and it's simply no contest, a fine action key in my book should be able to be set so light that you can just blow on the finger guard to send code, you can't do that with a Blade no matter how it is adjusted..

K4OSO Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2009 06:26 Send this review to a friend
The Blade -- Beautiful, well-designed straight key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Blade, serial no. 004, arrived just before the Dayton weekend. I was first impressed by the sheer size of the Blade. Because of camera perspective, the pictures in QST make the Blade seem rather small. Not so. The Blade is truly massive.

In use, the key has a very smooth, solid feel which is contributed to by its very large knob,
which is quite tall. When resting my finger tips on the lower ledge (skirt) of the knob, the top portion is cupped in the second joint of my fingers, giving me a great deal of control.
Since I am normally not a real straight key aficionado, I can't really do a comparative analysis of the Blade against other keys but, I can say the Blade is out of the league of both my J37 and Navy Flameproof. Due to my setup, with limited space on the desk, I send European style with my elbow and forearm in space.
The mass of the Blade allows me to really lean into it.
Due to its design, there is no lateral play in the Blade's arm....none,.zip,.zero,.nada! There are no trunion pin ends to bind, and no adjustment for pressure on bearings. The up and down movement as well as the lateral stability of the Blade's arm are all controlled by the blade (small letters). There may be other keys that utilize this system but, as I said, I'm no authority.
Originally, I was of the impression the Blade was not capable of sending with very light pressure. However, upon consultation with the folks at Begali, I was guided to the proper procedure to make the touch of the Blade as light as the proverbial feather. I would suggest Begali include these instructions along with the key. The Blade is a serious straight key that seems to hold adjustment well, and is capable of long periods of sending without fatigue.
I can't imagine a more impressively beautiful SK tool sitting on my operating desk.

W2BFE Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2009 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is not just a key, it is a telegraph instrument. Its massive iron base and non-skid feet hold it in place on my glass-topped table. It is as much a pleasure to use as to look at, with its beautifully machined, gold-plated parts, clean modern design and superb craftsmanship. It is comfortable to use with its large navy-style knob and is quiet in operation. Best key in my 60 years of CW operation.