Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Pearl Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Pearl
Begali Pearl Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $350
Description: Iambic paddle with magnetic adjustments and gold/palladium/nickel plating
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Pearl.

N4KW Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 17:13 Send this review to a friend
A new experience for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You do not have to worry about it arriving damaged, the packing and packaging was superb. It comes with a small cable, with 1/8" male stereo plugs at each end, one for the paddle and the other for rig or keyer. It also comes with a feeler gauge for contact spacing, a micro fiber cloth for cleaning and a plastic dust cover. This paddle made me realize that I have been adjusting my other iambic paddles somewhat like I would a speed key(Bug)no more moving the wrist like you would with a bug. It's now just a slight touching of the thumb and index finger. it's real smooth and solid no slop or noise and does not move around. A pleasure to use and yes I am still getting use to feel of it and it feels great. Would I purchase another one "You Bet". Thank you Bruna for all your help. 73, Pete, N4KW

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2016 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned many different paddles over the years, vibroplex, schurr, kent, bencher models. Some were very good and others just average. I decided to treat myself to a new Begali Pearl. I chose the Palladium and Gold model, with the metallic red paddles. The key is absolutely beautiful, and I am very pleased with that choice. The praise and high reviews of this paddle are with merit. This is hands down the finest paddle I've ever used. Absolute superb quality craftsmanship. This is my all-time favorite paddle and well worth the investment. I would buy this paddle again without hesitation.

K2MR Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2015 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product.   Time owned: months
For those considering ordering a Bengali Pearl Key, I will share my experience. The key I had been using left a lot to be desired. I have used Vibroplex and Benchers, etc. For my taste, there was too much slop in the mechanisms. I read all of the reviews on this site and even considered another brand of key that got good reviews and was less expensive. But if I went in that direction, I would always end up second guessing myself. So, I placed an order for the Pearl. I didnít check my e-mail to find that Bruna needed my phone number for shipping purposes. By the time I did check, rather than delay my order, she went the extra mile and found my number in white pages and had the key on the way. In short, from the time I ordered to when the key arrived was ten days! During the process, via e-mail exchanges, Bruna treated me like I was her only customer. Thank you Bruna, you are the best. As for the key, it too, in my opinion is the best. When I opened the box, it appeared that the paddles had no movement between contacts. I thought maybe they were tightened for shipment. But I followed the directions which said they were set at the factory and connected it to my rig as it arrived. Wow! Precision! No slop. It is a very high quality product that is a pleasure to use. It arrived with a connecting cable with a 1/8 inch stereo male plug on each end. If your rig accepts a ľ inch plug, pick up an adapter while your key is being shipped, because you will want to put the Pearl on the air as soon as it arrives! In my opinion, you cannot find finer people to work with than the Bengalis nor will you find a better product. 73 Ron K2MR

N4CR Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Smooth as imported silk!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Coming from a 50 year old Vibroplex single arm to this was such a difference there's no way to compare them.

The feel of the Pearl is delicate and flawless yet heavy and robust. The adjustments are so very precise. This keyer is better than I am... if I make a mistake, it's MY mistake, not the keyer. Clearly a cut above every keyer I've touched. The Vibroplex was sloppy in comparison and could never be adjusted as delicately as the Pearl.

I chose the Professional base. Not that it changes my opinion of the key in any way but I did have a magnet stick solidly to the base. That means the base is steel and not brass in this configuration. And I would have preferred a polished brass top rather than painted. Had that been made clear in the web descriptions I might have chosen differently in the appearance options. Regardless, that is all nit picking. Everyone who has seen the key, including me, calls it a work of art without even touching it.

I'm completely satisfied with this beautiful Begali Pearl. It's amazingly smooth and precise at a level that I had no idea could be achieved. Bravo to Pietro Begali, you have my gratitude.

K0MD Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2014 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Simply...the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three Begalis - all are superb and have a unique purpose in my ham activities. The PEARL is the smoothest and I can send CW the fastest with it. Its finish is amazing and the quality is exactly what one would expect of a Begali key.

You cannot go wrong with any of their keys but this one is likely the best $ investment they sell.

2E0YAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2013 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Perfect,,,,,just perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What more can I say?

I ordered my key and within 2 weeks it was sitting on my bench looking beautiful. The whole process was very quick and very easy.

Bruna Begali made me feel like I was the only person in the world that mattered!

The key is flawless, works extremely well, does not move around on the bench and makes me smile each time I look at and use it.

In short....it's a keeper!!!

73 de Frank.

K7KEY Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2013 13:01 Send this review to a friend
What A Beauty  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using a Bencher chrome paddle for years, I ordered the Begali Pearl. Everything others have written about the great customer service ethic of the Begali family matches my experience. The paddle arrived, by DHL Express, just 12 days after placing my order. The total charged to my credit card, at today's exchange rate, was $368 including express shipping. Packaging was carefully executed.

I opted for the Palladium and Gold model, with the metallic red paddles. The color scheme is fantastic, and I am very pleased with that choice.

Now, as far as mechanical quality, I had always thought that the Bencher paddle was well crafted; but the Begali Pearl stands head and shoulders above. Superb! Superb! Superb! It drives like a dream. Contact points appear perfectly parallel face to face, with the perfect degree friction on the contact adjustment screws. No clunky set screws to lock down the contact posts, like the Bencher. No special allen wrench needed for adjustment. The magnetic return design feels transparent to me . . . I can't image how anyone can discern it from spring return . . . but it is easy to see how the magnetic return makes possible a more compact design along with perfectly consistent execution.

The Bencher paddle weighs in at 2.9 lbs. The Pearl weighs 3.6 lbs. The Pearl sits perfectly flat on the desktop, and seems to require about 50% more force to start it sliding over the desk top, which is a good thing.

I evaluate the Pearl as a simple and elegant design, perfectly executed. Sr. Begali seems to have taken full advantage of modern CNC machining methods, and metal finishing processes. As others have written, I imagine myself happily owning this paddle for the rest of my life, and passing it on to grandkids, who just might be touched by the beauty of "That thing that Grandpa used to talk in code on the radio."

I feel like I received amazing value for my money. I chose the Pearl model mostly because I liked the look of the elegant shape, along with the color scheme of palladium and gold finish with the red paddles. What a delight that the Pearl was a couple of hundred dollars lower in cost than some other Begali models.

IK6BAK Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2012 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the fortune to meet Mr. Piero Begali at various fairs and each time try all keys of his production.
I fell in love at the first touch of Pearl, and it still remains my favorite key.
Precise, perfectly balanced, responsive, any kind of bounce or redundancy, dry, even at high speed it does not miss a beat.
I used a dynamometer to adjust each paddle at 23 grams, the optimal weight for me.
Furthermore the round base allows my fingers to move freely on both sides without obstacles.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2012 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Masterpiece  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my Platinum Pearl with red paddles a short time ago. Bruno truly builds masterpieces of engineering. The key itself is visually stunning, gold against platinum, and the key adjustment is simple and effective. The feel of the key while transmitting is silky smooth, something that attracted me to Begali keys in Dayton this past May, and has led me to the Pearl. It is an investment, not a purchase. Order one and you'll see.

K3GC Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2012 12:33 Send this review to a friend
More of the Same undiluted excellence  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second Begali. I bought it for the best of technical reasons. It is beautiful - I think it is the most beautiful of all.

I feel repetitious in stating that the quality and workmanship is without peer.

My other Begali is a Stradivarius and I wont consider selling it - does that say enough?

So, which one is the better key - beauty notwithstanding. Man, this is tough. The Pearl is smooth as silk. The magnetic return can go so light that a breath of air will start it sending.
On the other hand the torsion bar of the Stradivarius provides friction free keying and it has the same magnetic return.

For me, it's a dead heat. A more sensitive, better, faster and more experienced ham than I may be able to discern a difference.

Meanwhile I will stay with the new love of my life though her beauty tends to distract from the job at hand - to wit, sending code. Fickle? Me? Nahhh
In summary - any Begali key is best in its class - hands down.
Expensive, but well worth it - hey, it's only money.

We really need to go higher than five in these reviews.